If you were allowed only one power tool - what would it be?

Many years back I had the use of a Shopsmith for a week. A mini one? Oh, yes please!

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Heh, maybe I should say "vacuum cleaner" ;) 

I built my very first model without any power tools. All I had was a box cutter, some surgical tools, sandpaper, and a file. And, I did this in a tiny apartment. I managed OK - but if I did not have a vac cleaner, my wife would have killed me! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

• 2 weeks later...

I'd second the bandsaw - with the right selection of blades I've cut bulkheads, frames, planks, box joints, dovetails (although I'd love it if Leigh would produce a minature version - I've had one of their superjigs for years & it's amazing) and veneers - maximum of 100 mm width & thickness of approx 0.8mm for mahogany and oak. Rotary tool is a must but if I could sneak it past SWMBO (or the Admiral) then one of these with all the extras -

http://peatol.com

I think they're marketed as the Taig lathe in the US. I just love the simplicity of the design - it appeals to the 'cobble something together' in me !!

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

I have read the comments with interest. So much depends on the style of the builder, kit or scratch, etc.

I like tools, I admit it, I proclaim it, I shout it from the roof tops. Ok, maybe I don't shout it from the roof tops but as my build progresses I have bought both powered and manual tools to add to those I use in wood sculpting. Heck, learning how to use them is half the fun and each is beginning to contribute to my build. I even used the mini mill which pretty much was an impulse buy. (I am so glad I set aside a hobby fund before I retired.)

But, I wonder at the stories of builders who did not have access to much at all in the way of tools and built their models with only a knife, or stories of prisoners forming found objects as tools and using bone for stock. Much of their work is really good. So, I sometimes wonder, what could I accomplish with a folding knife and perhaps one file.

Probably not going to happen, but still, I wonder what if...

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

• 1 month later...

I use mostly hand tools (sandpaper, files, knifes, etc). For power tools it would be Dremel and scroll saw. I have been contemplating about buying a combo belt and disc sander. Besides building boats I also build working clocks and getting those teeth sanded by hand takes a long time.

I don't know.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I have been contemplating about buying a combo belt and disc sander.

I've had a small Delta desktop combo long before I thought about making a model boat, and I've found it to be immensely useful. The beds are reasonably flat and with some reasonably frequent checking w/square and bench blocks, the disk makes a nice truing surface. It is also useful as a sanding surface when turned off for more delicate work.  The narrow belt is great for roughing out inside radii.

As far as the one power tool, I don't know if it counts (it's got a battery) but I use my digital calipers constantly...

Many years ago, around 1973, I purchased a Unimat SL.  That thing was a variable (belt driven) combination lathe (metal and wood), drill press, verticle milling, table saw, jig saw, disc sander, flexible shaft handpiece, all around whatever you needed machine.  There were so many accessories available that it was an entire workshop rolled up in one.

Wish I still had it!

Edited by Jack Tar

Jack

Builds:

Bluenose  (Model Shipways 1:100)

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Mayflower (Model Shipways)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

I've had a small Delta desktop combo long before I thought about making a model boat, and I've found it to be immensely useful. The beds are reasonably flat and with some reasonably frequent checking w/square and bench blocks, the disk makes a nice truing surface. It is also useful as a sanding surface when turned off for more delicate work.  The narrow belt is great for roughing out inside radii.

As far as the one power tool, I don't know if it counts (it's got a battery) but I use my digital calipers constantly...

Thank you for the comment and this will help me decide to purchase one. I did some research on the reviews of several models and price. The one from Harbor Freight is reasonable, I've seen it in there store and I like it. I am going to get it. I don't want to spend a lot of money on an electric tool, I have never used before. Try it out and if I use it as much as you do, I will look for a mid-range model.

Calipers do count. I uses them as well, I have one from grad. school and it is still very accurate.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 5 months later...

Your question does not compute. I am a firm believer in the philosophy "He who dies with the most toys WINS!!!!"

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 1 month later...

Dremmel 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I agree with Danny. The Jim Byrne' Table saw. Except for ripping blanks, everything else can be done with a hand tool and elbow grease.

My grandfather and father both, required me to master hand tools long before being able to touch power tools. What a blessing they gave me. With that said, now with everything available to me, I would have to chose the band saw. That and a scrap box of MDO plywood and you can make a jig for any application :)

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L