Dan Vad

BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BUILD LOG - PLEASE READ THIS - Starting and Naming your Build Log

64 posts in this topic

Niels,

Are trying to add pictures to an existing post or to a new post?   Try going to the bottom of the page to "reply to this topic" and hit "more reply option" and go from there.   There's a limit of 10 pictures to each post and the way the logs work is for you to add replys as needed to add new pictures, steips, etc.

I am trying to copy my old Montanes build log from Word 2013, and I can't seem to paste the text that I just copied.  What am I doing wrong?  I highlight the text, Ctrl + C and then Ctrl + V on the Reply to This Post, and nothing happens.

Sir Charles,

Check your IE version.  If it's 11, roll it back to 10.  Seems that 11 has some "issues".

Oh, I am using IE 11, thank you for the reply.  I hate to rollback to IE 10, but have done so occasionally.

Okay another problem just came up.  All my posts on the Montanes build log before tonight displayed the uploaded pictures in the order that I uploaded them.  Tonight the two posts I did displays the photos in reverse order.  What setting do I need to check to fix this?  I really hate thinking backwards when I am uploading pictures.

Yes, Wayne answered my Montanes build log question, funny thing is I started clicking that button when I first started to repost that build log, and then for some reason I stopped, but the pictures loaded the correct way, then suddenly they were reversed order.  Now I understand and won't miss that button.

Thank you much.

mtaylor likes this

Hi,

I wish to change (i.e. add to) the heading for a build log I have just started on the Derfflinger. How do I do that ?

Pete

Go to the very first post.  Hit "edit". Then hit " Use Full Editor".   :)

So where do I go exactly to start a new build log???

Right here in this forum.  Just go to the main index of the sub-forum where you see all the build logs listed, and click on the "Start New Topic" button.  Name it according to the guidelines in this thread, type up your post and add whatever photo's you want, click post, and your build log is started.

Enjoy!

Hi,How can I add pages to my build log?I seen it  in some of the post  now just cant find it.

Thanks,Zoltan

Zoltan, you can't add PAGES - that's done automatically after there are 20 Posts on a Page.

If you are asking how to add another Post to your Build Log, use the Reply window at the bottom of the page. This adds a new post after the ones you have already made.

:cheers:  Danny

Giving this topic another bump.  Please read the posting rules (on page one of this thread) before starting your build log!  Staff have been having to edit a large number of build log titles recently.

Thank you!!

Chuck, Canute and mtaylor like this

I started a build log but neglected to add the scale. Is there a way I can edit the title?

Thanks

Corey

I started a build log but neglected to add the scale. Is there a way I can edit the title?

Thanks

Corey

Yep, just edit your original (1st) post, once it is in 'edit' mode, at the bottom click on "Use Full Editor".  In the full editor the top is open for editing as well as the body of the subject.

mtaylor and Dan Vad like this

I'm making another heartfelt plea for folks to PLEASE read the guidelines for titling your build log.  I had to edit at least three titles during my current log-in session - two of those were not even close to being in standard format and were both written by veteran forum members. This keeps happening in spite of friendly reminders from staff. Our cries for voluntary compliance seem to be falling on deaf ears!  Perhaps going back to adding "TITLE EDITED BY MODERATOR" would highlight the issue??  Please help us with this, people!

Canute and mtaylor like this

I'm a relatively new member, and I'm half way through a kit build. Am i permitted to start a build log for this model?

Walt

mtaylor and Canute like this

I'm a relatively new member, and I'm half way through a kit build. Am i permitted to start a build log for this model?

Walt

Yes, by all means Walt. Welcome aboard.

:cheers:  Danny

Canute and mtaylor like this

I have put off giving this topic another bump, since I just bumped it in January, but it needs it. Again. Sadly. Guys, c'mon! Read the build log naming guidelines! It is no exaggeration to say that I am editing one or two of these just about every day. Doesn't sound like much, but that's 30-60 titles every month. That's 30-60 builders who can't figure out how to name a build log, or else just don't care that they're doing things their own way (I really hope it's not the latter). Help us out! Throw us a bone! You can read a rigging diagram, so for certain you can follow naming conventions, right? Right!!

Captain Slog, Canute, Mumin and 3 others like this

When adding the name of your kit's manufacturer, please refrain from using abbreviations. We old-timers know who AL, MS, and CC are, but newcomers may not.

Thank you!

Canute, mtaylor and Denis Pink like this

UPDATED  TITLE GUIDELINES plus The Many Pitfalls of Build Log Titling :)

As stated in the title of this post, the guidelines for titling build logs have been updated. See Post #1 in this thread for the latest format (not significantly different from the previous format, just fine-tuned). Please be diligent about using the correct format! The functionality of our search feature depends on it.

As I stated in another thread, I recently combed through all the build logs in the Kit Build Logs section. I edited a large number of build log titles. Some of them were verrrrrrry close to being in the correct format, but not quite. I don't mind fixing those -- I appreciate that a good effort was made by the author. Other titles were correct according to the previous format; I have updated those to the new format. Again, no problem. The only ones that truly bug me are the ones where it doesn't appear that the author made any attempt to either read or follow the titling guidelines.

Here are a few things I saw in titles that need a little bit of tweaking (listed in no particular order):

1) Please don't use abbreviations for names of kit manufacturers, e.g. AL, MS, etc. Spell the name of the company out. Remember, our search function can't search character strings of three letters or less.

2) If you know the year your modeling subject was launched, the usual convention is to place the year right after the name, e.g. HMS Prince 1670. Don't put the year way down at the end of the title.

3) Make sure you get the name of the kit manufacturer correct. OcCre, for example, does have a capital C in the middle -- it's short for Ocio Creativo. There's two companies in particular that cause some confusion because they are wholly owned subsidiaries. One, Victory Models, is a subsidiary of Amati -- their models should be identified as Victory Models products. The other is Caldercraft -- their parent company is JoTiKa. JoTiKa, however, carries many product lines other than Caldercraft, so if it says Caldercraft (or Nelson's Navy), it should be listed as a Caldercraft model.

4) The only punctuation you really need is hyphens. Periods, parentheses, etc. just make the title look cluttered. So remember, it's name of model and username (hyphen) manufacturer (hyphen) scale (hyphen) miscellaneous details. Like this:

HMS Scallywag 1750 by billyruffian - Moldy Models - 1/1200 - an adventure in miniature

5) You need to ALWAYS identify yourself in your build log title by your username. Spell and punctuate your username EXACTLY as it is registered.

If I remember anything else, I'll add it to this list, but for now I'm being chased away from my computer.

Cheers!

UPDATE: Since I made this post three days ago, two new kit build logs were started and NEITHER of them did the title correctly! Please read the directions!

mtaylor, Chuck, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

Time to bump this topic again, Please read post #1 to brush up on build log naming conventions! Thank you!

mtaylor and Canute like this