HMS Victory by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Del Prado - Restoration

Hola Dan, nice to hear that you feel better now.

I am also starting the placement of deadeyes on the chainboards so I will follow your procedures with interest.

Saludos, Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for looking in, and the nice comments John, David, Bindy and Karl.

I am also starting the placement of deadeyes on the chainboards so I will follow your procedures with interest.

Don't follow me TOO closely Karl - I'm still trying to make a "Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear" and I'm rather limited by the work that had already been done and also the very poor fittings etc of this kit. It might be better to follow another build ;) .

Hi all,

I've spent a good portion of the last eleven days working on this one again, while still managing to get a bit of "holiday stuff" in :D .

Below are some pics, taken several days apart, as work on the Standing Rigging progressed. The first was taken two days after the re-commencement of work and shows all the Lower Shrouds completed, :

Standing Rigging 001.jpg

Work starts on the most tedious part - the Ratlines. I faithfully (?) followed the Kit Instructions with the spacing of these, as they were at least twice as far apart as they should be (saved me about three days work :D ) :

Standing Rigging 002.jpg

Standing Rigging 003.jpg

Standing Rigging 004.jpg

Two and a half days later all the lower ratlines were completed and the Futtock Shrouds installed :

Standing Rigging 005.jpg

Standing Rigging 006.jpg

Standing Rigging 007.jpg

Continued next Post ........

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

..... continued.

The Lower Forestays were fitted in a day and a half, starting with the Mizzen Mast and working forward. This is back-to-front to the way I would normally do it, but the work environment dictated it to be the better way as I didn't have a great lot of space to turn the model on my bench :

Standing Rigging 008.jpg

The attachment around the mast top is a reasonable facsimile of the real thing, using a "mouse" made simply by tying a double knot around the stay ;) :

Standing Rigging 009.jpg

Standing Rigging 013.jpg

I had to use Deadeyes for the lower ends of the stays, as no Heart Blocks were supplied in the kit :

Standing Rigging 011.jpg

Standing Rigging 012.jpg

Continued next Post .....

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

...... continued.

Four days later and the Upper Shrouds are completed, including their Ratlines :

Standing Rigging 014.jpg

Standing Rigging 015.jpg

The futtock shroud ratlines took a couple of hours :

Standing Rigging 016.jpg

The Topmast Forestays were all fitted :

Standing Rigging 017.jpg

Finally I added two Bowsprit Shrouds. The kit instructions didn't show ANY :huh::angry:  . I had to use four modified blocks, as there were only two deadeyes left and they were both damaged beyond repair :

Standing Rigging 018.jpg

Standing Rigging 019.jpg

More work will come in a week.

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you David, Ben and John :) .

This time I only had a six day stint at my van, so I thought I'd spend as much time as possible on this build. I managed six hours per day :) .

The kit instructions had me glue a stopper block under the Boom and Gaff and then glue them both to the mizzen mast - YUCKO :( . I made up two yokes from scrap ply :

Finished 001.jpg

Finished 002.jpg

Finished 003.jpg

Finished 004.jpg

Continued next post ......

Cheers, Danny

..... continued

Below are a couple of pics of the completed Standing Rigging :

Finished 005.jpg

Finished 006.jpg

The start of the Bowsprit rigging :

Finished 007.jpg

About now I realized my camera battery was running low, so not many progress pics were able to be taken. Here all the Yards have been attached and the Running Rigging is complete :

Finished 008.jpg

Finished 009.jpg

I'll take some more closeup pics of the rigging next trip. Bear in mind that I've done a VERY simplified rigging - virtually only the Lifts and Braces for each Yard. I might add the Sheets and Tacks for the lower yards - that area looks a bit bare.

Last pic is of the port anchor :

Finished 010.jpg

Apart from painting and fitting the ship's boats the build is now complete. The remaining work will take me a couple of hours, but that will be next week. Then I can deliver the ship to the owner :) .

Cheers, Danny

You're turning lead into gold! It's looking great despite what you started with.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

The transformation is incredible Danny, as is the speed at which you've accomplished this. The owner should be delighted! Don't forget to post a final "before" and "after" series of photos before you close the log.

You mention in your first log "Being the sucker I am"...

I just wanted to mention that I don't see a sucker or a mistake, but rather a caring individual that has the amazing ability of transmutation. Having this completed and as a living memory of your friends father is a huge act of love, empathy and generosity. You've helped create an heirloom, a tie to our heritage, which is one of the reasons for this hobby to preserve the old knowledge and memories. Your an inspiration Dan.

You have definitely got the Midas touch, without his greedy heart.

I actually enjoy restoration logs more then build logs. You are a true craftsman and the transformation is incredible! On top of that you are a gentlemen and I am sure your friend will be overcome when she sees the ship completed and It will be a lasting tribute to her father. Well done Sir!

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the kind comments Patrick, Grant, Keith, Rowan Elia, Mark, Tony, Lawrence and Row :) .

Well this project is finally finished and delivered to it's owner - to say she was delighted with the result would be an understatement :) . I told her at the start that I'd have to charge her for any materials I had to buy, and she said that was no problem at all. Total expenses were just under $150 for such things as a bottle of Acetone, another of Turps, paint, extra timber, glue, knife blades etc. I was going to donate my labour, but she would have none of that and I received a very nice surprise when I opened the envelope with the money later that day - an extra $100 :) . My total labour worked out at about 80c an hour, but like I said I would have been quite happy to do it for free :D .

Here are the pics of the finished ship, with a couple of "before's" under some of them :

Finished 013.jpgVictory (6).jpg

Finished 016.jpgVictory (2).jpg

Finished 011.jpg

Finished 012.jpg

Finished 014.jpg

Finished 015.jpg

Finished 017.jpg

Please ignore the way she's rigged - my aim was always to make this a "decoration", not a historically correct model. I only rigged the Lifts and Braces to all the yards, and threw in the Sheets and Tacks for the Fore and Main Masts to help "fill in the gaps". The rigging fulfills that aim. BTW - I know the Braces for the Main Yards should have been around the other way (i.e. toward the Mizzen Mast), but it would have left too much empty space in the middle ;) .

I'm already a fair way into my next "holiday van" project - a similar situation to this project where the original builder passed away before completing his model of an Artesania Latina "King of the Mississippi" and I'm completing it for his family. Here's a LINK to it if you're interested.

Work will also be done on "Vulture" in the meantime :) .

Cheers, Danny

Wow! what a difference...... you made some one very happy!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Outstanding job Danny. I guess that having been paid now means that you can list your occupation as "Professional Model Builder". ;)

Wow, what a difference!

From something worth a rubbish bin, to something that should be treasured for years to come.  I am glad it was appreciated (as I am sure it will be by anyone who sees it) but I am not too surprised that someone who gives and does as much as you do, was flattered and happy with the "bonus" of that size  :)

Excellent rebuild and Grant is right... add the title "Professional".  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work Danny!!! You really turned out a gem from a lump of coal. I'm very impressed and your work continues to amaze and inspire.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

What sort of sorcery is this? You are truly a gifted magician!! Your skills and kindness give us all something to aspire to.

Best wishes,

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Wonderful job, Dan. My thoughts go out to your friends father. I imagine he's looking down now and saying "THAT'S how it looked in my head! Thanks buddy!"

Builds in progress:

Mamoli Gretel

Constructo Enterprise

Future builds:

Amati Santa Maria (and 15 others that caught my eye....)