Royal William by pirozzi - FINISHED - Euromodels - 1/70

I finished all of the foremast running rigging that could be done at this point in the build. That was a lot of rigging. The plans are vague in some areas as to the belay points for some of the rigging. I had to rely on books from R.L. Anderson, Keith Julier, and the photo gallery from Euromodels for some information. Having experience in rigging these types of ships with full sails also helped. Having to do all this research makes this project all the more fun.

Next up is the standing rigging for the foremast and the bowsprit running rigging.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

pict0571.jpg

pict0572.jpg

pict0573.jpg

pict0574.jpg

pict0575.jpg

pict0576.jpg

On 2/16/2018 at 5:09 AM, donrobinson said:

This method is very interesting, and I am thinking of using it on my Stefano when the time comes. Do you think the sails will interfere with tying the shrouds and ratlines? Great looking ship!

This method is very interesting, and I am thinking of using it on my Stefano when the time comes. Do you think the sails will interfere with tying the shrouds and ratlines? Great looking ship!

Hi Don,

It does not interfere at all. I used it on building the Sovereign of the Seas. The only shrouds you will be doing is the lower ones. All of the others up above are done off ship.

The spritsail topmast backstay is a complicated array of blocks in a spider weblike pattern. In order to get the whole thing to balance and tensioned evenly, I built a jig. I traced the diagram first from the plans and taped it to a board. Then using small nails I built the thing on the board. I will remove it and place it on the ship. More photos to follow. I used this method on the Sovereign of the Seas which had several large and even more complicated arrays for the mizzen mast upper stays and they came out perfect.

pict0578.jpg

Hi Don,

It will not interfere. I used this method on the Sovereign of the seas and it worked out well. I believe the whole issue with rigging is to work from the inside out. Doing the shrouds and ratlines first limits the ability to get inside where most of the rigging is, especially if rigging with sails.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I found this great book, thanks to a new member here, Mark from Virginia USA. It is illustrated with actual drawings and paintings from the 1600's by the builders of  war ships of the period of the mid to late 17th century. Also photos of various museum models.  Since I am building the Royal William and Prince coming next, I thought it would be a good addition to my reference library. Not only is it a great book, but it has diagrams of rigging plans as well. I am building the RW with full rigged sails and the plans leave out some of the tiny details. I have been going back and forth to several sources trying to figure the running rigging out. This book has a complete diagram for rigging sails on a ship like the RW. In ten minutes it answered all the questions I had. It also has fabulous closeup photos of the decorations for the RW and the Prince and many other ships of the period.

I got a used copy in almost new condition from Amazon for $149 US.

Thanks Mark! 

pict0582.jpg

pict0583.jpg

Finally completed the standing and running rigging of the foremast and bowsprit. Only things left are the braces and lower shrouds of the foremast which will be done later in the build to allow access to the inside of the decks. This area of the ship has the most complicated and intense rigging considering you are really rigging 2 masts together, so the hardest part is over with. With the sails, as said before, the amount of rigging is much more complicated. I had to accomplish the rigging in layers from the inside out in order to have access when needed. I made a list of all of the lines and prioritized them by numbers and completed each in pairs.

Next up is placing dozens of tiny rope coils to all of the belay points and then moving on to the mainmast.

pict0584.jpg

pict0585.jpg

pict0586.jpg

pict0587.jpg

pict0588.jpg

pict0589.jpg

pict0590.jpg

pict0591.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally another post. The mainmast is fully constructed and rigged. There was an enormous amount of work to complete this and that is why it took so long. I can only put in an hour or two here and there. I am partially furling the main course so the decks and their details can be seen on the finished model. Next is to step this mast to the ship and complete the standing rigging and belay all of the running rigging to the decks.

pict0592.jpg

pict0593.jpg

• 1 month later...

Completed the main mast and stepped it into the ship along with all of the standing and running rigging and the sails. Huge amount of additional rigging for the sails. Still have to complete the lower shrouds and braces. 

Next up is to complete the lower shrouds and rattlings for the foremast since the majority of the rigging to the decks is now completed. The remainder of the staysail running rigging ties off to the foremast shrouds before tying off to the deck.

pict0601.jpg

pict0600.jpg

pict0599.jpg

pict0598.jpg

pict0597.jpg

pict0596.jpg

pict0595.jpg

pict0594.jpg

Amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Vince,

Of all the models built and that I have seen from this Euromodel-supplied 'kit', I have to say that the detail shown in your build is just one of a few that stand out above the rest. You have emulated the fine detail from the drawings and this is the unsung hallmark of Euromodel; their drawings are there to be copied to the degree that you feel comfortable with …. and you are so comfortable with showing the absolute detail. Congratulations.

Pete

2 hours ago, piratepete007 said:

Vince,

Of all the models built and that I have seen from this Euromodel-supplied 'kit', I have to say that the detail shown in your build is just one of a few that stand out above the rest. You have emulated the fine detail from the drawings and this is the unsung hallmark of Euromodel; their drawings are there to be copied to the degree that you feel comfortable with …. and you are so comfortable with showing the absolute detail. Congratulations.

Pete

Thanks Pete. It is fun to include as much detail as possible. The plans are very precise, but you really have to read them over and over to pick out every little detail. 

• 5 weeks later...

Vince, I've been off MSW for the past couple of months but came across your build and wanted to say that I love the sails.  Did you use the sail cloth that came with the kit?  I just realized my LAR kit came with sail cloth, and I might just use it if it's the same stuff you are using.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike, 

I did use the cloth from the kit but there was not enough. Since sewing is out of my league,  I had a friend of mine who happens to be a seamstress, make the basic sails. She found more cloth that closely matched the kit. I had her stain the cloth with tea because it was very white. Real sails had a stained and weathered look. The tea did the job. When she delivered the sails,  I added the corner cringles, the edge ropes,  and the reefing ties. 

I think adding the sails makes for a more authentic model. It does however add a considerable amount of labor and supplies. 

Vince

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the foremast. All of the standing and running rigging is complete except for the Course sheet, clew, and tack lines. These will be done at the very end of the build to allow easy access to the sides of the hull for what is left.

Next up is to construct the mizzen mast and step it. Then I can finish the main mast rigging. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. A few more months and she will be completed. 🤩

pict0606.jpg

pict0607.jpg

pict0608.jpg

pict0609.jpg

WOW! Outstanding! This is a magnificent ship, and you are doing a magnificent job with it. Congratulations!!!

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Superb work  - she is looking Gorgeous,   the sails add so much detail and give her a  3D  look.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 4 weeks later...

Vince,

I'll repeat my early comments I made .

Truly Magnificent!, Inspiring!

I love the sails.  They look great.  Really adds to the model, makes it come alive from a static model to a real ship ready to sail out of port!

K.

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful work Vince!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 weeks later...