Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Great to see the start of the keel 'laid' Mark B) I have actually downloaded the NRG article on Hahn's build of this vessel so I have a better understanding as I follow along ;) Many,many thanks to Chuck for his hard work that has made that possible.She is a very fine looking vessel B)

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Mark, I read that as you have gotten so good that there will be no reason for do overs....therefore no need to worry.....and by the way..don't deny it..you are good! Enjoy the build Bro' great start.....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Nigel -- I agree that she is lovely ship with some great lines.

John -- I am but an apprentice and still learning what I can and can't do.  And what my tools can do and can't do.  However, I have aspirations. :)

Sam -- we used say:  "there's never time to do right the first time, but always time to do it again".  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah, but of course....have fun

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

Mark,

Do-overs are just another way that this hobby provides value for money. Twice the enjoyment of making each part (at least). :)

your just getting more comfortable with it Mark........a keener eye,  makes sawdust fly!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice to see you on the road again!

Three cheers, Daniel

Wild cat prowls around prey, and just about to jump ... ;)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Wild cat is still ...

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Wild cats and all... Willy in the background playing "On the Road Again".   Anyway, here's an update.

Keel is ready....  keelson is being re-used.  It's cherry and will be hidden so why re-invent the wheel.

post-76-0-87751800-1393568718_thumb.jpg

The stem is just about there.  I'm sorting out a way to make the caulking/felt lines better.  There seems to be something (not sure how it happens) that when there's a very tight fit, the glue line disappears.  A good thing?  Or an aggrevation?  The stem still needs some mill work for the gammoning holes and two (I think) through holes for the bobstays.  The plans aren't clear on this and pictures from the article and the CD aren't clear in this area.  Also trying to sort out the taper on this, if any.

post-76-0-42449300-1393568720_thumb.jpg

I'm currently redoing the sternpost in boxwood.  The picture shows the Version 1.0 sternpost and rudder that were never put on the old ship.  I'm thinking about the rudder given the wood contrasts based on the test, I'm trying visualize if I should re-do it boxwood or not.

post-76-0-17546100-1393568722_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Moving right along there Mark, looking good.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looking very nice Mark. As far as the rudder if you do it in Boxwood it will match with the post, but you are the Boss do what looks good for you. Remember you seeing everything real time, so you are getting a better pictures of what things look like. You will make the right choice, I am sure.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Mark If you whish to show the glue line have yoy experimentws with a little ink or stain with the glue?

David B

Wild cat jumped ... and ...

PS

watching and learning very carefully

with popcorns 

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Mark, I found that to get a uniform glue line, especially in curved fayed pieces,that the fit has to be almost perfect and the clamping pressure moderate. At best it will be a fine line. More pigment in theglue may help. Be sure to coat the edges liberally with glue so it squeezes out all along the line when clamped. The alternative if you want a very pronounced uiform line is,s you porbably know, to use paper at the expense of joint strength. I am told that black tissue absorbs glue and adds strength, but I have not tried it. The latex paint that I use on planking would be a bit messy and time consuming on all these structural parts and it also leaves a weak joint. Copper wire bolts with epoxy can overcome the joint strength problems if you go the paper/paint route. Its always a journey.

Ed

Hi Mark -

Coming along nicely, as everyone says.  v.2 will be a significant upgrade from v.1.  Then again, I'll be looking forward to v.3 . . v.4 . . v.5 . . :-))

As for the glue line, I don't think that you have to worry overmuch.  The human eye will fill in any missing sections when viewing the completed model.  The stem looks good as it is.  Your technique is working well.

One suggestion, derived from hard experience, is not to drill the bobstay holes yet.  Just pencil them in for now.  Their location will be determined by the final length of the bowsprit, the exact location of the collars, and the type and thickness of your ropes.  I have had to plug and relocate the hole for the inner bobstay when the stay fouled the stem and figurehead.  Now I wait till I am doing the rigging to drill the holes. Of course, if you are not planning on rigging her, then drill them where they look good and ignore this stray thought.

Be well.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

good to see some wood being jostled into position.........well on your way now!!! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice looking stem, Mark.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for looking in, the comments and the "likes".  The Thurston saw blades came in and so far, the testing looks great.  I'm not seeing the scoring on the cut like the MM blades. 

Looking very nice Mark. As far as the rudder if you do it in Boxwood it will match with the post, but you are the Boss do what looks good for you. Remember you seeing everything real time, so you are getting a better pictures of what things look like. You will make the right choice, I am sure.

I slept on it and dug out a bit of boxwood.  I'm going to replace it.  ;)

Mark If you whish to show the glue line have yoy experimentws with a little ink or stain with the glue?

David B

Dave,

I'm trying EdT's method of pigment.  Here's my test post: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/5339-licorne-by-mtaylor-pof-316-french-frigate-hahn-version-20/?p=164373

Wild cat jumped ... and ...

PS

watching and learning very carefully

with popcorns 

The cat has landed....  :)   Enjoy the popcorn.  We have plenty and this will be a long journey.

Mark, I found that to get a uniform glue line, especially in curved fayed pieces,that the fit has to be almost perfect and the clamping pressure moderate. At best it will be a fine line. More pigment in theglue may help. Be sure to coat the edges liberally with glue so it squeezes out all along the line when clamped. The alternative if you want a very pronounced uiform line is,s you porbably know, to use paper at the expense of joint strength. I am told that black tissue absorbs glue and adds strength, but I have not tried it. The latex paint that I use on planking would be a bit messy and time consuming on all these structural parts and it also leaves a weak joint. Copper wire bolts with epoxy can overcome the joint strength problems if you go the paper/paint route. Its always a journey.

Ed

Thanks Ed.  I also thought about a bit of the "v" groove between joints...  I don't like the paper idea due to the strength issues, but I'll do some testing.   I think more pigment, when I get to the planking, might be good.  I'll be testing this also during the framing.  Why waste a good pot of glue?

Hi Mark -

Coming along nicely, as everyone says.  v.2 will be a significant upgrade from v.1.  Then again, I'll be looking forward to v.3 . . v.4 . . v.5 . . :-))

As for the glue line, I don't think that you have to worry overmuch.  The human eye will fill in any missing sections when viewing the completed model.  The stem looks good as it is.  Your technique is working well.

One suggestion, derived from hard experience, is not to drill the bobstay holes yet.  Just pencil them in for now.  Their location will be determined by the final length of the bowsprit, the exact location of the collars, and the type and thickness of your ropes.  I have had to plug and relocate the hole for the inner bobstay when the stay fouled the stem and figurehead.  Now I wait till I am doing the rigging to drill the holes. Of course, if you are not planning on rigging her, then drill them where they look good and ignore this stray thought.

Be well.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I think  you're right on the glue lines... the stem gets overshadowed by the rigging and all the headwork.  I think I'll follow your advise on the bobstay holes.  There's a unicorn that needs to fit in there...  yikes!  The gammoning hole would be close to put them in now, but waiting is probably a good idea.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'm not going to offer you any words of wisdom Mark, I know diddly squit of what you are doing.

All I am going to say is that I know what I like and I like what I see.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the "likes"...

Sam,

I'm happy with the way this is going.  Really happy.  :)

Mobbsie,

I was hoping for some wise words... but I'm glad you like what you see. 

Update time,  yippee!!!

The backbone is complete.  (Almost.. forgot to finish trim the keel at the stern according to the picture).  The stem has been appropriately (I think) tapered and now attached to the keel.   The deadwood was made from the cherry since I didn't have any boxwood thin enough and attached along with the sternpost.   And, an rudder blank has been made. 

I discovered that misinterpreted the plans on V 1.0 for the stern deadwood and the sternpost.  The deadwood on V 2.0 isn't tapered but the sternpost and keel need to be.  It appears that the best way will be after planking when the planks, keel and sternpost can all be done at once.  Or least that's the way it appears in the Hahn photos.... 

I can now go wander off and fiddle with cleaning up the salvage parts, maybe make some bits and pieces, etc. while waiting for my framing wood to show up. 

post-76-0-69449200-1394136161_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-58676400-1394136163_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-13893500-1394136165_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice start, Mark.  Please get that keel trimmed ---  it throws everything off :)

Your framing comes in April?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice start, Mark.  Please get that keel trimmed ---  it throws everything off :)

Your framing comes in April?

I'll trim in a bit... :)   As for April... yep.  :(   But my fault.  I should have sorted this out last fall instead of waiting to start over.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looks good Mark, glad to see progress, glad you're happier with all of this...

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS: