Zheng He Treasure Ship Kit

demonborger

Hi guys, while browsing around ebay I came across this item, It is chinese but from what I can see is not part of the ZHL axis of pirates. It isn't a PoB style kit, instead it is a much more simplified wooden laser cut puzzle sort of model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-sail-boat-ZHENG-Hes-Treasure-ship-model-Wooden-model-kit/261347744765?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D3971138731320253844%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D251396969337%26

868270091_969.jpg

Very tempting kit bash project. Plank it with some nice 3mmx.05mm walnut or so, scratch build some other parts and it could quite a nice little model. 

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

That is OK but its a kids model for eight year olds.   But I wouldnt prevent you from bilding it here at MSW.

Chuck

Trying to picture an 8 year old building that and I can't. Maybe a 10 or 12 year old. Are there instructions that say for 8 and up or something? Looks much more detailed than I can envision my 6 year old building in 2 years, or my girlfriend's 7 year old next year even..... It does look like a pretty neat vessel though

I like that "ZHL's axis of evil." Has a nice ring to it

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Yes the kit as I researched is intended for those 8 and up.   At least according to the few places I saw it offered.  Its only about $25.

Chuck

Those Chinese 8 year olds must be pretty advanced – and I would think many here will find it interesting to build when they're sixty eight!

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Well the main point is that this could serve as a great starting point for a kit bash. I don't think actual plans of the treasure ships exist, or written details beyond a certain generality. So the builder can have a degree of artistic license with their kit bash.

It won't appeal to the purist of course, but they have the realms of scratch-building to satisfy their desires.

Wooden dowels for the masts, scratch built sails, reworked door/window frames, 0.5mm wood planks on the hull and deck, some false guns, and some new rigging rope and you could have a relatively inexpensive ship that is exotic, if only loosely historic, won't take up much room etc.

It's tempting to build that kit, as well as one of the korean turtle ships.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

These are slot and tab models.  I got the War Junk and have built the Turtle Ship from some friends who live in the Orient.  They are not bad kits and are quite easy to build in an evening.  The laser cutting and fit is great and they take paint and stain well. 

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex