HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Those are tricky little timbers! A bracing piece inside the hull between the cants and outer counter timber (at the toptimber line) is indeed the way to go. I left the fillers quite full and faired them in place.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

So here is the counter timbers, fillers and QB light port completed and rough faired inside and out.

I also added some thick batterns internally to help support this framing.

ben

IMG_2095.JPG

Brilliant, Ben! So, are you going to carve those beautiful toptimber profiles in place or fake them by adding them later (as most of us have done). If you are doing the latter I'd recommend removing them now as its much easier to get a fair toptimber line without them.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Greg, I will proberbly be following the rest of you and cut them off as I'm going to plank both sides from the wales up.

ben

Really nice work there Ben, even roughly faired the finish looks great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

In preparation for marking out and installing the main wales, I made my own external planking layout in CAD using information from TFFM, Pegasus side draft and the planking expansion of Hornet 1776 from NMM that I managed to get a copy of ( ZAZ5119 ).

A word of caution to others using the Hornet plan - it is badly out of scale and distorted - but it's fine for general layout concept.

ben

IMG_2096.JPG

Edited by Trussben

Very nicely done Ben. Great idea on the planking layout too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hmm, I see what you mean Druxey, the water coming out of the scupper could cause rot at the butt joint below it, maybe move it back one frame would be enough you think? That would then make it about 18 inches aft of the scupper.

• 4 weeks later...

Work on the main Wales is underway, I’ve decided to put one strake of Holly below the Wales,  and Boxwood planking above. I’m hoping it ‘pops’ the way I want.

ben

EF83243E-7449-4C38-B691-3FFF7B94E042.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

The contrast really makes the wales pop Ben; nice work.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Ben,

I’ve been lurking throughout your build and think that the Pegasus is turning out to a beautiful and fantastic model ship, especially given the trials and tribulations you’ve gone through. The Wales look great and your idea of the holly and boxwood really does make them “pop”.  Are the wales ebony or did you dye or paint them in some way.  Would you please share your process, in the picture they look a deep, dark, and even black.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi, and thanks for all the likes and comments.

John, the Wales are in Top and Butt style and made out of Swiss pear just like the hull framing and then dyed black using Fiebigs black leather dye with several coats. Between coats I used a scraper to smooth them and a fine sandpaper to create a fine black dust which gets forced into any tiny gaps between the planking - this was finally buffed with a soft cloth, then 4 coats of Watcos oil was applied and then also buffed to give a deep luster.

This makes the planking seams almost disappear until you get up real close.

The problem using dye is that it can bleed into other areas ( framing ) and you have to be careful with its application. I didn’t use ebony as it’s very hard and brittle and doesn’t bend well at all, I have a load of ebony on my wood rack but will just use it for small or straight pieces for highlights or small pieces.

Hope that helps

ben

Thanks Ben,

I’ve about the use of Fiebigs in the past.  How do you keep from bleeding during application.  I would imagine that the 4 coats Watco will prevent any future bleeding

Thanks,

John

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

John,

i used a few different ways to avoid the bleeding of the dye into unwanted areas. First I use a sharp blade to score the surface of the limit of where the dye can get to which creates stop line.

Also I use some good quality masking tape ( tamiya ) at the edge and then again some normal blue painters tape in the surrounding areas.

ben

Thanks again. J.

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

Don't rely 100% on masking tape to prevent bleeding of dye! For wales, I dye them before applying other planking. To dye to a line (for instance on a mast), I cut a stop-line in the wood with a new scalpel blade. This prevents wicking of dye through the end grain to where I don't want it. Practice on scrap to see this simple but effective technique.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Like David, I do my dye work off the model whenever possible. However, my wales have been a bit beaten up and need refinishing on the model. I will use both scores and tape when reapplying and mask off everything else. I treat Fiebigs dye like it was toxic. One errant drop could destroy months of work.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

These are the tips I snip and paste into my reference library.

When I ever get to this stage I'd never remember them!

Thank you.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Beautiful work.  When I was deciding how to color my wales I tried using the dye and did the cost:benefit analysis.  It looks great but one mistake and the damage is irreparable.  I used Chuck's suggestion and painted the wale with several (4 or 5 as I recall) thin coats of acrylic paint, sanding or scraping between each coat.  This is a lot easier to touch up from the inevitable bumps and bruises.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Nerves of steel.  I can't imagine messing up so much work with just a single shake of the hand.  I guess you can cover some of it with another row of planking.  

Hi,

The pictures show installation of the limber strakes next to the Keelson has begun. These strakes have a rebate set into them that was cut using the Byrnes saw, they are 12 inches wide and 4.5 thick and are made out of boxwood.

The Kelson has also had its copper bolts installed as per TFFM and they are awaiting blackening with LOS.

ben

176E2D0E-EE98-411E-93F0-3D41BC25BFF0.jpeg

BCE55F57-2FF7-479F-BE4D-0A33D1EA20A8.jpeg

Edited by Trussben