USS Constitution by usedtosail - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1/76

truly superb display :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A very fitting home for a very beautiful model. Well done, Tom !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Congrats Used2Sail

You made a true work of art.  And a fittimg case to show her off.

Thanks for the your build log.  Its both a source of inspiration and my go to log as I reach each new step in my own build.

Congrats again.   

Looking forward to following your next built.

K

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

Tom - 

Congratulations!  An excellent model and a better cabinet.

Looking forward to your next project.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Stevinne, Rich, Popeye, Jonathan, Todd, Capt Steve, K, Dan and the likes.

As for heirloom, I hope one of my kids wants this once I am dead and gone. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't, but hopefully they will find a good home for it. Let's hope that won't be a problem for many, many years.

K - keep up the great work on your Connie. You are doing a great job on it and your build log is excellent too.

Dan - I really enjoyed your articles in the NRG Journal on building QA's Revenge. Your are as talented a writer as you are a modeler.

A couple of last pictures that I took last night after dark. I was really curious how the LEDs would look and I was very happy with the result. We started calling this the Museum Room last night.IMG_0123.thumb.jpg.e5ffb860afba6c3183591231ea7e45cc.jpgIMG_0122.thumb.jpg.d40ec7828f8d029f88a685063c29eaee.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks Geoff and REG. Here is what I have in my notes regarding the cannons on the Constitution:

Gun Deck - 30 24lb cannons

Spar Deck - 24 32lb carronades and an 18lb chase gun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello Tom,

Great build you have done.

Your Constitution is a great example for me.

I have read your log many times.

I will use it as my guide if you don't mind.

I have all ready questions but I will see if i can find it by myself.

If not, can I ask you for help?

Sjors

I too congratulate you on a splendidly done model.  I've been studying all the build log here before I get too far into the construction of my own  Model Shipways Constitution hoping to learn from the best.  I haven't found a nicer looking outcome.  

If you're still monitoring the site for feedback, do you have any advice for someone just starting out?  

Thanks Sjors. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. It has been a few years since I built this model but I took good notes as I built it.

Thank you too Der Alte. Take your time and don't be afraid to do something over again if you are not happy with it. Also I found the first chapter of Robert Hunt's practicum, which you can get for free, helpful to get started but I didn't buy any of the other chapters. There is a lot of useful information in the build logs on this site as you have found and most of the builders that wrote them are still active on the site. And the most important thing is to start a build log as that is the best way to get advice when you need it, I have found.

Having more cents than sense, I purchased all the materials from Bob Hunt.  So far, so good.  Chapter 2 came in handy to guide me through what to do with bulkhead B and the Stem (preparing for Bowsprit tenon and installation).  I have been poring over the build logs here, and mine is underway as well.

Thanks for sound advice. 

Best

Der Alte

Der Alte,

I had never built a wooden model ship before starting the USS Constitution.  Bob Hunt''s practicum was critical in me enjoying and being able to complete my build.  Along with that, it was the numerous builders and their build logs that made a major difference! 

Best of luck!

Dave

Mr. Hunt's practicums were/are critical in my two wooden ship builds. My first one Rattlesnake, I followed his instructions line by line as this was my first POB wooden square rigged ship.. As the build progressed, I noticed he was taking some short cuts which I didn't care for compared to other build logs. The second build, USS Constitution, is still ongoing after 5 years. Here, based on my experience with the Rattlesnake, I am using his practicum as a guide, along with checking out any and all build logs I can lay my hands on. I had gained enough confidence building Rattlesnake to attempt a scratch built gun deck on the USS Constitution. Mr. Hunt is not perfect and even he will say there other ways of doing things, so where I have deviated from his instructions, I explain why and what I did.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

On 7/15/2023 at 9:53 AM, JSGerson said:

Mr. Hunt's practicums were/are critical in my two wooden ship builds. My first one Rattlesnake, I followed his instructions line by line as this was my first POB wooden square rigged ship.. As the build progressed, I noticed he was taking some short cuts which I didn't care for compared to other build logs. The second build, USS Constitution, is still ongoing after 5 years. Here, based on my experience with the Rattlesnake, I am using his practicum as a guide, along with checking out any and all build logs I can lay my hands on. I had gained enough confidence building Rattlesnake to attempt a scratch built gun deck on the USS Constitution. Mr. Hunt is not perfect and even he will say there other ways of doing things, so where I have deviated from his instructions, I explain why and what I did.

Jon

I've noticed the same thing and therefore am checking as many sources as I can going forward.  The Practicum is a great leg up over going at Conny with nothing other than the plans provided with the kit and the build logs here by such as yourself provide broader perspective as well as inspiration. 

Thanks

Der Alte (aka Peter) 

• 1 month later...

Hi I’ve been putting the shipways Constitution together for a few years now. Very challenging. I can’t seem to find the measurements for the channels. 
I read thru Tom’s section. He says he found out and used 3/32 thick but no mention of how wide. Pics look like nearly 1/2 inch. Any help would be appreciated. 

See if the attached US Navy file helps

Jon

4513172a - Fore, Main & Mizzen Rigging Channels.pdf

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

17 hours ago, jliss said:

Hi I’ve been putting the shipways Constitution together for a few years now. Very challenging. I can’t seem to find the measurements for the channels. 
I read thru Tom’s section. He says he found out and used 3/32 thick but no mention of how wide. Pics look like nearly 1/2 inch. Any help would be appreciated. 

The Practicum confirms your observation of the "pics", 3/32"x 1/2".  See below:

image.png

• 1 month later...