Lumber Yard's Oneida

Sonar Bob

Bob,

There are three versions of Oneida in the completed ship gallery.  Elia's is the truest to the kit, and Clay's (cfn1803) is started from the kit, with substantial alterations.  There is also a scratchbuilt Oneida, by shipmodel, at a smaller scale), and I have my version in the kit build log forum (the link is in my signature).

I don't know why the search doesn't work well in the gallery.    The two Lumberyard Oneidas are on page 16 of the kit built gallery (alphabetical as "US Brig Oneida"), and shipmodel's scratch Oneida is on page 4 of the scratch gallery.

Good luck, and I'll be happy to help any way I can, just send me a PM, or better yet start a build log and you'll get all the help you need! 

Regards,

Ron

Edited by rlb

Bob and John,

I think you'll find that the fastest and best way to get help is to open a build log.  If you look at the logs, you'll see what I mean.  We're all modelers here and everyone is willing to help if they can.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm building using the Hahn method also.  Attached some pics of the two main tools I used for setting the frames on the buildboard.

post-76-0-65261100-1390263349_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-32664500-1390263351_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-84106600-1390263352_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-62551800-1390263354_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For a newbie, what is special in "Hahn method"? I read a number of build logs. it looks like any other admirality style model. Well, yes, you use a jig and start building upside down, but probably there is something else that I totally miss.

Mike,

Yes, it's built upside down.  Also, Hahn didn't do plans with ledges, knees, etc.  He wanted to build ships and left out a lot of the details.  Others, he stylized, like the framing.  His framing method is faster and more wasteful of wood than others.  I think the last point is the major one... the method of making frames.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 months later...

After I put the full frames together I took the half profile and duplicated it and then glued it down to the building board so the would be a port and strboard side on either side of the center line taking care to leave a space for the keel between the two. I then used the frame drawings to bevel the first six since it seemed like such a lot of wood to remove by sanding once on the keel plus I would have a better idea of what the hull would look like. To make sure the frames were centered I used perpendiculars lined up with the profiles.  It became obvious that the half profiles were not as wide as the frames and so I measure out from the profile the same amount on each side so the frame was, I thought, centered.  It turned out they wern't which was very disapointing. So I started over by purchasing the first twelve billets again from the Lumberyard.  This time I cut out each frame pattern and folded it in half so the port and starboard parts of the frames were positioned over each perfectly to determine the true center of the frame.  Guess what, most of the centers as drawn were off by and least a millimeter and usually more. So when I put the frames together again I used the true center as a guide.  This seemed to get the frames more in line the second time around.  

Neeedless to say, this took more time than writing about it, plus time off for a trip south to get out of the zeor temps for a while has caused this delay.  I'm now ready to start the sanding process which will ultimately tell me if these pieces of wood will look like a ship as shown on the Lumberyard web page. Thanks for the replies and comments.

sonar bob

Hi Bob,

I seriously suggest you open a build log.  Not only will it be a great way to get help, you'll leave a legacy for anyone else who builds this. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: