Royal William by pirozzi - FINISHED - Euromodels - 1/70

I am very busy these days with other projects and can only put in a few hours here and there on this ship. :( I certainly can't keep up with Mark. The advantage there is that I can use his log for reference, which I do occasionally (thanks Mark).pict0527.thumb.jpg.73c152c09d5fcfb4a728edf4218e184d.jpg

All of the chain wales and stools with pre-rigged lanyards are completed. I also placed all of the eye rings and blocks on the decks for rigging later. 

On another note, I have a friend who is a seamstress, and she will created and sew the sails for me. :P One thing I am NOT is someone who can sew. The admiral does not like to either. 

Next up I think is to work on the ship's longboat.

Vince P.

pict0526.jpg

pict0528.jpg

pict0529.jpg

Vince, you are doing an outstanding job here. Looks clean, authentic and it shows all the love.

Congratulations!!!

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished the ship's boat. The kit supplies a resin hull shell which is a good starting piece. You can go as far as you like with details. The plans go into fairly good detail with hull construction and accessories. If you decide to go with considerable detailing as I did, you can create a nice 2 masted skiff type boat. I think it came out pretty well. Of course, all of the pieces have to be made from scratch with your own materials.

I will show the boat placed on the deck with all of the accessories on the next post. I still have to make the cradles and place all of the accessories in the boat.

I put about 20 hours into making this little boat.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

pict0531.jpg

pict0532.jpg

pict0533.jpg

pict0534.jpg

pict0535.jpg

I have completed the boat cradles and placed the boat on the deck along with all of the accessories stored top side. I cut a small piece of white tissue paper and wrapped it around the mast and booms to simulate the sails being stowed as well.

I don't have any idea what comes next but I will think about it.

pict0536.jpg

pict0537.jpg

pict0538.jpg

ROX7904.jpg

Looking great Vince!  Are you using the kit wood, or are you using other woods?  I have a couple of Euromodel kits and just wondering what Euromodel builders are doing on their builds, as the wood in my kits looks pretty good.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike, 

I have used the kit supplied wood throughout the build. I have not found the need to substitute anything. I had to bleach the deck planks to make them lighter,  but the wood was good. The only wood added was for extra detailing as I went along. I have not found any supplied materials that were not of acceptable quality. 

Hi Mike, I'll go along with Vince on this. I changed the deck strips for Tanganyika out of preference for colour, all the wood in my kit was of excellent quality more than I can say of some other kits that I've built. I stained my hull light oak and this made the wood slightly more amber and brought out a very nice wood grain. I applied sanding sealer before a light coat of poly. Other than using a few pieces of scrap ply I have only used what was supplied in the kit.

Ken

I have constructed the base of the bowsprit and the top for the spritsail topmast. While the plans in this kit are very good, this is one area where they are poor. The plans show dimensions for the round mast top, but totally ignore the necessary cross tree that has to support it from the bottom. I used my experience from building other ships with this type of mast top, and the photo gallery on the Euro website. The gallery does have a closeup photo of the underside of the top, which shows the cross tree. (Thanks Pete!) I estimated the lumber size at 2x2mm for the small legs and 4x2mm for the main beams. The 2 small legs are attached at both ends of the square opening in the top, and the main beams are spaced at exactly 5mm apart on the inside and located across the opening where the doubling will be placed for the vertical top mast. The bracket attached to the bowsprit end is made of 2 pieces of 3mm plywood laminated together and shaved to a total width of 5mm, then cut to the proper shape using tracing paper over the plans drawing. I am going to paint the entire round top black before placing it on the end of the bowsprit base.

Next up is to place the mast top on the bowsprit and build the rest of the mast.

Vince P. :dancetl6: 

pict0539.jpg

pict0540.jpg

pict0541.jpg

pict0542.jpg

pict0543.jpg

pict0544.jpg

pict0545.jpg

Vince,

You obviously enjoy doing this work and who wouldn't with all the possible interpretations that you are free to make such as with the dimensions of the supporting crosstrees/trestletrees. So again, well done - as always - with your current posting. Its really great watching the forum with you starting on the masts, Mark well into the rigging and Ken maybe starting on the ship's boat.

All the necessary detail for building the masts, tops, etc are contained in the file on the Euromodel website - customer assistance/ construction/ Royal William. The specific file which you are free to download is called 'RW.06.MASTS' ....

https://www.euromodel-ship.com/eng/royal-william-i-i.php

Look at page 17 in this file that covers the bowsprit top you have just worked on.

