USS Constitution by usedtosail - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1/76

Tom, your build is coming along and looking great! Don’t you just love doing the rigging :default_wallbash:

keep the great job you are doing.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Thanks Ken. I actually do enjoy the rigging a lot, but it does get challenging threading new lines through previous ones. I love the way yours came out and I am trying to emulate your precision as best I can. 

I built a crate for the Constitution model so I could move it and store it until the new workshop is ready. I used 1x4s and 3/8" OBS sheets. I built it in six panels that are screwed together with long sheet rock screws, so that I can take it totally apart later and store it for future uses. I first attached the two side and back to the bottom. I then screwed the working cradle down to the bottom after carefully placing it so the model would be centered. I also put some extra screws to make sure it would not be able to turn on the lazy susan.

DSC_0001-187.JPG.21796c16e619f746e4545cbbe84b3f9e.JPGDSC_0002-197.JPG.e16d4159c272a375776776eba190575b.JPG

I then carefully placed the model into the cradle. It fit nicely with plenty of room around it.

DSC_0004-166.JPG.df54d50cf11ffc759bc381bc6aa8d28a.JPG

I then screwed the front and the top on and it is now ready to move.

DSC_0005-146.JPG.401e6be5b0d6feed51e2759ab7669780.JPG

We are moving to our condo on Newfound Lake in New Hampshire. Our house in North Reading, MA goes on the market next week. My last day of full time employment will be June 15, and we expect to be all moved by the end of June. Part of the condo we rent out on a weekly basis in the summer, and we already had it rented for this summer, so I won't be setting up my new workshop until September, after our last rental. We won't be renting anymore after this summer, so I have a really nice room overlooking the lake to set up the workshop. I was sure I was going to use a back bedroom, but my great wife suggested I use the room with a view. I am taking the summer off, then will be able to work part time for the company I am semi-retiring from, so not full time retirement yet.

There won't be much activity on this log for a while, although I am still making rope coils and rope for the braces, lower sheets and tacks, and the davit rigging. I have started packing up my current workshop but will save the rope walk and rope coil jig until last.

Man well executed safe/storage preparation for the future.

Will miss the log....

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

That's one solid looking box. I can see that the boat cradle is solidly fastened to the box, but how is the model firmly attached to the cradle? It almost looks like  the cradle vise-grips the keel.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

It is a pressure fit and the keel shape keeps it from rotating. I will be careful not to tilt the crate when carrying it. I would have liked to hold the hull down more firmly, but didn't want to damage it with straps or attachments through the bottom.

Hi Tom - 

Best of success with the semi-retirement and the move.  I envy you your future workshop with a view of the lake.  Sweet!

As for straps, I have had good success - no movement and no damage - by taking some small-bubble bubble wrap and cutting a long, fairly wide strip which I roll into a strap.  This is run across the model amidships, maybe just aft of the boats, and held down with washers and screws to the base on either side.  This keeps the model from jumping in the base when/if your moving van hits a bump along the road.  The strap does not have to be very tight, just firm enough to prevent movement.  If you are worried about abrasion from the strap, a small piece of soft cloth along the rails will prevent that.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope to see your final progress soon.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

congratz!  the time has finally arrived...... :)    when you get to unpack 'er...I wouldn't toss the crate.  you'll need it for when the ship goes to the museum ;)   really top notch!   hope everything goes smoothly for you.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye but I don't think that will be happening. I do plan to keep the crate, which I can disassemble into panels, in case I need to move another model in the future. The crate won't be moved for a few weeks yet, but we are having an open house next weekend and I didn't want to leave the model out in the open during it. I am in the process of packing up all the sharp tools for similar reasons. I am looking forward to joining you in the Granite State.

Edited by usedtosail

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a need to update this log, just to keep connected with you all. As previously shown, the Constitution is all crated up and the crate sits in the garage, waiting to be moved when we move the furniture. The workshop has been packed up and all of the tools and supplies moved to a storage unit in NH. All that is left are the workbenches, which will also be moved with the furniture. I am still making rope coils and lengths of rope for the braces and davits, but I am about to run out things to do soon. We still have to pack up the rest of the house but not until we have a final moving date. We had open houses this weekend and the realtor says to expect a few offers tomorrow, so we may know something soon. I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed. Four weeks of work left before I retire, so things are winding down there too.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend to all of you who celebrate it. I will be getting the full size boat ready for the lake. In the mean time, i will be living vicariously through all your build logs until I can get back to modeling.

glad to hear everything is going according to plan :)   I am envious good buddy!......love to be able to kick the job to the curb!   seriously raising a glass to you !:cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye. Don't worry, your time will come, probably sooner than you think. It certainly did for me. We accepted an offer on the house last night, so the move is on for mid June. Now to pack the rest of the house...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Just an update on the state of the move of my completed four models - one went to my daughter's condo, one to my son's apartment, and two to our NH home. My daughter's (Sultana) fit into the back seat of the truck no problem in the case, so that move went well. My son's (Beagle) was a different story. The case was too big to fit into the back seat, so I took the top off and took the model out. I placed the model on the front seat with some padding around it and it made it to his apartment with no problem. Luckily it was only about 10 miles away. The other two (Santisima Trinidad Cross Section and Dapper Tom) both fit in the back seat at the same time, so I only had to make one trip. We have a signed Purchase and Sale on our house, so we should close at the beginning of July. Only this week and next of work until I retire.

RETIREMENT!?

I do wish you the best in that my friend.  It is a big adjustment in your live.  I retired three times before I got it right,

What is your next model?

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks Dave. It is really a semi-retirement, as I may be doing some part time work for my current employer after the summer. We shall see.

I think the next model will be the Dumas Cris Craft. I have been wanting to build it for some time, and there is no rigging to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom:
I have finally reached a point in my build where I need to spend more time researching and studying your work for personal guidance.  The mast assemblies are finally done and I am getting ready to begin adding strings.

At this point, my feeble efforts to make sense of the horrible Instruction Manual from Model Shipways is actually embarrassing for me.
I honestly don't know what I would do without the amazing logs provided by you and Ken.  I catch myself looking at your logs as if I have never built a model ship before.  I think I was completely spoiled by the instruction script of Chuck as I scratch built three of his models.  

So, I just wanted to say "hi" and a sincere "thanks".
I really look forward to the many hours I will be spending on your log in the weeks and months to come.
Dave  

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks so much Dave. I stopped using the instructions long ago, and I was also spoiled by Chuck's. The rigging is a bit complicated and a few anchor points are not clear on the plans, but after I stared at them for a long time I was able to figure out where they should go. Good luck and I am still around to ask questions.

I moved the crate with my Constitution to the storage unit yesterday. I am not sure how well it survived the move, but I won't know until Sept. when I can move it to our new location. Hopefully any damage will be minor and fixable.

I do appreciate the offer of assistance when needed.  Good to know you’ve got my six.

creating collars this morning and returning to numerous fixture details omitted in the course of building the spar deck.... like the cannon ball racks on some of the companionway coamings. 

Still much to do before I actually place the masts and begin adding string.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

• 1 month later...

An "update" of sorts. The Connie model is still in its crate in the storage room, but with only 4 more weeks of the rental season I have been starting to put the workshop together in my head. Right after Labor Day I will get going on that. I am currently sitting outside looking at the lake having coffee, reading all your great build logs and jonesing to get back to work on mine.

hey!......don't get used to that!  some of us are hav'in the DT's wait'in to see the big finish on that Connie of yours  ;)   glad your hav'in fun in your new place.......you ARE there......are you?!?!?!   I'm so green right now........I'll be 62 the end of August.  just knowing I still have a wait really fries my eggs!

look'in forward in seeing you put the finishing touches on that beautiful ship of yours  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys. The ship will be finished, don't worry about that. I have already started preparing the spot it will be displayed in.

• 4 weeks later...

We are getting close to being back into the new shop. Here are a couple of pictures of the space as it looks today. The shop light is installed and the TV will be mounted on the wall tomorrow. The workbenches and other stuff will be coming out of storage on Monday, as will the crate holding the Connie. I'll have pictures next week of uncrating her. I hope there won't be too much damage to address, if any.

IMG_0008.jpg.cefde8da9c36b2a6333e023b7a5aecd0.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg.b37fb0860694221cc021da2893bd9879.jpg

The kitchen area is left over from when this space was a summer rental. The fridge is now a beer fridge and the sink will be useful in the shop. Plus, there is storage space in the cabinets.

Although we thought we were retiring, my wife found a part time Kindergarten aid job 1/2 a mile from here, so she is back to work a few hours a day. When I left my job they asked if I would be willing to work part time from here, so I will be contacting them in a week or so, after I took the summer off. Semi-retirement still feels pretty good.

That's going to be one very nice work-space when you get it all set-up, Tom. You've even got the makings of a bar in the back corner.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy