HMS Victory by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Del Prado - Restoration

WOW Dan,

You have certainly made a silk purse from a sows ear, as they say.

I started that part work about 10yrs ago and almost immediately ditched most of the timber supplied, (the second planking was a joke) and most of the cast metal parts. I have been working on it ,on and off, ever since, trying to make a more historically accurate and better made representation of HMS  Victory.

Well done again.

Regards

Alan 

Well done Danny!  She looks great.  It also has to be a record for one of the fastest HMS Victory builds.  

• 1 year later...
how do you feel about Krick HMS Victory (Mantua) Kit ?

I have no idea how good or bad that kit is - better ask someone who has made one.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi Danny.

I don't know how you done it But you have just Compleated mission impossible. There's no way I would take this mission.

Just goes to show your skills as a model maker and restorer.

Stunned .

I remember the first post.. Thinking to myself ... He will bin this one.. Thers no way that anything can be done.

It's a lot harder correcting other's work.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 1 year later...

G'day Danny

I shouldn't be amazed at the transaction because YOU did it. But memattie, its hard to believe it's the same model. As Mark said a touch of professionalism!

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 1 month later...

Dan,

Just ran across your "renovation" of the HMS Victory for a friend. I am in the process of "reclaiming" an HMS Victory model, since it was just too much effort to simply trash it. Don't really know idf it was scratch-built or from a model, but the hull and masts/spars were very well done - even the figurehead. If still available. I would sure like to see how you finished the standing rigging.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Congratulations Dan. I have the same 'kit' here, discovered it at the back of my workshop while tidying up.. I started my own thread about this model a week or so ago and decided to complete it as a decoration piece as, (a) buying all the extras to make it accurate would be better invested in buying a decent kit of the Victory and (b) it will good practice for me in planking etc. (Currently working on Billings Steam Pinnace and my first efforts required filler!). My mother-in-law gave me the subscription to the Victory back in the early 2000's as a Christmas present; she past away a few years ago and I feel I should finish it in her memory. My father-in-law was a Navy man, so anything nautical was close to her heart.

I know what you mean about the instructions, my favourite being. '...look exactly as it did when Nelson was the captain: blue and yellow above the plimsol line...' Wow, three errors in one sentence! the original blurb tells us the model was created by 'expert naval historians and model makers'... really?

I too am impressed by the original builder getting as far as he did; well done for honouring his memory with your work.

Danny,

Amazing recovery on the model.  I can only pray that someone would be that generous to my family if I left something unfinished.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 year later...

Hi Dan

Like yourself. I have been given what I think is a Del Prado Victory.

The previous owner appears to have given up when they got to the hull cladding stage.

I instruction sheets 

Structure 1 to 76

External elements 1 to 30

Rigging 1 to 22b

I assume in the pile of bits that I have the supporting parts

Can you advise me if I have a full kit or what else I need to purchase.

I  am 82, a retired aircraft engineer and have made bespoke models from matchsticks for over 60 years.

I would really like to take this even if I haven't a clue of sip construction

Regards

Richard Frampton 

Wow I'm speechless. This is some amazing restoration work, it almost feels like it would be easier to build it from new ;)

Can't wait to see more rigging...

Regards

Tom

Current Builds:

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1/84

HMS Victory Build

We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing...

That is very sad news. My sincere condolences to his family. A truly gifted man and always willing to help. His wonderful models will be a lasting legacy and will be appreciated by many, many people. Our hobby will miss a very clever gentleman.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi