Dan Vad

BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BUILD LOG - PLEASE READ THIS - Starting and Naming your Build Log

64 posts in this topic

PLEASE NOTE.....Build logs are to be light hearted places for members to discuss the building of their model. It is NOT the place for senseless chatter and conversation. Please DO NOT post nonsense in another persons log. They might be nice and not say anything to you but that doesnt mean you can hi-jack their build logs. It makes reading through the logs a horrible experience for 99% of our members. KEEP THE NONSENSE CHATTER AND SNARKY HUMOR OUT OF THE LOGS AND KEEP THEM ON TOPIC....all people who dont comply will be warned...and all non relevant content will be deleted.

This area is intended for your build logs of any KITS you are working on, whether they are Wood, Plastic, Card, or RC kits. This is the place where you can document your step-by-step progress. Post images of your work and share your techniques and ideas with your fellow Model Ship World members. Do not post only photos of your completed model. Those should go into our "COMPLETED" model gallery where you should set up an album.

How to set up your log?

Create a new topic in "Build Logs for Ship Model Kits" for each individual kit you are working on. As you make more progress on it, reply within that topic to post updates on it.
Please keep all such posts on topic with regard to the kit log you are working on.

How to Name your build log?

We have a new "Build Log Naming Convention" to enable the Search Engine to sort them Alphabetically by "Ship's Name" and/or "Builder's Name". This will replace the "Build Log Indexes" from the old Site.

We urge you to follow the guidelines below to make this work properly. If you don't, a Moderator will do it for you anyway - so you may as well get it right first time and save us the trouble.

(EDIT - I've already re-Titled those that were posted before I put this message up. If you are Pasting a Saved Build Log - lucky you :D - and need to Re-Title it you have to use the "Full Editor" in the Edit Box of the first post.)

This is how your Build Log Title must be set up for Static Wooden Ship Kits :

HMS Victory by Fred Bloggs - Caldercraft - Scale 1:75 - 1805 as she appeared after Trafalger - First wooden ship build

The first section in RED is MANDATORY and must be done EXACTLY as shown to enable correct Sorting by the Search facility. Use your Username exactly as it is registered.  Note there are SPACES either side of the dash following your Username. 

DO NOT Re-Title your build log if it has been done by a Moderator!

The second section in BLUE is the Kit Manufacturer and is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to be added so others building the same Kit can find it more easily.

The third section in GREEN is OPTIONAL - you may add any further information you like. There is a much larger Character Limit than previously - 150 characters compared to the old one of about 40.

NOTE - DO NOT add "Static" to the start of the Title - the only models that AREN'T Static are Radio Controlled and have their own way of showing it (see below). You also DO NOT need to add the word "Wood" to a build log title - most of the models here are wood and it's more or less the default medium. Only NON-WOOD media should be identified.

(Note that the colors above are only for this demonstration - you can't Format a Title like you can with other Text)

For Plastic, Card and Radio Controlled Kits the following (in PURPLE) will need to be added :

USS New Jersey by giblets - Tamiya - PLASTIC - Superdetailed with PE

HMAS Sydney by ship ahoy - LMS Models - 1: 100 - CARD 

Vosper PT Boat by whereami - Hasegawa - RADIO - A nice kit to build

Notice these tags are added AFTER the kit manufacturer and scale. Please notice that HYPHENS are pretty much the only punctuation necessary for a build log title. If you are including the YEAR in which your ship was launched, that should go directly after the NAME of the vessel and before the username, e.g. HMC Sherbourne 1763 by wingnut.

Instructions on how to use the Search to find a Build Log list of the Ship you are looking for will be posted shortly.

That's right Mark, and it's good to see that they do.

Take care,

Anja

Burroak likes this

Indeed, it is good to see this is going in the right direction.

I am curious (concerned???) about one thing. In order to add more details to a post I notice that some will add their own 'reply' with more pictures. That becomes confusing.

Another thing is that my profile or signature are too large and bold. I will have to change that. 

Done a few minutes ago. Nice addition to the edit option.

But Dan, I realize you guys have more on your plate right now than to worry about such details. Keep up the good work and chin up high.  :) 

Burroak likes this

I would like to say that I like the new format guys but it's going to take some getting used to, tough about the loss of data but thats life, we'll have fun putting it all back on.

Well done guys.

Mobbsie

Burroak likes this

Indeed, it is good to see this is going in the right direction.

I am curious (concerned???) about one thing. In order to add more details to a post I notice that some will add their own 'reply' with more pictures. That becomes confusing.

Another thing is that my profile or signature are too large and bold. I will have to change that. 

Done a few minutes ago. Nice addition to the edit option.

But Dan, I realize you guys have more on your plate right now than to worry about such details. Keep up the good work and chin up high.  :) 

Steve,

I'm not sure I understand about the adding more details... you can either edit an existing post or reply the thread and add new text and new photos.   Generally, that's the way it's been done.  As you add more "stuff" to build, you hit reply.

Burroak likes this

Good to see the most of the people try to Repost, and at the end, i'm very sure the this site will be even Better than before.

Thanks to all that try to make this site, again, the best of this type

I'll repost very quickly almost everything i've done, even the text is lost

All the best to all

Cristi

I Have a question i have put my log back on here with lots of photos but i notice they are all on one page,i was under the impression that the page numbers where auotomatic,which seems to be not the case

DEREK S

Yep I have bee wondering when my page number will change. I have a boat load of photos (sorry) on one page, but note that some logs are up to page 3 . David

Derek and Sid,

This is because you can now post a lot more than 5 pics per post - it's limited to 2Mb per post, so if your Pics are a small Filesize you get a lot more in.

Also, there are now 15 Posts per Page instead of 10. Once you have 16 posts page 2 will come up.

BTW - some of the posts are getting "Off Topic" - can you please ask any other questions in the right Topic (or start a new one in "Site Problems and Suggestions") if you need answers to anything else.

Danny

A big THANK YOU to all those members who READ THE INSTRUCTIONS in the first Post before (or after) submitting their Build Logs and Naming them correctly :) .

One problem quite a few of you have had is omitting the SPACE between words or punctuation marks - this will result in a Search of your ship or Username not coming up correctly. Please pay attention to that. I've corrected all the ones that needed it.

Danny

A word of advice of my own...upload photo's as normal but write your log in another word processing program (like Word or Text Editor) and cut and paste it into the forum's editor when you're done...this will save you a ton of extra work in the event that you lose connectivity mid-post or experience a page expire/timeout. Also you'll have a record of your work in the event there's ever an issue with the site.

JRB9019, Ray, Dan Vad and 5 others like this

Hi Danny,

could you please correct my log name - Royal Caroline by marsalv - Panart - bold font. Thank you very much.

marsalv

The bold font only appears on threads with new comments.  If there's no new comments, the font is un-bolded. 

aspesBels and Dan Vad like this

Hi Danny,

could you please correct my log name - Royal Caroline by marsalv - Panart - bold font. Thank you very much.

marsalv

The bold font only appears on threads with new comments.  If there's no new comments, the font is un-bolded. 

Thank you for explanation.

marsalv

Hello I have a question, my ship Friesland Dutch two decker disappeared from the site in kit build.Please help, what to do next.....

Bruno,

The only option is for you to repost as little or as much as you want to bring everyone up to date. I hope you've seen the posts relating to the "Great Crash".

Ahoy Bruno,

If you have not started a new log "Google" your old log. Google saves everything. If you can find it click the double arrows  >> that will display on the right when you first mouse over the link. Some if not all of your old "deleted" log should come up. Mine did. It is less the pics. I guess Google does not save those.

I found this tip here on MSW after I redid my log. Thanks should go to that person whom I apoligize to for forgetting his name.

I tried this Pett, but got nothing of my old build log. Probably covered by new version.

Ahoy Dida :D

It is there :P

Add words to your search you know are only in the old log. I just found this from my old log today dated August 26 2012. When it came up and I moused over the arrows "no preview" was displayed. I clicked on the word CACHE in what did come up.

It is a comment Mark made regarding a tool I made

post-108-0-56219500-1362240608.jpg

I would like to recommend MarkF's suggestion of 2/18/13 as being an extremely beneficial way to post, expecially long, involved posts.  I just reposted my build log MS Glad Tidings-Pinky Schooner, which even in its ultracondensed condition involved a lot of pictures and commentary regarding the build.  I was able to note the pictures I was going to post then wrote the comments regarding the photos in WORD at my leisure.  I then started a new topic in the Kit Build Log Forum, added the pictures to the post then returned to WORD.  In WORD I copied the comments regarding the picture then pasted the comments in in my new topic post then went to the corresponding photo and clicked to add it to the post option.  I just needed to make sure the cursor was at the end of the comments to insure the photo was located properly.  This worked out well and I want to thank MarkF for the suggestion.

Thanks very much for the information on this post...a big thanks to all of you. I learned something and this is always good. Everyone have a great day of shipbuilding.

I want to start a build log, but cant find where to press the right buttons..... HELP!!!!!!

JIMMY from Brissie in Ozzie

Ahoy Jimmy :D

Starting from the main screen (click "Model Ship World 2.0" in the upper left)

Then select and click on the appropriate category ( Example "Kit Builds in Progress")

In the upper right under "Search" and "Follow this forum" is "Start new Topic". Click on that.

Click meaning left click on your mouse.

Go to town and have fun.

Hello, does anyone know how to put words directly under a photo after the photo is uploaded. Thanks!

I would like to start a build log but I don't know where to start.  I've read the instructions on the naming conventions but where to I create the log.  I've resized all the photos to 1200 x 1600 using FastStone.

Ralph

Hello again Ralph, what is your build ? Kit or Scratch ?

Anyway if its ; 

Kit Build  --> http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/10-kit-build-logs-in-progress/

Scratch Build --> http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/11-scratch-build-logs-in-progress/

Click on the "Start New Topic" button on the right-hand side above the Index.

Hope I helped a bit. Waiting to see your build,

Bugra.

Ralph,

Go to the log area (Kit or Scratch) and at the upper right hand side is "Start New Topic".  Click it.  Give your log a title and you are  on your way.

WackoWolf likes this

I started a new built thread here yesterday, but I can't add more pictures to it today.  The title is :1/96 scale Revell plastic model kit English man'o war.  Can anyone help me fix this.