HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Hi,

I will be starting my second scratch build and I chose HMS Pegasus 1776, Swan Class sloop, using the plans from Admiralty models and all four volumes of the TFFM books by David & Greg. Also a full set of plans was bought from NMM and the wood package from Hobbymill in Swiss Pear wood with some highlighting in Boxwood.

I intend to leave her mainly in frame with a small amount of external planking - maybe from wales up, and will be using fully chocked joints and correct framing using the Disposition of frames plan. Internally I'm thinking of only framing Upper Decks with some planking, possibly the lower deck but just framing. Depending on how I feel when I get to that point will be the decision on Rigging her.

I include pictures of the main keel parts completed, halving joints were used and cut on the JimSaw, the forward keel piece with the boxing joint was cut from larger stock on the scrollsaw and the joint was chiseled out with care.

This will be slow starting as I am in the middle of rebuilding my workshop and I am also going to be working on my Confederacy when I need a rest from Pegasus.

Here begins another journey. :)

ben

post-234-0-42172800-1388844913_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-62359100-1388844917_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to this so let me wish you a successful voyage.  Swiss pear looks beautiful.

Oh.... I LOVE 1:48

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice Ben you'll be treated with hours of fun.

Remco

Hi Ben,

Remco’s “hours of fun” will be joyfully measured in thousands not hundreds. ;)

This is a great model and I know you will do a wondeful job on it. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

A very good start, Ben.   I'll pull up a chair also. post-76-0-22790000-1388943009.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice start, Ben. I will follow your log with great interest

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you all for the interest you have shown in my Pegasus build.

I am currently pulling bamboo treenails though the Byrnes plate for the keel bolts, down to the smallest hole in the plate to match a #77 drill for a scale 7/8 bolt - tedious work but I don't need many at the moment.

Ben

Great looking project Ben.  I will be following along with much interest and so far you are doing a fantastic job of it!!!

Thanks Chuck.

Albert - I got the plans from Admiraltymodels.com and the TFFM books from Seawatch books, the other plans were from the National Maritime Meusem in Grenwich.

For some of the parts I have scanned in the plans to acad 2006 so I can manipulate and print out specific parts as I need to.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I somehow missed the start of this build log, but I'll pull up a chair in the front row and follow along from here. Looks like you're off to a great start.

• 2 weeks later...

A Small Update, Keel has been completed and false keel added, I like the contrast between the swiss pear and the boxwood, now I have started on the stem pieces.

ben

EDIT - Added missing picture back that was lost. 4-2-14

post-234-0-64258500-1396457603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben

Work has started on the lower apron, this is one complicated piece to make, I started by cutting the pattern out on 18" stock and trying at the moment to refine its shape to fit the stem pieces.

I actually cut two out and I will use one to practice cutting the steps for the cant frames.

This could take a while!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Small update,

Stem Pieces, Lower and Upper Apron and Fore Deadwood completed and glued to the keel.

I used some bamboo treenails and a #65 bit to add some heavy reinforcement to these pieces

as you can see.

Now I need to do the tapering up/down from 14" at top to 10" and the keel.

I have started making the aft deadwood pieces from 15" stock.

ben

post-234-0-40381800-1391628053_thumb.jpg

Looking really good Ben. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice start Ben. She's going to be a big one!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Really nice progress

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Work on the aft deadwood is well underway, also started the sternposts.

Ben

post-234-0-13141900-1392499323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trussben

Aft deadwood looks very nice so far! I assume that the 'overhang' at the keel is fullness for insurance at the moment.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for all the likes everybody.

Hi Druxey,

Actually the deadwood in that picture hasn't been attached to the keel yet and was just there sat balancing for the photo.

But I have left it a little "full" until the sternpost is installed and then I will do the final shaping at the end.

Edited by Trussben

good start!

Maury

Ben, nice starting work on your Pegasus. In regards to a comment further up the page, I'm curious as to what your future build will be.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks for the likes.

Patrick - I intend for the next build to be the 44gun Razee Frigate HMS Indefatigable, I have all the plans from NMM and working on and off with them in ACAD at the moment, but thats a long way in the future.

ben