HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Hi David, Am glad to hear that there will be another Ballahoo up and running here on MSW, the help on here from other members is immense to say the least (it has been such a help to me in getting things moving)

I glad my log is of use to you, and any questions you have please please feel free to ask, If I cannot answer there will be someone else here who can!

Get a build Log going (and if you could let me know about it here that would be great :P ) would love to follow along another 'Ballier' Build ^_^  Just take your time with it and you'll be fine.. oh and always look ahead to the next step (and further ahead if you can) that way you won't be caught out later down the build !

Welcome to MSW by the way.. ^_^  ^_^ ^_^  

All The Very Best David

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement Eamonn.  I've just been emailed by UPS to say Ballahoo will be delivered tomorrow (fingers crossed!) so the excitement/apprehension is mounting!  I don't know about a build log at this stage; given the steepness of my learning curve it's going to be weeks before  I would be confident to even get beyond opening the box and checking the contents,  so given my anticipated slow rate of progress it would probably turn into the longest ever build log in the history of MSW.  I have to say that I am also very impressed with the quality of the articles/advice available from/to members on this site.  Currently I'm trying to absorb the excellent articles on planking but I'm getting myself into a bit of a lather as they appear (to me) to suggest different approaches; is there a particular article or method that you would recommend I focus on?

Regards,

David 

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

Hi David, personally I just got stuck in and laid the planks from 'Top to Bottom' they fit almost perfectly ! you'll see when you begin (Ballahoo is planked in 2 layers which lets you get the feel for things with the 1st layer.. it really is simpler than it sounds especially on Ballahoo where the planks are 'full length' from front to back (so to speak) with in my case only the smallest adjustments needed !

I am not exaggerating when I say that I don't have much talent in this sort of thing (really I'm not, you'd want to talk to my friends!! ) but by taking my time and looking through MSW for similar ships I got a feel for what was required (the saying 'If I can Do It Then Anyone Can' is not lost here by the way) I will admit though that my knowledge of Boat 'Shapes' has helped (in that I have a good idea as to what something should look like) but it isn't crucial to completing any build!

You are already way ahead of me.. it took me months (4 or 5) before I had the confidence to Lay the Keel.. then I wondered what the delay was ^_^  Just don't glue anything until you have Test Fitted it at least once and remember if you make a mistake you can always Un Glue it (there are means!) and do it again.  Get yourself a few Good Tools, Scalpel Knives, Mini Files, Lots of Sandpaper etc and away you go, seriously it is fun (and you will get a kick out of setting up your Build Log and talking to people about it, some smashing folks on here who will be only too glad to help)

Have a look at Build Logs for 'HMS Sherbourne' and 'HMS Pickle' these are similar small boats to Ballahoo (and from the same Kit Maker) so the builders will all be doing similar things!

I really look forward to seeing your posts (or pop on here and let us know how things are going)

Take Care David

Eamonn

UPS will be knocking your door in no time :P

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Quick 'Heads-Up' Folks...

I have the Wales in place (many Pins used, !!) and have put a little Re-enforcing at the Hawse Holes, hopefully some photos tomorrow !

Cheers

Eamonn

Photo Time.. WooHoo  (I know I know, I really spoil ye.. ^_^ )

The Stern Post is in place, and the Hull is pretty much finished with sanding (it might get the odd gentle rub as I progress though)

You can see the Hawse Hole (where the Anchor Rope would go through the hull) re-enforcing I put in place, it isn't called for in the 'Plans' but I kinda figured it to be an area that would have been built up to combat wear 'n tear ! it hasn't been fully shaped & filed totally smooth yet .

The Wales are made from  2@  3 x 1 mm Beech lengths I had in stock, and will ultimately be painted black. The wale hasn't been shaped properly at the stern yet, but isn't too far off (possibly a little filling required at the very after-most part to blend it into the transom)

See I haven't been slacking off.. much.. ^_^  ^_^

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

PS Still no Deck Timber.. and it was sent this day last week, fingers crossed for next week then :huh:

post-5925-0-01441200-1396012337_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-73336900-1396012338_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-92306300-1396012339_thumb.jpg

Thanks Lawrence, here's hoping! I'm actually contemplating putting a thin coat of clear paint on the outer Bulwarks to help protect them (they are to be left natural, well by 'natural' I mean coated with a Clear Matt Poly or similar stuff that I picked up !) I am constantly conscious of them getting grubby!

I might begin this tomorrow after a few test pieces of course ^_^

Thanks for Stopping By.

Eamonn

And Thanks to all the 'Likes' too.. always much appreciated!

Thanks Richard, I've only just come from the workroom after making a 1 x 2mm piece to go about 2/3rd of the way up from the wale, I followed some advice from MSW  build logs and filed a shape into a Blade which I then used it to groove the 1 x 2mm, this is now painted black and will go on tomorrow after a bit of sanding/painting (& repeat).. hopefully.. Then I will put the Clear Matt stuff on, didn't think it best to do that yet as it might have interfered with the gluing of the 1 x 2.

That's the plan anyhoo.. and it is open to change, cos I'm kinda 'winging it here'.. :mellow:   ^_^

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks Bindy,  let's see what next week brings.. ^_^

Have a Great Weekend, well what's left of it anyhoo..

Eamonn

Welcome to Ballahoo By The Way :P

Edited by egkb

Woo Hoo !! Deck Planking in the form of my Maple Timber arrived this morning.. brace yourselves for a bunch of Decking 'How Do I..' type questions.  I'm talking Nibbling the planks/edging (or is it 'Notching' Hmmm ) at the bow/stern sort of questions..

You Have Been Warned :mellow:  :mellow: :mellow:  

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Just A Quick Photo Opportunity of where the Ballier stands at the moment..

The painting isn't  finished, it will meet the waterline later, which hasn't been drawn yet. 

I'll be trimming the Black Timber Piece (fashion Piece ??)  between the Gun Ports later.

I have sorted out the Inside areas, sanding etc, in readiness for laying the Deck and inner Bulwark Strakes.

Sail 'er Easy Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-11345900-1396368078_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nigel & Lawrence for the encouraging posts, and to all the Likes. 

Am about to begin Planking the Insides of the Bulwarks now, remember there will shortly be Plank Joggling questions, so brace yourselves (I understand the principal and what needs to be done but are there any 'Do's & Don'ts' tips!  :P )

Bye For Now

Eamonn

Warning Extreme Peg & Clamp Photo Follows .. Viewer Discretion Is Advised.. :rolleyes:

First Strake done on both sides of Inner Bulwarks ! Woo Hoo..

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Photo Below !! Careful Now..  :huh:

post-5925-0-70642900-1396439707_thumb.jpg

Down With That Sort Of Thing..  :rolleyes:

Edited by egkb

St Tibulus would be proud Eamon!  Think you'll find the interior bulwark planking relatively straightforward, only think to be aware of is how the top strip will lie - I had a small challenge on Snake as the top plank had to be tapered very thin, but it was all very manageable.  In my (very limited) experience, planking the deck before doing the inner bulwark can help cover any 'gaps' between decking and bulwark to give a cleaner look (but it may be a bit late for that :)) .  You could also add a thin strip directly above the deck for spirketting which achieves the same result, but not sure if thats appropriate for Ballyhoo.  Hope this makes at least a semblance of sense.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason,  Ah yes, The Passion Of St. Tibulus.. :rolleyes:  Classic !!  I have begun the Inner Planking as I was going to do the Joggling Thing..  nothing like making it complicated eh? admittedly I was going to put a Spirketting around it too, you mentioned that this might not be appropriate, was it only done on larger boats? (hope not :huh: )

Thanks for stopping by bud.

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn,

Your Ballahoo is looking good - gives me inspiration and hope that one day my build will look like that!  I've had a good balsa day and hope to dry fit the blocks tomorrow; I'll send you a photo if it all works out.

Kind Regards,

David 

You mentioned that this might not be appropriate, was it only done on larger boats? (hope not :huh: )

Didn't want to give the impression its not appropriate, basically I just don't know :huh: .  My guess would be that its a basic construction principle, but I'm sure others could comment more authoritively.  Using something 0.5mm thick gives a pretty subtle result thats hard to argue with visually.  Just be careful now.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Eamonn

I think that a waterway would have been present.In reality this sits in the corner on top of the deck beams and up against the inside of the frames,however this can be represented by shaving some square section lengthwise at 45 degres to make a triangular fillet.This can then be glued into the corner.2 x 2mm will be about right at your scale.That's what I did on Caroline,albeit slightly larger as she is 1/48.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Jason & Nigel, I'm just going over to Caroline for a quick looksee.. I may be some time !

E

Edit : Just back from Caroline, found some photos on or around page 13 , I have some square profile that would do that job Nigel, else I was going to do similar to what Jason mentioned with 2 or 3 x 1mm to represent the Waterway on top of the Margin Planks.  Hmmmm will have to think about this guys...  what does everyone else think? any suggestions.. ?remember Ballahoo is circa 1804 if that makes any difference.

E

Edited by egkb

Hi All..

Just a quick Photo Update to catch things up ..

Gun Ports are filed out properly (almost that is) bit more to go there as 2 on each side have to be cut to meet the Capping Rail, the Transom decoration is in place, and I.ve got the 1st coat on the bulwarks.

More work required on the black paintwork (another coat) and remember it isn't finished at the lower part, I need to get the waterline in first !

Just about Deck Time Folks.. I've decided to give myself a load of work and go with Joggling the Deck planks into a Margin and all the fun that that involves (have to say I do like the effect !.. lets see if I'm still saying this later!! :huh:  :(:rolleyes: ) 

Ok Photo Time..

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-04330900-1396802300_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-70259300-1396802306_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-92376300-1396802310_thumb.jpg

She looks lovely mate,great work B)  B) All the best with your joggling :P I did wonder whether you would paint the inside of the bulwarks for ease before planking the deck,your pics have answered the question ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Lovely colours Eamonn and quality craftsmanship.  One day, hopefully, I will be at that standard!  And, you are furthering my nautical language with every post ("....joggling with deck planks into a margin..."???).

Regards,

David