HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Photo Update as Promised:

3 more planks each side went on this morning for a grand total of 6 a side, remember I'm not overly concerned over their appearance as this is only 1st planking and my aim is to get them on relatively neatly so as to give a good base for 2nd planking.

They are cut over length, and will be trimmed/sanded down later. I most likely will nail them in place also, particularly at the bow/stern areas as the last think I want is for them to 'spring' later.

Thanks For Checking In..

Eamonn

Oh and Dee Dee, if you are reading this I ordered those books from Abebooks this morning, Thanks again for the tip as I reckon I got them all for the price of 2 with Amazon! Thanks also to Kester & Nigel for putting me onto them to begin with!   E

post-5925-0-94141600-1391182566_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-12952000-1391182569_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-61854900-1391182570_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-32168400-1391182572_thumb.jpg

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamonn,

Looking good, nice work. :)

I tend though (well, you did say) not to put pins through the actual plank itself, which might split, but use pins that have a 'shoulder', positioning them directly into the bulkheads on the outside of the plank being glued. This ensures no damage to the plank and the pin's shoulder holds it tight against the frame. This might be a little slower, but I don't think this matters much if you are correctly planking both sides simultaneously, which you obviously are! However, if this works for you...

I was a little surprised you used nails, as I'm not sure they're really necessary, provided you've enough bend in the plank, good glue, and bow blocks. The heads can also cause problems later when it comes to sanding.

Just one other thing ('only one?' I hear you ask). With regard to those frame tops, I bet later on in the instructions it says something like, 'with a pair of pliers, twist off the frame tops, and then clean up the stumps with sandpaper...'  :o I read that, when at this stage on Sherbourne, and thought 'no way, I'm not going to risk doing any damage'. I then decided to cut about halfway through the frames at deck level (but still leaving the frame top reasonably rigid). They later came away much easier, and there was also less to clean up. You might want to consider doing that, perhaps after you have finished the first planking. I don't know if you have a Dremel, but if you have, the round cutting attachment should do the job. Be very careful though, and cut just the frame tops!

Dang! You've sussed me with regard to Amazon. Seriously though, they can be expensive, so its worth looking around for cheaper deals – although their Marketplace usually offers things at reduced prices. Finally, I do remember The Plank, a great piece of classic comedy.  :D  I bet that's on utube somewhere too! The one I always remember is, the Blood Donor – 'That's almost an armful!'

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Guys,

Kester, thanks for the tips, and please please don't hesitate to offer them! seriously, you will not offend me... much.. :P  would you believe I picked up some of those 'shoulder' pins a few days ago (plan was to use regular pins for 1st planking, and not worry about shoving them in through the planks and thus into the bulkheads) my thought process on the matter was that they (the 'shoulder' type pins) would be able to go in easier when pushed into the 1st planking instead of a bulkhead.. if you follow, and that way not damage the 2nd planking..

Re the Nails, they aren't in yet :P you wouldn't bother with them? my glue is standard decent quality 'Wood Glue' you know the white stuff that dries clear, seems fine but I was anxious re the planks 'springing' where the bend is greatest, they have been pre bent with a 'bending iron' so perhaps it is overkill.

The frame tops are hardly even glued to the Bulwarks in anticipation of.. you guessed it correctly.. 'Snap Them Off' with a pair of pliers to mis quote the instructions ^_^  I picked up a nice Dremel many months ago in preparation for my builds, and I do indeed have the cutting wheel thingy knocking about, I do think I'll be taking your advice on using it ;)  as pliers and delicate bulkheads should not mix..

BTW did you check out the site Dee Dee recommended in the Post above (Post #95) some of those books are less than £ 1.00 !! ex Post !! that's where I got them from today (seems they are affiliated with Amazon ! so your commission is secure ;) )

Thanks again for checking in, it is comforting to know we are thinking on similar lines! ('Oh God' says you)

Thanks Wayne for visiting also, yea she is fairly symmetrical on both sides though the last row is slightly 'out of symmetry' at bulkhead no 2 & 3 from the bow, not a problem though at this stage.

Oh By The Way, does anyone know anything about this elusive 'Wipe On Poly', how to use, where to buy etc. (my guess is that it is applied with a cloth not a brush hence the 'Wipe on' part)

All The Best

Eamonn

And if there is anyone out there who hasn't seen The Plank (A 1967 short film with No Talking in it) then please Google it and hunt it down on You Tube or similar.. so well worth it!

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamonn,

Yes, I get you re. the pins. Good thinking.

About the nails, no, I've never used them. As I mentioned, if you bend the planks sufficiently, have good glue, and bow blocks, they shouldn't be necessary. It probably helps if the glue also has good 'grab' properties, if you see what I mean. Glue specifically for modelling, the yellowish stuff, usually has that. Re. the bending, If you overbend the plank slightly more than you need, this will also help to keep them against the bow blocks. If you do all that, I wouldn't worry over much. Try it with the first plank and see how you get on.

Do have a careful go with the Dremel, I think it'll make it a whole lot easier.

I haven't yet checked out DD's recommendation, but I will – and I'm pleased my commission is secure! I'll also check out The Plank again – that's the film version. :)

Kester

Looking very good Eamonn,great work.I have to agree with Kester,snapping those ears off is butchery careful cutting and removal is the way to go ;) Theoretically the rabbet at the bow will secure the planks,but pinning shouldn't be necessary anyway.Got to google'the plank' now :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Eamonn,

It's an Aliphatic resin, comes in a 112m plastic bottle with a nozzle. In the link, its the one on the left:

http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/pages/emulsionglues.htm

I'm happy with it.

This is an English site, but I'm sure you can find it, or something similar in Ireland.

Kester

Just a notice to you all: I'm off travelling for a week. I've been following the log with interest, so if there are no comments from my end, ye'll know why. I look forward to catching up when I get back.

Tony

Tony,

Yes, have a good and safe trip. You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back. ;)

Kester

News flash! With pictures.. :)  Starting to take shape now.. Looks good to see those curves begin on her..

I think you are right about focusing on the strength of first planking rather than appearance before sanding, especially if pins or planking screws are going to be used on second layer.. Which is kind of inevitable.. Pays to get glue between planks not just on bulkheads too.. (imho)

Also regarding strength....  If you look at when i installed my keel, (page 9) You will see i 'dremelled' out between planks along keel line and epoxied it all in so it will hold all plank ends in together to keel. . :D   Keep them news flashes coming//

Thanks Ollie, yea I'm gluing between the planks as I go along.. will try to pick up that yellow glue that Kester spoke about as my regular wood glue isn't the fastest at 'grabbing' hold.

Once the 1st layer of planking is done i'll be attaching the Keel and Bow timbers which will help hold the ends/edges of the 2nd planking in place (Rabbet to be cut first)

She's at that point now where you just want to keep looking at it to imagine the pleasing hull lines (Hmmmm I may need to get out more :P )

Thanks again for checking in Ollie

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Ollie makes a good point about putting glue on the edge of the planks, as well as the bulkheads. Basically anywhere they are likely to touch. I think you'll find the glue I mentioned, with it's superior 'grabbing' qualities, a much better option. I hope you manage to find it.

Btw, I dont think that periodically looking at your model, either at her lines or your latest work, is a qualification for the local loony bin! I find myself doing that frequently! :)

Kester

Phew Kester that's a relief, I was beginning to think it was just me...

I may have to go online to find that glue, am struggling to locate it near me (I might see if it can be ordered in)

Small Update whilst I'm here Folks:  3 more planks per side in place now, the Filler blocks are doing 2 jobs now, 1, to shape the flow of the planks & 2. to help hold the flat 'shouldered' map pins in place! I highly recommend those Filler Blocks!!

Take Care

Eamonn

Yeah filler blocks helped me too..  Hey Eamonn, I found it hard to find good quality wood glue here also.. i think if i had of gone to a proper cabinet shop i may have found it,, but i ordered Canadian Elmers and Ameriacn titebond, my prefered one is the elmers, it contains wood fibres and it can be stained and varnished etc.. reAsonably thick and sets enough to take off clamps pins in half hour (in my climate) .. Can send you a Llnk to shop i ordered from, OLLIE

Eamonn,

Re. the wood glue, have you considered Cornwall Model Boats? They stock quite a range of suitable glues, and I wouldn't think postage to you is that expensive.

Kester

Hello Eamonn,   carpenters glue  the yellow alphatic type both elmers  and titebond is readily available in all DIY stores here in Canada, Have you tried B&Q?  Generic alphatic type glue is also available under other brand names in various hardware stores. I used it all the time when making furniture, For model ship building I actually prefer pva (the white stuff) and achieve instant clamping by interspersing my glue line with an occasional drop of Ca gel type, For example when planking I apply pva along the edge of the plank and a small amount of ca on each bulkhead  just before I finally positioning the plank on each bulkhead.  Just my 2pennorth  ( forgotten the Gaelic for penny)

Enjoy the journey,

Kip

Thanks Ollie & Lawrence, It will do no harm to have that Web Address Ollie (I'm sure it would be of help to others on here too, so Post away ;) ) BTW I recommend for anyone to nip over to Ollie's build and take a look at his final planking!!

I've been soaking the planks 6 at a time Lawrence and shaping them (Trimming them as I go) prior to Bending with a Plank Bender (A well handy bit of kit) I found that around half an hour soaking was great! they are 1mm planks, were yours thicker for that 'big ol' ' Victory?

The planks are taking the hull shape nicely, few gaps mind you but nothing too serious (not enough to put a dint into my warehouse load of filler :P )

Remember Folks there are still some franchises left for 'Eamonn's Filler Shop'...

Thanks Again for Looking In Guys, and for the advice, and thanks too to everyone else who happens by..

Take Care,

Eamonn

I'm a regular with Cornwall MB Kester, but never thought of their glue range (just had a quick look over there as I'm typing this, and there is lots of Aliphatic glue listed) Brilliant suggestion!!

I haven't used CA (would you believe I thought CA meant Contact Adhesive for years!!) on the planking yet Kip, but it seems logical especially to handle awkward places whilst the Wood glue sets, I used it on my Bounty build to hold pieces that were difficult to keep in position with wood glue (I would lightly lick both surfaces to stop the CA from soaking in, my girlfriend saw me do this once and thought it was odd to say the least, some weird timber tasting fetish :P )

Bye For Now

Eamonn

Keep the advice coming folks!

Edit: I notice that Cornwall Model Boats also has Titebond listed !

Edited by egkb

Hi Eamonn

Regarding glues,I find the deluxe materials alphatic (unfortunately not stocked by CMB) to be the most superior available in the UK.I have tried the Titebond range,but they don't seem to soak in as well as the deluxe materials version.I save normal PVA for building jobs around the house,it never dries hard like Alphatic does.You will notice the difference when it comes to sanding.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Brilliant.. I'll nip out soon to a hardware store and take a looksee around.

Eamonn

Coming Soon to a Town Near You.. 'Eamonn's Glue & Filler One Stop Shop' .. as seen on MSW !

Brief New Photo Update:  The hull is closing up nicely, I reckon 1 or 2 more visits should complete it then checking out the gaps & lots of sanding  followed by attaching Keel/Bow & cutting the Rabbet.

The photo pointed out to me a slight rise/lift in the 2nd last plank on the bottom section of the photo between 'visible' bulkheads 3 & 4 which has been dealt with.

Incidentally, I was unable to pick up any of that glue we were discussing so I shall just have to go online.

Thanks for checking in.

Eamonn

post-5925-0-42488000-1391351051_thumb.jpg

Eamonn,

Looking good. I'm sure you'll be making sure everything is all ready for that second planking! As to the glue, you can always go for my suggestion... :)

Kester

Thanks Kip, I'll get right onto that (I even have some 6mm wide timber coming this week hopefully which should help with the Garboard, my original is 4mm!)

Cheers for the tip and to Ollie & Nigel for the Likes on Kips post (shows ye are all thinking the same way! :P )

Take Care Folks

Eamonn