HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Beautiful workmanship Ben! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Everyone for the likes and comments.

Mast Partner layouts glued onto some boxwood blanks to start making them.

9881D19B-EA24-4A8A-883D-0C532E2D6452.jpeg

Thanks Everyone 

Mast partners completed, I was thinking about adding hatch gratings but have decided not to to allow what can be seen of below as much as possible.

now to decide on what to work on next.

ben

C32B0281-C888-443B-A26B-ACB358737C5A.jpeg

Hi Kenny,

I’m not much of a one for giving other people advice, just take your time and try not to accept something that you know is not right.

Getting the spacing and symmetry correct can be tough if you want a really good result - I can’t count how many times I remade things on the lower platforms and lower deck - but I’m now happy with my results.

One thing I’m doing differently from now on is using Black fishing line instead of copper wire and LOS to simulate bolts, much easier and looks better and more consistent to me.

ben

LOS = Liver of Sulphur.

What I have comes in small "rocks".

You mix a very small amount in hot water.

The water turns a shade of yellow.

You drop your copper part into it and mix it around for a few seconds, take it out, rinse it off to stop the reaction and your done.

The part must be cleaned in soapy water, and rinsed off, and then washed off in (rubbing) alcohol to remove all dirt, grim, oil (finger marks) first.

After the cleaning you handle the part with cleaned tweezers so as not to recontaminate it.

There are safer, easier, liquid products that will oxidize the copper.  But the item must still be cleaned.

LOS - 1.jpg

LOS - 2.jpg

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Regarding safer, easier methods of blackening metals...

This is a link to the blog page of our local club website.

scroll down to our 13th of January  meeting and Ray describes what and how.

https://modelshipwrightsofniagara.weebly.com/blog

Regarding fishing line for faux bolts.

I do this also, using black monofilament.  It comes in different diameters so you find one closest to your scale.  It comes in a spool that will likely do your whole build.  I did not invent this but learnt about it here on the forums.

I cut off a length (about a foot), rough it up with sand paper so my yellow wood glue will hold (something to grip to), wipe the end and sides in the glue and insert the filament in the predrilled hole.  Then I cut it off with scissors and let it dry.  I go back and cut it flush with a scalpel.   I've tried to remove a couple and it was impossible!

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to do a little work on the exterior, so the new Knee of the Head was made and installed, then final fairing and sanding to 220/400 was completed below the Wales and 1st coat of finish applied ( 50% danish oil / 50% mineral spirits ), the wales took some damage during sanding and will have to be re-dyed later on.

Im quite happy with the color that the Swiss pear has taken on with this type of finish.

Next up - remove the knight heads and fair the top timber line, then proberbly start the stern framing.

ben

5ED4370E-3F48-4AD2-AF33-57D5453972C3.jpeg

66404D9B-070F-437D-9840-08812E46A1C5.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

She's looking great Ben, you must be pleased to see her taking on some of her 'finish' now.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat,

yeh - it’s kinda nice to see some coloring on her, I machined some boxwood today that I will use for upper planking, that creamy yellow really looks nice IMO next to that deep red/pink of the Swiss pear and the deep black of the dyed wales.

as always - we shall see what next week brings - probably two steps forward and one back as usual.

ben

Beautiful, Ben! Are you thinking of installing ribands below the wales (assuming you are not planking the lower hull)?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for all the likes.

Greg - no lower planking or ribands.

Kenny - don’t follow me to closely as I might lead you down the wrong path 😳

Edited by Trussben

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

I decided to start work on the exterior planking above the wales, the wales themselves were masked off as you can see to try and protect them somewhat.

Im going to try and follow my planking plan as close as the hull allows.

First 3 strakes completed and beginning on the fourth, and it’s quite close to plan so far.

ben

C8389385-F79A-481C-B0A8-4F706A37EB78.jpeg

C441D1F8-9B3F-47EA-A2D8-2AED7D5A29D0.jpeg

5E258101-F159-4452-AE42-52CAECC9C245.jpeg

F96A384A-B314-498B-8DDE-0CB3593D2CA1.jpeg

That bow view looks spot on Ben. Well done!  That aft second strake above the wales looks like it was a doozie to make.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Work on Pegasus has begun again, the first 4 strakes  above the wales have been installed and now I’m treenailing while I can see the framing positions.

I’m using boxwood for treenail material drawn down to #18 hole on Byrnes plate, and I’m glad that it’s pretty subtle so far.

ben

7C2403B9-5929-4CA3-8C3B-2DAD1C815C20.jpeg

I think #18 is 0.018 diameter x 48 (at 1:48 SCALE) = about 7/8" diameter full size.

May I ask: What thickness is the plank?

Alan O'Neill