HMS Surprise by Navis Factorem - FINISHED - 1:75

very nice progress David.........very clean and well done.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Upper part of planking done and cutwater, keel and sternpost fitted.

Cheers.

post-984-0-44754800-1431839992_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-06464500-1431840008_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-56300500-1431840025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Navis Factorem

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

• 4 weeks later...

Planking progress.

20 done, 16 to go.

Getting to the tricky bit now, so far I have been tapering the bow planks by 1mm at varying lengths to keep a consistent tapering difference between midships and the bow. With any luck I will be able to keep this up and not need any drop planks.

The stern is a bit more complex. There is a narrowing between midships and part of the way to the sternpost than the hull flairs toward the rudder. This will need some stealers to make up the difference.

Previous models have been planked using contact adhesive and the process has been a bit panicky and hurried as well as messy. This time I am using PVA, a product called Titebond which I find pretty as it has good initial grab but still allows some adjustment. This is much slower but more relaxing. I do one or maybe 2 pairs of planks at a session.

Cheers,

David. 

post-984-0-91794200-1433753143_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-31260100-1433753151_thumb.jpg

With your skill level it seems a pity to paint the hull. The finishes are outstanding.

I wonder if you realise quite how many people you are inspiring with this build.

Thank you.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Very nice build David,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

nice progress!   it's slow {I use white glue,  and CA for the tight spots},  but when your finished,  you'll be glad you took the time!    love the color!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

More planking progress.

Now down to the last 8 planks, so far so good with the "eye ball" approach. I may yet come to grief!

I have been curving the planks mainly at the bow and  now more toward the stern with a soldering iron to get a shaping across the width of the planks that allows them to lie flat on the 3 dimensional hull curves. I haven't tried this before but it seems to be working. 

As a bit of a distraction I have been working on the stern windows. The mullion sections work out at about 0.75mm square to scale. I initially tried slicing timber but the very small section was unstable and the first attempts fell apart! I acquired some 1 mm square polystyrene rod and tried that and am encouraged by the results. So far I have made up 3 of the 7 stern windows and i think they will be OK once painted.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-46550200-1434703942_thumb.jpg

8 planks to go

post-984-0-00549000-1434703951_thumb.jpg

8 on one side, 9 on the other

post-984-0-00447500-1434703969_thumb.jpg

Stealers to be infilled

post-984-0-68154300-1434703991_thumb.jpg

plank curved to fit on 3 dimensional hull curves

post-984-0-90000100-1434703932_thumb.jpg

stern window shaped with plastic rod on the piece cut out from the stern

post-984-0-16664600-1434703986_thumb.jpg

stern windows so far

super progress David  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I really like your hull planking. It looks great. Your stern windows are coming along nice. What method are you goin to use for the glass? I see some of the other Modelers here use a product that is liquid and you simply pour it into the windows. I Remember "Brian the Extrodinare" was telling us about this product.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hull planking complete! The "doing it by eye" approach seems to have worked out OK. 

There are 35 planks each side with 2 small stealers either side at the stern. The bow worked out with plank tapering to a minimum of 50% plank width and heat shaping to fit the 3 dimensional curved areas.

Now to tidy up, a light sand, excess glue removal and some minor repairs. Cleaning up the PVA glue should be a lot easier than removing the contact adhesive of previous builds.

Next some paint to above the water line. My original thought was to leave below the water line clear finish natural timber rather than attempting some sort of coppering finish and I think I will stick to this.

At times the planking process got pretty strenuous, removing glue, smoothing out lumps and bumps and firmly holding down parts of planks that were reluctant to stay put, done with the hull on its side or upside down resting on the bulwarks. All this was managed without collateral damage. I'm sure this was due to the early decision to make the basic hull structure from 6mm marine ply and to build up the hull thickness so that the area above the main deck was solid and strong. As a precaution I screw fixed the keel and the cut water to ensure they wouldn't move during the planking and future build processes.

The 2 holes that can be seen in the keel are for threaded rods to screw into internal captive nuts for final display. I didn't do this on my Bounty build and had no end of trouble fixing her keel to the brass display supports. No such problems this time.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-34446900-1435468924_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-11034200-1435468955_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-94642700-1435468935_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-44692000-1435468949_thumb.jpg

In answer to the window glazing question I haven't decided yet.

I may try Janos method of puddling PVA glue onto a smooth plastic surface, placing the window frame on the spread out PVA then peeling off the plastic when set. In the past I have glued thin rigid packaging plastic to the back of the frame but I think the PVA approach may work better. To achieve a decent finish I think I would need to finish paint the window frames first.

Cheers,

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Hull planking tidied up and sanded.

A few of the plank joints are a little wider than I would have liked and I have the option of some filling. However, I don't think I will fill as this may decrease the plank edge definition which I think is important to maintain so that the planked character of the hull is visible.

The planking colour looks a bit patchy as the pics were taken just after wiping down with a damp cloth to remove dust and excess glue. When I took the bow shot some bits had dried. The hull below the water line will be clear finished so this is the colour I will get. I have definitely decided against coppering below the water line.

After painting down to the waterline I can now start on more detailed work around the bow and stern.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-66092100-1436944324_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-34148900-1436944358_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-56514600-1436944338_thumb.jpg

Transformation time!

Some serious painting has been done and the hull is now the finished colours.

The black was easy enough, Chaos Black from the Games Workshop range. I thought the yellowish colour was going to be more difficult, the more pics of replicas and other models I looked at the more options there seemed to be for this colour, ranging from almost lemon yellow to quite dark ochres.

I couldn't find anything close to the colour I was looking for at any of the usual model shops so I thought I would be in for a lengthy mixing trial and error process but before starting on this I decided to give the Games Workshop another visit and found a standard colour which is exactly what I was after.

Painting the black and ochre bands was relatively easy as I was working to steps in the hull planking but the waterline was a bit more of a challenge.

I am quite happy with the finished look.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-28424100-1437635654_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-64774200-1437635665_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-54719400-1437635644_thumb.jpg

paint work looks super David  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Greetings all, 

Back from holiday and into some stern detailing.

First dry fit of windows and some of the rails and stern arch fitted.

Next will be fine tuning the fit and glazing the sashes. I have done a trial on a spare sash using PVA glue spread on a piece of acrylic then window placed onto the glue and carefully peeled off and trimmed when dry. Works pretty well. Will do a few more trials on spare windows, I have a few that weren't quite the right shape, they were even worse than the latest attempts.

There is still plenty of details to go on the stern. Unfortunately the drawings in Lavery and Hunt don't show much detail so I need to find other sources. Some of Geoff Hunt's paintings show details and I will be working from these. There is also the "Master & Commander" replica and pictures of various other models to refer to so some creative interpretation will be required.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-99476600-1443252429_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-68472200-1443252444_thumb.jpg       post-984-0-90290800-1443252418_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Stern windows take 2.

After looking at the windows for a while I decided that I wasn't happy with the size of the inside mullions in relation to the outside frames so I cut out the mullions and replaced them with material about two thirds the thickness.

I also decided to try the PVA glazing method and it worked out OK. I spread out a film of PVA on a perspex sheet and placed the window frames onto it. After the glue had set I peeled off the windows and trimmed the edges. I tried the process on a sheet of glass but the PVA stuck to the glass better than to the window frames so that did not work!

Now I have glazed windows installed at the stern and can start on the rest of the stern detail.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-04101400-1444471586_thumb.jpg

Stern windows now installed

post-984-0-05295300-1444471602_thumb.jpg

Revised frames with smaller mullions

post-984-0-27993400-1444471553_thumb.jpg

Frames on wet PVA  

post-984-0-62875600-1444471569_thumb.jpg

PVA dry before removing and trimming

Edited by Navis Factorem

More stern details.

The design of decorative elements above the quarter gallery windows took a bit of research but at the end of the day there seemed to be several different versions so I thought I might get a bit creative and create my own take on them. This bit of one of the paintings in the L & H book looked to be the most interesting so I used this as a start.

post-984-0-47953700-1445141591_thumb.jpg

This is my version:

post-984-0-89569300-1445142047_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-14385600-1445141706_thumb.jpg     post-984-0-75433600-1445141727_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-56095900-1445141715_thumb.jpg  

post-984-0-38893000-1445141744_thumb.jpg

Now I can start on the bow details, all those curved elements should be interesting to create.

Cheers,

David.

The galleries came out very well, David.  I like the colors and treatment.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The PVA dries clear, what you can see on the close up is the white paint on the inside of the quarter gallery. Get up close and you can see through the windows.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard of it,  but never tried it.........I use Testor's window maker.   it dries crystal clear.......sometimes too clear for my taste  :D  :D      what is perspex?  is it what we {here in the states} call plexiglass?    super job on the windows........they really look great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: