HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

I kept wondering why I did not have your problem with Atalanta.  In Chicago we have wide variations in humidity, even with A/C in the summer.  Then I realized what I did differently.  Because I was planking one side of the hull, I deliberately left off some of the spacers out do allow a little light to enter the lower reaches of the hull.  This picture is from page one of the resurrected build log.

post-262-0-68485600-1361032857_thumb.jpg

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

When I had similar issues in my build (humidity drop during the winter), some spacers cracked and some frames twisted - the fix was to unglue the spacers on every 4th frame. So every 8th might not be enough?

Mike,

I'm going to follow Druxeys advice and only glue one side of the floor filler, that way if movement does occur it may make a gap but shouldn't cause the twisting that destroyed my original build.

Ben

I have a section of crown molding in my bedroom that always develops a gap in the winter and disappears in the summer. Is your workshop humidity controlled? Is the humidity the same as where the model will be displayed? If the eventual display area has a higher humidity do you leave a small gap now to allow for cumulative swelling of the hull later on? When I examine the Rogers ship model collection it seems like most of the gaps (besides glue failure) appear along joints influenced by humidity changes over the years.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Something for you contemplate when suffering from insomnia, Greg? ;)

There was a discussion earlier in this thread (around #420) on humidity control and seasonal issues.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hey, just because it's 80 degrees, the tequilas are non-stop and there's fine dining every evening doesn't absolve me of my mentoring duties while on vacation! Ben's shrinkage is of great concern to me.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 4 weeks later...

Another set of eight frames has been completed up to 2-fore, you can see how light the new pear framing is in color compared to the recovered old framing, the floor fillers for this section of framing has only been glued to the fore side of each frame so as to be able to "float" as per druxeys advice.

I am currently sanding and fairing it to match the after side framing.

Ben

post-234-0-99434300-1486159440_thumb.jpg

Looks good Ben, will the new timbers gain some colour with age and even out a bit?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat - absolutely they will, all the Swiss pear being used is out of the same master billet of wood I got from Jeff at Hobbymill when he was operating, no finish has touched anything so it is the natural darkening of the wood that is occurring.

Ben

Looking great, Ben.  It is amazing how these woods change color over time, even with a finish applied.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

If you do not use any finish - how do you avoid fingerprints that sometimes tend to leave darker (oliy/greasy) spots on the wood?

That natural look is awesome, but is it possible to maintain for a long time?

Mike - I have not used any finish YET, I will be using either sanding sealer for a rough hewn effect, or my normal WOP which I have used on other models. Another part of me wants to try using a oil based finish.

Anyway, until the hull is complete, all sanding and fairing complete there will be no finish applied.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, it's been a long time since an update due to a very heavy load working away so little modeling time to be had.

Another set of eight frames and a spacer frame have been installed up to B Aft, if you look closely you will see the rough cut out in the A-Frames for the fixed double block, and below the hull you can see the block bodies that have been made out of boxwood to match the hull planking when it's done.

The frames are just roughly faired and sanded to 100 grit just like the rest of the hull until hull is closed in.

So 16 frames are left to go to fill the gap, hopefully it won't be as long until the next update.

ben

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

Very nice work Ben. Glad to see you back at it.

Work sucks but does give us the funds to do what we love!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

See my illustration of a fixed block. I only found this out from the extract of the draught shown a couple of years ago. It makes sense for repair when necessary.

Fixed block rev.psd

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Slow but great work Ben.  It took me 14 years to complete a model when I was working and not to the quality you are showing.

Thanks for that info Druxey (and Chuck) very nice to know this type of detail.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looking great Ben. Your ports are lining up very fair. Are you still cutting the sill mortises prior to installing the frames?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Super nice work, Ben.  

Interesting find from Druxey...  learn something new here everyday.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)