Hi.

I have purchased from a UK company some drill bits of various sizes.

This morning I went to use a 1.1mm drill bit on annealed brass.

I did not check the bit as it was new out of its container.

Put it in the drill and rubbish. Thought no more of it and replaced it with another new one.

Same not cutting at all. Just skidding.

I had a look under a X400 microscope.

There was no tip. Had been ground but totally wrong.

Checked all the drill bits one by one and all were sharpened differently. Only one had a correct edge :(

Contacted the company and talked to custamer services and just not interested telling me it's me. LOL.

Being a Toolmaker and engineer most of my life I know what's right and wrong.

They did not even want me to return the bits... And no replacement or refund.

No I am not going to name the company but I have made a complant to trading standards UK.

So... Buying drill bits beware.

Regards Antony.

.... I feel better already for voicing it :)

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

I've also had that problem on drills in the US.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Antony,

I have also noted a decrease in quality of drill bits over the last couple of years. I buy mine in packets of 10. A recent packet of 0.5mm bits all had the tips ground looking like a ridged roof. I have also had bits where the tip has been ground off centre which result in over size holes.

I put it down to the "economic climate" where rejects that would once not get through are now being fobbed off on model makers.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

I think we can all appreciate the problem you are having with the company that supplied those drills. Most retail stores here in the US have a standing policy that they will refund or replace items that are not satisfactory or defective. It may even be a law here.

About two minutes after I read your post, Anthony, I had a telephone call from Floyd Warner in Utah. He apologized that he could not fill my order of wooden blocks right away because he ran out of the 4mm double blocks that are part of the order and needs to make some more.

My point is that here is a guy that really appreciates his customers and tries his best to satisfy them. Do you think I will order more blocks from him in the future? Besides his blocks are much better than those square monsters that come in most kits, etc.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Just for the heck of it, I happen to brake a drill (some day in the past) but continued drilling holes in wood with the stub that was still there. The holes were ok for what I wanted. But . . .

I would not do this drilling any kind of metal. That is when a sharp drill (and a bit of lube) is necessary.

PS. have you ever 'drilled' a hole in wood and have that turn into a black smoke? Especially with a high speed like tool?

It is probably because of the same problems Anthony had.

Buy cheap, work cheap.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

The website WackoWolf is talking about is https://www.drillbitcity.com/ .

He mentioned this elsewhere on this site and I bought some bits from them and they are worth it and I will do business with them again.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I think the problem that Anthony has highlighted is a UK supply issue. I have had defective bits from several outlets over the last couple of years. This included boxed sets and packets of same size small bits. I suspect they all came from the same source. I don't know about Anthony's supplier but the bits that I bought were certainly not cheap.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

I generally don't buy cheap drill bits or even sets for that matter unless they are on special offer. In the past I've bought the sizes I needed at the time and from reputable suppliers, normally companies like Buck and Hickman. Surprisingly to many maybe, but it's normally cheaper to buy from a local engineering supply house if you have one than from a DIY store. The one notable exception I made was many years ago when I took the chance on a cheap set of number drills at a very good price at a model engineering show. They turned out to be made in India but I've not had any quality issues with them at all and still use them now. Having said all that I do keep a "rough" set of drills for non critical work!

Hi..

Today I had a delivery of new drill bits. And a letter stating that there was a mix up with me and custamer services.. LOL.

ALL the drill bits were excellent and had a good tip.

Thats a good outcome as far as I am concerned.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Q thanks for the link for the small bit Sharpening Jig, that is a good one.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About 20 years ago a tool jobber came into our shop and handed these out as free samples. They have been in my tool box all this time and I am finally getting some use out of them.

20171001_202556.jpg

20171001_202623.jpg