Marking and cutting of planks

Working with lime planks that are 1.5mm thick an maximum approx 5mm wide, I find it very hard to accurately mark out the shape and then cut then (this is the first layer). They are far too small to saw and I find that a craft knive tends to go offline and follow the grain, no matter how careful I am. Any hints? Thanks

I have experienced the same problem when trying to complete the cut in only a few passes. So I started to first score the cut line with a point from a divider using a number of light passes. This creates an indentation that helps guide an number 11 blade. Then I will cut using multiple light slicing cuts. I also change blades often. I buy them in packs of 100.

I have gotten a little better with the knife so for most cuts have progressed to using multip light slicing cuts withou the scoring.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

You will find that the point of your knife will wander less working in one direction that the other, depending on the grain pattern. Go in the direction that works. Also, a really, really sharp blade, light pressure and several passes work better than trying to cut through in one.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I've found that the best approach for me is to cut within about 1-2 mm of the line, then use a riffler to bring it down to the line (using a small vise to hold the plank also helps here).  If my blade wanders, I still have room to the line.

A sanding stick can work also, but I like the crisp edge we get by using a file.  Takes a little patience, but the results are good. 

Frank

I use a Mini Plane,also known as a Balsa Plane. Having marked the line it is then easy to plane down to the line and also to bevel the plank if necessary. These planes should be available from good hobby shops, mine is about 3" or 75mm long and comes with a razor blade making it easy to replace the blade when necessary.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

I would agree with Richard, several light cuts do the job.  Hold a steel rule firmly on the work and lightly score the first cut while pressing the blade firmly against the steel rule.  Once that score is made the later cuts tend to follow but if you find you have wandered off the line you can press back against the rule to take off the remaining piece.  The other methods do work as well, i.e a small plane; a razor saw (depending on length of cut) or cutting away from the line and sanding down.

Good luck....lots of practice will find you a way that you are comfortable with.

Regards,

Mick

For cutting shapes on the long axis, I would mark exactly the shape I needed with a pencil, then carve or whittle the plank with a very sharp razor knife until almost to the pencil lines, then sand the rest off down to the line.