Pete

Edited by piratepete007

Lovely to catch up on your build, she looks fantastic

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I have constructed most of the bowsprit and mounted it on the ship. The jib boom will not be placed until the foremast is completed and stepped. This way I can move the ship around without snapping the long bowsprit. I still have to install the bobstays and gammonings.

pict0547.jpg

pict0548.jpg

pict0549.jpg

pict0550.jpg

I have completed the bowsprit bobstays and shrouds. Also the gammonings and the  fare lead rigging blocks mounted on the forward gammoning for rigging routing from the bowsprit. Pretty straightforward. 

Next up is the spritsail topmast shrouds and then on to the masts.

pict0551.jpg

pict0552.jpg

pict0553.jpg

Completed the foremast top. The plywood supplied in the kit for the base of the top was badly warped, so I used some 2mm quality walnut sheet instead.

Both sides were planked with finish planking strips from the kit. The crosstrees and trestletrees were assembled on the top so the spacing could be accurately obtained for the thickness of the doubling for the top mast.

There is also an error in the plans. It shows the  dimensions for the bolsters at 10mm tall and 5mm wide, and 10x5mm lumber is supplied. The height of the bolsters should be 5mm and the width 5mm, so some 5x5mm lumber was used. The bolsters are mounted directly on top of the trestletrees which have a height of 5mm, so the combination of the trestletrees and the bolsters make 10mm in height.

Next up is to paint the top black and assemble the topmast, top, and lower mast.

While on the subject of errors, the plans show the square base of the top mast at 9.5x9.5mm. It should read 9.5x7.0mm. The thickness has to be the same as the top of the lower mast, which is 7.0mm

pict0556.jpg

pict0557.jpg

pict0558.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am almost embarrassed to show my meager progress with Ken and Mark so far ahead of me on this build, but here is where I am. The foremast is fully constructed. My methods are different from most other builders in that I fully construct the masts off ship. This includes the spars, running rigging, and sails . I find it much easier to move around the mast for the rigging without having to rotate the whole ship. I still have to stitch the sails on, but my seamstress has not completed all of the sails yet. Once the sails are on and all of the running rigging attached I will place the stunsail booms. When sewing on the sails the booms will get in the way.

Once the mast has all of the sails and rigging, it will be stepped into the ship. All of the stays and running rigging will be finished and lastly the lower shrouds. By adding sails, the amount of running rigging increases considerably.

pict0559.jpg

pict0560.jpg

pict0561.jpg

pict0562.jpg

Hey Vince,

Every builder is an individual and sometimes it concerns me that such incredible logs posted by the likes of Ken and Mark for the Royal William will deter others from carrying on with their builds. Be not embarrassed by their good works (obviously not as your work does continue). One of the little appreciated virtues of using a Euromodel 'kit' is that it allows for, and openly encourages, the builder to build the ship their way and when you compare yours with Ken and Mark, they are all different.

The construction of the masts with all their rigging off the ship is a refreshing approach to see. The kit does supply material for sail construction but so few go that far in their builds and to include these will have to produce a fantastic and exciting extra touch to the finished product.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just an update. Even though I have not posted in a while, I have been making progress. The seamstress finished most of the sails. She sewed the basic sails and the wife and I added the framing ropes and the cringle loops to the corners. All of the reefing tie ropes had to be added as well. I am now in the process stitching the sails to the foremast and adding all of the running rigging. Once all of this is completed, I will post some photos before stepping the mast into the ship. I have also completed the construction of the mainmast, but have not added the spars yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I have completed the construction of the foremast off ship. This includes the spars, sails, and almost all of the running rigging. It will now be stepped into the ship and the standing rigging completed as well as the lower shrouds and attaching all of the running rigging to the deck. With addition of the sails, the amount of running rigging increases substantially.

Like I mentioned before, I prefer to complete the masts off ship so I don't have to rotate the ship continuously to attach the rigging and sew the sails. This method works well for me.

pict0563.jpg

pict0564.jpg

pict0565.jpg

pict0566.jpg

pict0567.jpg

This method is very interesting, and I am thinking of using it on my Stefano when the time comes. Do you think the sails will interfere with tying the shrouds and ratlines? Great looking ship!