USF Confederacy by Rustyj - FINISHED

Congrats Rusty, your Confederacy is a very beautyful model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Popeye, Guillermo, Augie, Michael, Jeff, B.E., Greg, Christian. Thank you all for your continued

support and assistance. It is appreciated more than you know.

Jeff, with the great job you are doing on the Constitution I know you will build a wonderful Confederacy.

Guillermo, Thanks. As with all builds I always look back and say oh I could have done a better

job on this or that. But I think there is some of that in all of us. The only real change I would do

is to not use Ebony. It might look good but it’s a bugger to work with and real messy.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Again Rusty, thanks for reposting your most excellent build of Confederacy.

It was a great trip watching you build her again.

I just hope mine won't look like a garbage scow next to yours.

Ben

Edited by Trussben

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all sorry I missed your posts. With so much going on they slipped by. :huh:

Sinan, Next ones are! Triton Cross section, Echo Cross Section and Bomb

Vessel Granado Cross Section. All in various stages.

Hi Bill and thank you.

Guillermo, I think the black dye will be the next method I will try.

Thanks Daniel. They are really nice woods to work with.

Much appreciated Ed.

Ben, If you think your job is a garbage scow you are sadly mistaken my friend!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 6 months later...

Truly inspiring Rusty, I can see a Confederacy in my future, thanks for the log

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

• 8 months later...

Rusty,  I just read your Confederacy log. What a fantastic build, really enjoyed all those super pictures! Just started my

confederacy kit and will refer to your work often. Thanks so much for sharing.    Chizelguy    Pete

My favorite build of all time. A truly magnificent job Rusty.

Now I'm enjoying your Winnie build. I will certainly have to purchase that kit once it becomes available. At my age, It may become my first kit project and my last major build.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Harley, chizelguy and Dave,

Thanks for stopping by and dusting off this old log. It brought some great memories. :)  

Anyone who is going to build her won't be disappointed.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 year later...

Thank you Vic. She was a lot of fun to build and it looks like you're having a great time with your build too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 5 months later...

Hi Rustyj

Been following your lovely build or Confederacy,i have this kit (future) i wondered if you could explain how you

fix these very small strips of wood that run above the length of the wales after you have painted and sealed the wood.

Regards   Janet B

Thank you for the kind words Janet.

The moldings and other pieces were attached with a thin coat of CA glue.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much Philippe. She was a fun model to build.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 4 years later...

Congratulations Rusty on your USF Confederacy taking the People's Choice first place award in the Sail Category at the Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and Show yesterday.  There were a lot of top notch models in that category, but yours was definitely the best and the voters got it right.  It is a beautiful model. I also enjoyed seeing you again.  If you get a chance, please post a picture of your award.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Ryland.

Thank you for the shout out.

There were so many wonderful models there and it is very humbling to receive that honor.

As always, it's a pleasure to see you and everyone else in person as opposed to zoom visits.

I'm already looking forward to next year!

DSC00590.thumb.JPG.8e45c4a2c082c713a4e12929a85f8745.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Congratulations Rusty!  The Confederacy was an early introduction for me on what a great model was supposed to look like. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you very much Joe and Glenn. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Congratulations!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Congratulations, Rusty. That is very well deserved.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the kind words, Dave, GrandpaPhil and Mark and also the likes. Very much appreciated! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)