HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Hi guys... Antique white perhaps, that is what I have seen around these parts.. Antique white USA is nice.. Any paint brand should be able duplicate another brands colour.. Regards ollie

I thought you could only buy magnolia in 50 gallon drums :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Well, I think we know that Eamonn always buys in bulk! He hasn't told us yet, but I think he's planning to paint the house while he's at it (and he did mention magnolia). :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Dang.. I was hoping to spring 'Eamonn's Filler, Glue & Off White Paint Euphonium' onto the unsuspecting public over the weekend but Kester has  got the scoop on me!! :huh:  we also do a nice side line in Timber Strips and Pegs Pins & Clamps..

Got another few planks done today by the way ;)

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

The 'Mr Bean' exploding paint can, room painting technique springs to mind with a small Ballahoo placed in the middle :D  :D  :D Who says us men can't multitask ;)  :D  :D  :D

Sorry folks,back on topic,I am glad to hear of your progress Eamonn.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

All Righty Then.. Here's a few gratuitous Clamp, Peg & Pin Shots for all ye folks into that kind of thing (You Know Who Ye Are.. For Shame! ^_^  ^_^ )

To Quote Father Ted.. 'Down With That Sort Of Thing'  ...  'Careful Now'... ! 

(Anyone out there who doesn't know 'Father Ted', just Google it, and enjoy.  There was actually a Fr. Ted festival over in the West of Ireland last weekend and people from all over the world came to it!  :D )

Ok on with the show..

Got some more planking done this morning, the Port side is slowly catching up with Stbd.  I'll catch up fully before continuing on down both sides as I think I'm at the Wale Height on Stbd. !

When they are level I plan on planking the Stern immediately below the Transom Piece, that way the Hull Planking will Overlap the edges of this Stern Planking.. I might even plank the Transom itself as there is a Walnut Surround to go on it and the contrast could be interesting!

Thanks for checking in and have a great Weekend ok :D

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

post-5925-0-29333800-1393678040_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-07040700-1393678043_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-78453400-1393678044_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-90812100-1393678046_thumb.jpg

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Your Ballahoo is looking good!       

News Flash!  I've found Nessy, well, not really.  But I did find 'Wipe on Poly' on the shelf at a small hardware store.  As I thought, the wipe on polyurethane and the polyurethane in the cans are the exact same product, only difference being the packaging.  Specifically, the closure on the 'Wipe On Poly' can is air tight, which will prolong the total 'shelf life' of the poly product.  The wipe on poly costs more, about 50% more, but the extended shelf life makes it a better value.  

Here's a link to look at the product:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81y31%2BpO-WL._SL1500_.jpg

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

WooHoo.. well spotted Dee_Dee, nice to know exactly what was being referred to and that it is a fairly 'regular' Polyurethane (I just checked the price of it on Amazon (UK) they only have the Can version and it is almost £35 ex post for half a pint (225g)!!! (who knew that Polyurethane was the Trade Name for Liquid Gold!!)  (the can on Amazon isn't labelled the 'exact' same but the colouring of the tin is the same, but Wow that is expensive (convert to Euro and add postage and that is the price of a kit :P ) Just had a look at Home Depot (US Site) and the price differences are simply astounding! perhaps I need to 'shop around' a bit.

Thanks Dee_Dee for thinking of me and posting the info.

Eamonn

BTW Hope the Muscongus Lobster Boat goes well !

Ballahoo Latest :

Port Side has caught up with Stbd Side, so onto planking the Stern Transom Bits 'n Bobs (or at least having a think of what I'm going to do there, ie remembering there is a Stern Post to go there too, and a Transom 'Decoration Type of Thingy')

Oh! and the Clamps Pegs& Pins are all off at the moment ! Awwww.. :huh:

Bye For Now Folks.

Eamonn

(I just checked the price of it on Amazon (UK) they only have the Can version and it is almost £35 ex post for half a pint (225g)!!! (who knew that Polyurethane was the Trade Name for Liquid Gold!!)

Eamonn,

I would imagine, by the time Amazon (if ever) manage to sell one of those cans, it will be rock hard and well beyond its use by date! ;)

Good going on your planking – I'm sure we'll be rewarded with a pic soon, perhaps when you've finished the transom 'decoration type of thingy'. (I must say here that your nautical expressions are coming on in leaps and bounds.)

Btw, you sound most apologetic that the Clamps, Pegs and Pins are off... :P

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Classic Stuff Kester.. have to say you made me laugh! ^_^

I'm totally amazed at the price on Amazon ! probably have to sell a kidney if you wanted to paint a door, hate to think what would happen if you needed to give it a 2nd coat !

By the way I was infamous on the boats and around town for making up my own names for stuff.. :huh:  and I genuinely have no idea how to describe the 'squared off circular ring thing that attaches to the outside of the transom' ! :P  I'll take a pikky of it tomorrow and see who comes up with the best name :)

Thanks for checking in Kester

Eamonn

Tell you what.. I'll take that Pikky now.. back in a mo.

All Righty Then I'm Back..  That odd 'nameless' piece is the last photo! Submit your answers written on the back of a £5 note ($10 will be ok), winner gets a Thimble full of Amazon Minwax... High Stakes Indeed :mellow:  :mellow:

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Anyhoo..

post-5925-0-12979400-1394039160_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-60877300-1394039175_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-95490900-1394039192_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-83275200-1394039206_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-58240300-1394039231_thumb.jpg

By the way I was infamous on the boats and around town for making up my own names for stuff.. :huh:

Eamonn,

Was that why you took, erm, early retirement? :)

Ok, I see what you mean about the 'squared off circular thing that attaches to the outside of the transom'! I don't know what it's called either – 'transom surround' perhaps? Not to worry though, we know what you mean now.

Yes, I would plank the transom. I did that on the stern of my Sherbourne, and it looks good – besides making my own 'squared off circular thing that...' :huh:

Kester

Transom surround? No. 18th Century telly for those long sea trips.

Tony

Edited by tkay11

Nice to see some pics up Eamonn :) Coming on well mate.As for my entry into 'name that piece',I would have to say in all likelyhood there may not be a nautical name for it.I had a brief look at my reference material and on the real vessel this would obviously be made of separate parts which would be named individually,so as an assembly I think Tony is probably right.As regards your 'wipe on poly' can you not just experiment wiping on normal poly?It would probably require thinning a little.Keith Julier used to apply normal poly to his decks to seal them by wiping ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hey there Tony, would you believe I was thinking that it looked TV shaped too, but thought better of mentioning it..as I would imagine that late1700's TV was pretty boring through lack of proper funding with there being a war on and what-not..  :mellow:  :mellow:  :P

Kester: I probably will plank the transom before attaching the 'S.O.C.T.T.A.T.T.O.O.T.T.' (for short) then sand the planks down a lot so they don't bulk up the area too much before attaching the 'S.O.C..you get the idea..T.T' :P

I had a notion of painting the Transom black, but with it planked and left natural it might look great in contrast to the walnut of the 'S.O.C.T.. etc.T.T.'  ,   I shall have to cogitate at length on this.. 

Hey there Nigel, I had just posted this when I spotted your post, Transom Surround it is so.. much more succinct than 'S.O.C.T.T and so on T.T.' :P  I will be doing the 'poly' experimentation shortly, I see a nice matt polyurethane in a local shop, but I am still amazed at the difference in price between Amazon (UK) and the U.S.

Thanks for stopping by folks and for the advice.

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

Small Photo Update:

Transom is planked ! ... that's kinda it really.. :huh:   Sounded more exciting in my head.. :mellow:  :mellow:

Bye For Now

Eamonn

post-5925-0-25205100-1394107418_thumb.jpg

Ok Folks.. Small Photo Update (just to show that I haven't forgotten you)

Transom Planked, Lower Transom Planked and a full Strake of planking done each side !

I wanted to get the lower Transom planked before continuing with the Strakes, as I wanted the strakes to overlap the Transom planks.. if you follow!

The newest strake on both sides is a wider plank as there was a bit of shaping to be done on it towards the bow and at the meeting of the transom.. it is also a Full Plank.. ie not  my scale plank lengths (all this area will be painted anyhoo) But in keeping with the suggestion of Kester (to continue with the Scale Planks all the way to the keel) I shall put a subtle 'notch' in the appropriate place to simulate Butt's.  Don't know about ye Guys 'n Gals but I found that the individual Scale Planking (8.5 cm lengths at this scale) was taking an absolute age!! I was spending as much time laying a single length as I was laying a Full length.. That Might Just Be Me Though :blush:  :rolleyes:

By The Way, there is enough Pegs, Pins & Clamps in these shots to keep everyone's attention, with the addition of some discrete Rubber Band action too for the real aficionado's (You Know Who Ye All Are.. For Shame)

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-50618100-1394553714_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-10385700-1394553717_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-16135200-1394553719_thumb.jpg

Hi Eamonn,she is coming on well mate B) It is a little hard to tell with all the pegs and clamps :D but my advice is to bear in mind the last plank fitted and the the next one after,really need a lot of tapering at the stern end where there is a transition in hull form at the stern counter.If you don't taper these two planks,the planking run moving down will become crowded.Hard to explain on the keyboard,but not only will this help the planking moving down,but also follow the curve better.This tapers aren't long ones,just maybe 40mm long,If you lay a plank against the last one with an even gap of 5mm all along,this should highlight what I mean buddy.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hey There Nigel,  thanks for dropping by with some welcome advice mate, always appreciated.. yea, that last laid 'wide' plank will allow me to complete the transitions more easily, laying it in the 'Full' has smoothened out the run too (at least I hope) and as a result things should pick up now speed wise. 

Tapering began at the bow a few plank ago, weirdly I didn't need much if any tapering at the stern in the 1st layer!, will have to keep an eye on it with this layer though.

Were you watching the Rugby at the weekend? looks like England or Ireland for the 6 Nations, with England having the potentially much easier last game! Typical !! ^_^

Eamonn

Hi mate,if you find laying individual lengths is starting to make the plank run look like a 50p piece(sorry non UK readers,a fifty p piece is a 7 sided coin),I find that checking with a full length and a light touch of a riffler file trues the edge up on the planks that have been fitted ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Looking great Eamon, I think the plank tapering Nigel suggests is well worth it, you've done such a grand job already on the top planks.  Try to enjoy it, bizarrely I'm looking forward to my next planking challenge, whatever that proves to be  :)

As for the rubber bands, down with this sort of thing!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hey There Guys,  I was deffo getting the 50p effect Nigel but I addressed it with a Scraper Thingy (A Stanley Blade held at the top in a special gripper type of affair) which I pushed straight down onto the offending 50p edge and cut it off  :P (erm Nigel Mate.. wots a Riffler File ? though I did run a needle file along it a few times to even things out a bit, still a complete pain in the 'stern') :huh:

Jason.. Looking forward to planking !!! you sadist ^_^ (admittedly planking is probably a Summer Holiday compared to rigging!!)

Rubber Bands.. Careful Now ! :P

I'll be going over to the Walnut Kit supplied planks shortly, though I hear that they are Brutal (Irishism for not very good at all.. ^_^ )

Thanks for checking in and for all the Likes folks

Eamonn

BTW Nigel & Jason I was over on 'Name the Ship' for a few goes, missed ye guys over there..  There wasn't an Arklow Rowboat to be seen!

Nice work Eamonn, especially the last shot of the telly – sorry, transom, half hidden though it is by your delightfully arranged rubber bands.

Good advice from Nigel to keep your planks straight, as scale length planks tend to need a bit of linear adjusting. :)

As for your last paragraph in post 277, I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to. :huh:

Kester

Hi Kester, thanks for stopping by, I'm back on more familiar ground now with full length planks, but as I mentioned I'll keep your suggestion (at least in spirit) by putting a little 'notch' into then to simulate butt ends.. reckon I'd be still planking this time next Christmas if I were to continue with Scale Planks :P  couple of planks let them dry, next day couple of planks let them dry (it was taking 2 days to do a single strake.. ;) as I mentioned though that that might just have been me and my 'super' planking skills!! !)

Oh and Regards 277.. your secret is safe with me!! ;)  I'll never tell !!

Take Care

Eamonn

Eh up buddy (thought I would get some yorkshire in ;) ) a riffler file is just like a needle file,but the end is bent so you can get into places other files won't reach (sounds like a tv advert).They come in all different cross sections like normal needle files,generally you get a pack of assorted shapes and they are very,very cheap.I think CMB stocks them.Good luck with the 'deadly' walnut :D quite literal in my case as I have an allergy to the stuff :D .

Aww 'name the ship',haven't got much in the way of a spare minute at the moment unfortunately,shame really as it is good fun :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Ahhh now I'm with you.. have some ordered already would you believe, didn't know what they were called mind you! (coming from the States together with one of Chucks C18th Longboats, they were both going for half nuttin so couldn't say no.. € 35 to the door!)

I'll probably find I too have an allergy to Walnut Planking but for a different reason to you bud.. :huh:  perhaps I'll continue down with the present stuff after-all, though it would be a shame to waste the Walnut ! Oh Well.

All The Best Nigel

Eamonn