HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Excellent work Eamonn.  Your Ballahoo modifications are superb.  As you can see from my signature, Sherbourne is back on the shelf and I've started Pickle.  All the very best.

Kind Regards,

David

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

Hi David ..  Thanks for stopping by and for the kind Words.. Don't forget to PM me some progress shots of Pickle  ;)

E

Oh And thanks for the visit Stergios and for the complement,   Thanks also for all the Likes Folks it's always much appreciated !

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Eamonn:  in my last post I forgot to ask you about your simulated cranse iron, which I particularly like.  Have you used black tape rather than black cardboard and was it easier to work with?

I'll PM some Pickle photos when I've got something worth showing you!

Kind Regards,

David 

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

Hi Again David .. That's exactly what I used .. Black Auto Motive Tape (the kind of stuff used for 'Go Faster Stripes' :P ) Cut into thin stripes and wrapped around the bowsprit (and also as 'strengthening' on the Rudder Head area ) a small dab of CA seals the ends (even though the tape is self adhesive I don't want it to unravel later)

Looking forward to the photos of Pickle

All the Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update folks .. 

Got started on the Mast support for the Boom today .. I cut a disc of wood from a dowel and filed out the middle, then some sanding, bit more sanding before finally sanding  ;)  I applied some 'wipe on poly' ( I eventually got some, those following along from the beginning might remember I was having difficulty getting the stuff over here)

Not really worth photographing as it is just a wooden ring at present, but when I attach it to the mast with it's supporting 'knees' maybe then a photo will be judged worthy  ^_^

Getting very near to Masting & Rigging Time I think !

Like I said this is a just a small update to let u all know I am still working away here ..

Have a great week-end folks

Eamonn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All .. Photo Update Time .. Woo Hoo I hear you say!!  ;)

Well I have finally finished the Boom Support on the Mast  doodah (my build room is pretty cold at the mo.. as I'm ducking in and out as opportunity arises and there is no point in turning the heater on as I'd be finished before it heats up the place  :P )

Anyhoo .. re the photos .. The Mast isn't fixed in place yet, still some more to do there, not least the Mast Coat where it enters the deck, and to attach all the various Blocks etc

The 2nd photo shows kinda what the Boom will look like in place resting on the Support (I still don't know what the doodah is called)

Photo Time

All The Best Folks and Thanks for Stopping By 

Eamonn

(Owner Operator at Eamonn's Unfeasible Slow Ship Yard)

post-5925-0-85586200-1479851487_thumb.jpgpost-5925-0-63152800-1479851494_thumb.jpg

Top drawer stuff Eammon.  I tink, (tink mind'ya) that the doo-dah is called a saddle.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

According to Herr Stiffl in his book "Phledersroppimbanken" in the 2nd edition of 1348 I believe he called it a Doodah although it was unclear which language he was writing in at the time. It was later taken up in the phrase 'dead as a Doodah'.

Tony

Thanks, Eamonn. What was more interesting is that due to some unknown nautical connection of the owners of the racecourse, or even perhaps simply because of the connection with saddles, the USA Camptown races came to be known as Doo-dah days.

Delighted to tickle the Irish love of the arcane and often lost treasures of true knowledge.

Tony

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Gang ... Just thought I'd better pop along and let you know what I've been up to .. cos 'no' I haven't been 'skiving off' :D .. I have been tipping and tapping along on Ballahoo (The Mast Hoops are ready to install.. I was experimenting with different material and ultimately came back to the ones I made earlier, except that I painted them a more timber colour.. ) Anyhoo with the brighter days I decided to do something ..

That 'something' was to finish off a build I had started many many years before Ballahoo (think 15 to 20 in fact).. well before I ever attempted a Wooden Boat in fact.. she is an adapted French 74 (originally the kit 'Le Superbe' I think) made into a 'Prize' of the RN .. I was rigging her correctly using Lees and it was taking forever (this is about 15 years ago btw) .. Well .. I have been pondering a possibility this past year or two and decided to act on it a few days ago .. I 'cut her down' that is I chopped the masts to a centimeters above deck height thus pretty much finishing the build in one fell swoop (at least she is as finished as she will ever be.. I have no plans for instance to add the Gun Port Lids, to be honest they are long gone after an enthusiastic room clean out ) ..  I will be ordering a Glass Case shortly  (a lot cheaper now, in fact it will be an upturned Fish Tank made to measure by local glass merchants )

As Usual Thanks For Stopping By, Normal Ballahoo Service Will Be Resumed Shortly (Promise)

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

Right .. Enough Talk .. Time for some Photos ;)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gang ..  

At long last I hear you say.. I have an actual Ballahoo Update  !

I have a few days off and decided to  get back at the Building Table .. have been assessing her this past few days in anticipation of the 'few days off' and saw that in reality Ballahoo is not too far from being finished ! (I know I know .. there is the rigging to do, but let's face it in comparison to many if not most of the builds on here Little Wee Ballahoo isn't the most 'Rigged' vessel on display :D;)

Anyhoo .. To Business !

I tidied the rigging for the Guns and made up the Rope Coils, treating them with diluted pva to keep them in place and in shape.

Next up was the 'strops' for the Tiller (the lines to prevent it moving)   these proved to be somewhat tricky affairs as they needed to be tight and keep the tiller arm centered! easier said then done with my limited ability :P (you may notice I have a small bulldog clip holding 2 pieces of flat wood each side of the rudder to prevent accidental knocks which would otherwise I'm sure rip the tiller from the Rudder Head, now that the Strops are in position)

Then I moved onto the various Blocks near the top of the Mast's, and the Cleats towards the deck..

The Masts are only dry fitted by the way but I'm quiet near the point where they will be permanently fitted so I can get on with the various Stays etc ..

Photo Time .. 

All The Best Folks and Thanks For Stopping By The Slooooowest Build on MSW :huh:

Eamonn

IMG_4591.JPG

IMG_4592.JPG

IMG_4594.JPG

IMG_4590.JPG

Thanks Dirk .. (and Thank You also to the 'Likes' )

Got a bit more done today, but not really enough to warrant photos though, gave the deck a bit of a clean up too before embarking on the rigging stages ..

All the best folks and as ever Thank for stopping by ..

Eamonn

(at Snails Pace Shipyards Ltd.) ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi Gang ..

Just a quick note to say I haven't forgotten about ye all, just a wee hiatus whilst I see about getting the House brought into the 21st Century (it is an old 1919 build and is badly in need of some modernization, whilst keeping the appeal of the older 'feel') unfortunately this has left my build room effectively packed away.. and I was sooo close :)  I'm fully on the rigging now, so it was a tad irritating that I had to pack-up.. 

All The Best Folks .. by the way I'm still following along here on MSW .. 

Eamonn  (owner operator at Unfeasibly Slow Ship Builders Ltd. ) :):) 

• 1 month later...

Ahh Thanks Lawrence.. still a week to go to the 'ol Birthday but it is so nice of you to get the wishes in early :):) 

All The Best Mate

Eamonn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All .. Have been away for a mini break over my Birthday ..  No big deal I know ^_^ , except that I was over in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard !! with a couple of Victory visits (First person aboard on my birthday itself, virtually the whole ship to ourselves as we were well ahead of the crowds)  ... WOW that entire place is brilliant !

All the best Folks

Eamonn

Happy belated birthday Eamonn!  Really nice work on the Ballahoo and other model!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Guys .. will be a while before anymore build updates I'm afraid .. Major work going on at home (am currently in my fiance's house) and the renovations will continue till early October,  then the fun begins with putting the stuff back in etc.. no separate build room just yet (next year we are converting the attic space properly, couldn't get it done this year for one reason or another.. time mostly.. but that will be a dedicated hobby/reading etc space)

All The Best Guys,  as ever Thanks For Stopping By and for the Birthday Wishes Too :) 

Eamonn

• 5 months later...

Hi All .. Sorry about the delay in getting back to 'The Ballier' ..Alas she is still in storage as I don't have anywhere to set up as yet , I plan to take her out of storage shortly and see if I cant find some solution that won't get tooo much in the way (I really don't want to have to totally clear the work area up every time I finish, then set it all back up again shortly after, would much rather set up and be able to leave it 'as is' till next time if you follow)

Have to say though .. I have the 'Buzz' back and can't wait to kick off again .. :rolleyes:

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

@ Unfeasibly Slow Ship Yards Inc.  

Edited later for Grammar lol

Edited by egkb

• 4 months later...

Hi Again Folks .. Well The Ballier is back in the house along with my tools and I have the rigging plans pretty much drawn up .. all I need now is the actual space to do something .. (there is a nice big kitchen table with Balliers name on it lol

I will take a photo shortly and post it..

All The Very Best The 'Speedy' Boat Yard

Eamonn

All Righty Then .. Photo Time ...

This is Ballahoo as she currently stands...  Everything in the photo is secured in its final position,  masts are removed as they were only dry fitted .

Thanks For Stopping By Folks .. All The Very Best from 'The Speedy Boatyard' formally known as 'Snails Pace Yard' ^_^

Eamonn

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

Side View.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

News Flash ......  Oooh the excitement I hear you say .. 😃

I recently did some research re anchor scale for vessels of the Ballahoo size with respect to the kit provided one (I always felt there was something off about it) .. the Shank and Arms are pretty near perfect but the Stock (Provided) is indeed over scale and will need to be sanded back fairly heavily or re-fashioned..

All The Best Folks From Speedy Shipyards

Eamonn

• 10 months later...

Another Newsflash Folks .. I may be back up and running in the coming Months (Still no workroom yet BUT..  but looks like it may be happening soon enough) My attic conversion (This will be my workroom space/office) is hopefully shortly to commence, we had a few things to get sorted out first .. Getting Married being one of them 😀☺️ .. We can't start on the garden till it's done (those following along in this Slooooo-breath-oow Ballahoo saga may remember that I have pretty much completely modernized the House, but still had a few bits-n-bobs to do..  Fingers Crossed Folks

All The Best From 'Get There In The End' Shipyards .. Formerly Trading As Glacial Shipyards.