Royal William by pirozzi - FINISHED - Euromodels - 1/70

Hi Vince,

it is amazing what you do... I see I have to learn really still a lot, but it makes fun to read, watch and - learn :D

I am very curious to see the next steps to be done on this great model.

All the best

Cheerio

:10_1_10:

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Vince's build log for the Euromodel Royal William will be a lengthy document and an intriguing thing to watch as it unfolds. For some time, I have been placing a set of interpretive files for the Royal William on the Euromodel website. This allows me to re-edit sections as I wish and it is to people like Vince that I am so grateful for their feedback and criticisms. My intention was never to produce a build log - I like to present a range of ideas that could be used in a build and remain flexible. This privilege of placing work on their website is purely for my fun and has nothing to do with Euromodel itself - it just satisfies my editorial background. This ship has been on the back-burner for ages as I direct my attention to other ships instead.

However, I have almost finished another version of 'RW.INT.01.v7' - Royal William Interpretive 01, version 7 - which incorporates some of Vince's work and also some of my recent work on a pair of curved staircases/ ladders for the Upper Quarter Deck !

For those who would like to receive an update when it does occur, I find the link at the top of this page 'Follow This Topic' an invaluable source - it just pops up as an email message. It works like a treat when anybody adds something to Vince's build log.

Pete

Hello.

Not sure if you are aware of this, but the book  "The Period Ship Handbook" by Keith Julier, ISBN 1 55750 678-7 Naval Institute Press, features a full chapter (Chapter 4, 35 pages long with plenty of text and photos) to the building of the Euromodel kit of the Royal William.

Just for your information. Hope this helps.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hello.

Not sure if you are aware of this, but the book "The Period Ship Handbook" by Keith Julier, ISBN 1 55750 678-7 Naval Institute Press, features a full chapter (Chapter 4, 35 pages long with plenty of text and photos) to the building of the Euromodel kit of the Royal William.

Just for your information. Hope this helps.

I have just posted an update for my work on the Royal William onto the Euromodel website (under 'Customer Assistance'). This in no way detracts from Vince's work on his build log as my writings are only intended as reference material. RW.INT.01.v7 [Royal William Interpretive file 01, version 7]

This file includes some comments on building a pair of curved staircases for the Upper Quarter Deck on the Royal William. I must admit to being fixated on one approach but I hope you find it interesting. Already, I have now worked out a better approach and will post that later.

I have started a new posting 'Euromodel Interpretive Files' and in that I can keep people up to date on any new material I have written.

Pete

Hi, I am new on msw and will follow this thread with great interest. I have just purchased a royal william model built 30 years ago by someone in Netherlands. There is some work for restoration. I can post a picture of the boat if someone is interested. I will have to find some parts like the 4 statues of the rear stern. If someone can tell,me whre I can get them it would be helpful. I was thinking maybe it is possible to print these fittings with a 3d printer.

Michel

Euromodel still has the original plans and fittings for the Royal William. Not sure if the individual parts are available or it comes only as a set but I suspect that the former applies. A query through their Helpdesk will get a reply within 24 hours so give them a go but include some photos. 3D printers will be the way to go in the near future.

Pete

Hi Everyone,

Please do not use this build log to chit-chat among yourselves. If you have a comment or question of me regarding by build of the Royal William, or anything else you would like to communicate to me, then that is OK. This build log was created only to illustrate and share the construction of this ship by me.

Thanks for your consideration,

Vince P.

OK I wasn't sure in wich thread to post as this was the only thread about Royal William I thought it would be more convenient to get all the information in one thread. I did'int know it was a kind of private thread. Anyways I have deleted my previous posts so I don't pollute your thread.

regards

Michel

Starting the first layer of planking. I will plank from the main deck down to the lower gun deck. All of these planks do not need tapering, and only bending with an iron for the sharp contour of the bow. The planks are in limewood at 6mm x 1.5mm. Once these areas are done, the gunport locations and the placing of the other full decks can be addressed.

Vince P.

post-579-0-61187000-1392333586_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-72559800-1392333589_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-24869100-1392333592_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-86017000-1392333594_thumb.jpg

Still working on the first layer of planking from the main deck down to the lower gun deck. Very slow process. Even with careful alignment of the bulkheads, a considerable amount of adjusting is necessary to keep the planks running smoothly and the surface as straight as possible. Several bulkheads on both sides had to be either shaved down or shimmed up. The solid blocks at the bow requires the most effort. They have to be finely adjusted as each plank is laid. If I had to do it all over again, I would eliminate the blocks and just place 2 contoured plywood boards on the stem and butt the planks against them, allowing the planks to form a natural curve of their own. I did it this way on the SOS and it came out nicely without much effort.

Photos to come as soon as I complete this section of the hull planking. :mellow:

Vince P.

I have finished the first planking from the main deck down to the lower gun deck. It was a long process and required very many adjustments to the bulkheads and blow block. Next up is to locate the gunports for the 2 lower gun decks. You can see I have marked the planks with vertical lines for the centers of the bulkheads, and dotted lines for the top line of each deck. Using these marks and plan sheet #8, I can plot the exact location of each gun port. Then comes the fun part of drawing them on the hull and cutting them out. :( I got spoiled by other kits such as the SOS which came with templates that already located all of the gun ports. This will definetely be much more of a challenge. :dancetl6:

Vince P.

post-579-0-02306700-1393367006_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-40751700-1393367009_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-77302000-1393367011_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-93162100-1393367013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vince P.

Hi Vince,

Just a great job so far. I am following along closely as I also have this model waiting in the wings. (Un)fortunately there are several models ahead of her. However, I will watch your progress and take some notes.

Cheers,

Peter

p.s. Thanks for the great photos as well!

Edited by petervisser

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

When I was up to that stage of construction, I cut out the gunports. Is the lower gun deck sitting loosely in place Vince ?

You will need to fit dummy gun barrel supports to the lower deck and paint them matt black as per Peters supplemental instructions.

I subsequently assembled a cannon carriage and used it on the upper decks as a measuring guide to check the height spacing for the upper gunports. 

Hi Brian,

The lower deck was secured before I started the planking. I am now cutting out the gunports for the lower deck. The false cannon blocks are already made and painted and will be mounted as soon as the all of the ports have been cut out. There are photos coming shortly.

Vince P.

Working on locating and cutting out the gunports for the lower gun deck.

First I marked the center of each port on the hull using plan sheet #8 measurements. Then I placed a small nail at each center so I could look down the side of the hull to see if they all were in algnment. A couple had to be adjusted slightly.

Second I created a small jig that measures 14mm square, which is the gunport dimensions, with a belaying pin for a handle and a 2mm wood dowel for a pilot. I drilled a 2mm hole in the center of each port location.

Third I placed the jig in each center hole and traced the sides on the hull to mark the square cutout.

Fourth I drilled more holes in the marked squares to aid in making the cutouts.

Lastly as each cutout was cut and squared off, I placed the jig into the hole until it fit snuggly. The result is a nice square hole of the correct dimension.

Vince P.

post-579-0-84463400-1393618386_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-07359200-1393618389_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-06199600-1393618553_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-72600800-1393618555_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-54371400-1393618680_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-48332600-1393618906_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-08764900-1393618909_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-88486800-1393618911_thumb.jpg

I finished cutting out the gun ports for the lower gun deck. Using plan sheet #8, I was able to locate the ports fairly accurately.

Next up was to place the false gun blocks. Since I already had ports cut out, centering the blocks was easy, and I had only 2 dimensions to deal with. The first was to measure the height of the gun barrels from the deck, and the other to determine how far back from the deck edge to place the blocks so the barrels protruded the correct distance. In the Euro notes, Peter had provided these dimensions, but I decided to make my own calculations using the plans and the gun barrels. It just so happens that Peter's figures were almost exactly what I came up with, so I used his, The holes in the blocks were drilled 13.4mm from the bottom and the blocks were located 11.7mm inward from the outer edge of the deck. There were 4 ports on each side that will remain closed, so no blocks were placed there. 

Next up will be placing the middle gun deck.

Vince P.

post-579-0-60822900-1393911878_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-02656900-1393911908_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-02562000-1393911919_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-43566700-1393911935_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-50516700-1393911944_thumb.jpg

Having secured the middle gun deck, the gunports are marked for cutting out. I decided to cut the gun deck in half again making 4 quarters just like the lower gun deck. It is much easier to manipulate being it was so long only cut down the middle. The cross sectional cut was made across the center of bulkhead "1". Also, since these gunports are smaller at 13.0mm square, I just shaved down the 14.0mm jig I made for the lower ports. 

Vince P.

post-579-0-08660200-1394048138_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-82311100-1394048141_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-72473200-1394048144_thumb.jpg

That is a very clever system for marking gun ports - impressive work!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Nice progress Vince. Your techniques are clearly working very well for you.

Vince,

Nice update. Your hull, and gun ports all looks excellent. Clever of you to add dummy carriages for the lower and upper gun decks. I wish that I had known about this very brilliant idea before I closed up my hull. (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Great idea for doing those gun ports... they look perfect!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Vince,

I am curious about what tool or tools you used to make such clean and square cut gunports. Mine never turn out so perfectly. My problem could be lack of patience and not choice of tools. I use a Dremel small grinding bit to make most of the hole and then try to square things up with a sharp knife. As always, I admire your workmanship. Mine turn out OK, but never like yours.

Hi Vince,

I am curious about what tool or tools you used to make such clean and square cut gunports. Mine never turn out so perfectly. My problem could be lack of patience and not choice of tools. I use a Dremel small grinding bit to make most of the hole and then try to square things up with a sharp knife. As always, I admire your workmanship. Mine turn out OK, but never like yours.

Hi Andy,

On cutting out the gun ports, I am doing them in a similar way to you.

First I mark out the center of the port on the hull and drill a 2mm pilot hole. Then I place a square jig which is the full size of the port in the hole and draw out the square on the hull. Next I drill 4 more 2mm holes, one in each corner of the square. I use a small diamond cutting bit (1mm) in my Dremel tool to cut across all of the holes (connect the dots), which removes the center section of the square. Next I use the cutting tool to carve out the square just inside the marked area. Lastly I use a knife shaped diamond fine file to finish the square. I use the jig to place in the hole as I file it until it fits snuggly. It does take time and patience to do each hole, and gets boring when you are doing a ship with 3 gun decks. My build log pretty much shows how I do it.

Vince P.

Hi Vince,

OK, now I see my problem. You're using diamonds. I'm sure it has nothing to do with skill level and patience.

Thanks for the response, and I'll be following your Royal William log with interest.

Andy