Royal William by pirozzi - FINISHED - Euromodels - 1/70

Hi Mates,

More on my Royal William. Construction of the curved staircases. There are several ways to accomplish this and no matter, it has to be done from scratch. I chose not to reinvent the wheel and used Keith Julier's method of starting with a solid block of wood. It was quite a chore, but not as bad as I anticipated. The results were not quite a work of art, ;) but as good as my skills would allow. They may have come out a little long, as they encroach on the grates when mounted.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

pict0483a.jpg

pict0484.jpg

pict0485.jpg

pict0486.jpg

pict0487.jpg

pict0490.jpg

pict0491.jpg

pict0492.jpg

G'day Vince 

The staircases are brilliant! Well done and love liked the curved balustrade, it must have taken you a lot of time to get them so right.

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

A few more little updates to the deck fixtures.

I constructed and placed the boat supports on the main deck.

I had some little brass stars and placed on the ends of the catheads for a personal touch.

The ladders to the poopdeck.

The rigging brackets on the rear of the poopdeck for the main course sails.

The bits on the upper quarterdeck.

Next up are the forecastle guns.

pict0497.jpg

pict0498.jpg

pict0501.jpg

pict0499.jpg

pict0500.jpg

pict0502.jpg

The service to the members on this site is awesome to say the least! I made a major blunder and accidentally deleted this whole build log. :o I posted in the contact section to the administrators for help, asking if it could be restored. In less than 2 hours an administrator names James Hatch restored it and sent me a notice. I don't know James, but a big THANK YOU.

Another gem of a build Vince. Have you had a serious look at the rigging yet ? I have managed to almost complete a full set of photos, diagrams and text to explain all the intricacies of rigging such that you will not be left in any doubt as to 'what goes where'. Will let you (and the others) know when it is ready. What a challenge this has been but I have worked my way through all of the immense detail involved.

Pete

8 hours ago, piratepete007 said:

Another gem of a build Vince. Have you had a serious look at the rigging yet ? I have managed to almost complete a full set of photos, diagrams and text to explain all the intricacies of rigging such that you will not be left in any doubt as to 'what goes where'. Will let you (and the others) know when it is ready. What a challenge this has been but I have worked my way through all of the immense detail involved.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Since rigging is my favorite part of the build, I try and rig as complete and accurate as possible. If you look at my last build of the SOS, you will see that she is rigged nothing like the kit plans. I did a huge amount of research before the rigging. I will do the same for the RW. I am looking forward to your notes and am sure they will be a great help.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The rudder assembly has been completed and placed on the hull. Pretty straight forward, but bending the metal brackets to follow the hull was tricky. The metal is very soft and the bends needed are quite drastic. A little heating with a hair dryer and bending ever so slowly is small increments is critical to prevent breaking them.

Also, the safety lines on the rudder according to the plans are ropes and not chains. There is no chain supplied in the kit, so I just used the correct size rope (1.0mm).

Next up will be to continue with the outside hull fixtures such as gun port lids, chain wales, doorways, and ladders, etc.

pict0508.jpg

pict0509.jpg

pict0510.jpg

G'day Vince 

What a brilliant job you did on the rudder. It looks like you know how to go from now and you can stear a steady course!

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Ok, Pirate Pete and I did some research on rudder pendants of ships of the RW period. It appears that the plans are not exactly correct, but close. I decided that I will remove the rope pendants I installed and do it the accurate way. I actually got the idea from photos of the actual HMS Victory currently moored in England. I have to order some supplies in order to complete this, so more to come as soon as they arrive.

I have installed the closed gun port lids on the port side. They were created from walnut plywood and strips. The hinge plates were not the ones included in the kit. I used larger ones for the lower ports and smaller ones for the uppers. I made the hinges out of small eye bolts and brass wire. I determined that 2 pull up ropes were needed for the lower ports, since these ports were large and heavy. Single ropes are used for the uppers. When I make and install the open port lids, I will use the same configuration. Now on to the starboard side.

pict0512.jpg

pict0513.jpg

pict0514.jpg

OK, I mentioned that the rudder pendants in the plans were not exactly authentic. I removed the ropes I had installed. Using actual photos of the HMS Victory in England, I determined how to rig them. The pendants are actually chains and ropes. The chains are attached to the rear edge of the rudder above the waterline with eyebolts and rings. Then up to the transom and fed through 2 more eyebolts and rings. Here the chains terminate. A heavy rope pendant is then spliced to the end of the chain with an open hook and ring and the hook is seized with rope to keep the pendant from slipping off the chain. The pendant then continues up through another eyebolt in the hull and through a hole in the hull just under and towards the rear of the mizzen channels. According to research, this arrangement would allow the rudder to be used if the tiller were damaged, and also helps to keep the rudder from being washed away should damage of the gudgeons and pintles occur. 

pict0514.jpg

pict0515.jpg

pict0516.jpg

G'day Vince 

It's looks great to me! Your and Pete's research makes the difference.  Well done memattieee. 

Happymodelling 

Greg 

• 2 weeks later...

The starboard side hull entry port with planking ladder installed. The metal parts supplied in the kit were fine and just needed some cleaning up and painting. The 2 columns supporting the roof were metal wire in the kit. I used 2 small cannon wheels and toothpicks to create columns that were tapered and looked more decorative.

Next up are the chain wales.

pict0517.jpg

pict0518.jpg

pict0519.jpg

G'day Vince 

Same as Pete  but with....... a bit fiddly as well! 

Bloody great mate 

Havagooday 

Greg 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on this build. Have been working on the chain wales and shroud lanyards. Since everything has to be made from scratch, it is a slow process. Will have some photos soon.

G'day Vince 

My face is turning blue because I'm holding my breath for more photos 😆😊.  Lol

I'll be waiting for more updates. 

Havagooday 

Greg 

• 2 weeks later...