HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Ben,  great chock.  Just getting right is a work of art.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Alan, Druxey and Mark,

I'm embarrassed to say that this was indeed V1.0, it worked out pretty well! Proberbly more luck than skill.
I just followed TFFM on how to make it, broke it down into the steps described by David and on the last step of getting the chock side angles I just took my time taking tiny slivers off each side until I found the angle to match.

I wish the damn hawse timbers had been as straitforward!

Ben

Edited by Trussben

First time on that chock???  You are a master.  post-76-0-10537700-1408222310.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well done Ben - a tricky piece mastered on the first attempt.  I'm impressed! :) 

Thanks Guys!

But like I say, I just followed TFFM and was proberbly very lucky! There are not many things on my Pegasus so far that came out correct first time around! Maybe that means I'm getting better at this!

Ben

Impressive work.

That is about the fifth time someone has mentioned TFFM ............... so I just bought the set.

Let us hope it brings me some of your luck

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I agree with Druxey that nailing that cross-chock the first time around is indeed impressive. Just for fun, you should make another to see if you could go two for two!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Great work on the chock.  This entire build is full of "I thought that would be harder" and "That was easier than it should have been".  Be careful of the latter because half the time that means it wasn't done correctly (voice of experience).   :D

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

This entire build is full of "I thought that would be harder" and "That was easier than it should have been"

I'm not sure you are reading my log Toni, maybe Remco's! :P :P :P  My log is full of "Had to remake this again" or "Thanks Druxey, I shall pull that part out and re-position again". :huh:

But I do take your warning to not become complacent.

ben

Ahoy Ben :D 

The way i see it; Its really just one big repair until its done. With each repair we learn a little more and make room for that information by forgetting what we learned on the last mistake.   :o

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Ahoy Ben :D

The way i see it; Its really just one big repair until its done. With each repair we learn a little more and make room for that information by forgetting what we learned on the last mistake.   :o

I think you just made a major discovery, JPett

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Fore Cants up to #10 have been installed, now to make #11 with the 2" cast top timber for the forward gunport.

Ben

post-234-0-64993600-1408907944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben

And she's actually starting to look like a ship.  Nice work, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Excellent work, Ben. You may wish to fabricate and temporarily fit frames L fore and 14 aft before raising those last cants. In a perfect world, your cant frames will fair right into the first full frames. Having those full frames ready as reference will show you how you have done. I must admit having to rework one cant and full frame to make a smooth flow after beveling. I suspect I had made an error transferring the half-breadth to the building board.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Michael and Augie.

Greg - I took your advice on the aft cants and installed 14aft, I am going to do the same up front with the forward gunport framing.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Grant.

And after making both L fore and L aft square frames I found that the cant frames 11 and 12 were not correct and did not give a nice line for fairing up, so they were removed and new ones are being made now.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very nice, Ben.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Ben,

I just had an enjoyable read catching up on your build. Your workmanship and

dedication to "getting it right" are outstanding!

Great work my friend. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout