Any fruit wood should be good for framing or planking. I have used American cherry on several projects and had good results. It is hard, holds a good edge when sawed, and varies from darker reddish brown (heartwood) to a lighter brown (sapwood). It can be a bit knotty in spots and it best to avoid those areas because the wood is not as stable around knots. Cherry will make good framing or planking.

For planking, some folks like to "paint with wood" meaning they use different woods to mimic the color scheme. Boxwood might be good for the upper side planking while something darker could be used for the wales. Or, if you want to paint your model, cherry or some other similar hard wood could be used throughout.

Russ

What American hard wood would you recommend for planking that bend well ?

Edited by sport29652

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Apply enough soaking and heat and any wood will bend, even ebony. Here's some pics of a pretty radical curve plank of cherry I used on my Licorne.  It not only curved forward approaching the bow but had twist and then a lateral curve in the main curve.

I soaked the strip a lot longer than I needed to as life got in the way and then bent it using ship as the jig.  Normally, I use an old curling iron but do to all the curves and twists, in situ seemed to be the best solution.

post-76-0-47560200-1390351602_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-11233600-1390351615_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-83606300-1390351616_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well there you go. Looks like cherry will work fine, just need extra soaking and encouragement. I used cherry wood that Model Expo supplied with the Bounty Launch kit and it hated to be bent. Maybe that was just that particular lot of wood.

Richard

Mark and Jim, next time I'm at the woodworking store I'll pick up some birch. I'll experement with the cherry I have.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Having said what I said earlier, the only wood that is really a bear to work with is ebony.  The rest are all doable.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)