Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Mark - feel your pain but commend the redo, although the original really does look good.  Licorne is really looking rather grand.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

She is looking grand Mark B)  B)  B)  B)  B) The rudder is just a minor setback,I have the utmost respect for you for going ahead and reworking it.It makes me think,back in the day before internet forums,you just used to see pics of completed models in books and magazines and the reader assumed wrongly that everything went smoothly with the build.I wonder how many were discouraged when their efforts didn't meet muster the first time around?

I now view a project as just that,to build a model of 'X',whatever has to find it's way in the scrap bin between start and completion is immaterial ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for following this journey, the likes and the comments.

A brave decision, a bold decision but a wise decision.  Your redo will be perfect, making the model perfect.  Most, if not all of us had to go through a redo or two or more and those who haven't experienced it yet, will.

Cheers,

Piet,

I find that making that decision to re-do is getting easier and easier.  It's almost scary how easy it is to say "yup.. not good" and rip it out.

Mark,

I am late to your party but request permission to come aboard. I've been through the thread from start to present and it reads like a text book. Thank your for your thorough documentation. I can see many lessons that are going to be valuable to me.

Respectfully,

John Maguire

Welcome aboard, John.  No permission needed.  Somewhere in this mess is a popcorn machine from Sjors and some cold adult beverages. :D

This truly is a learning build.  I thought Version 1.0 was the learning version.. not so.  It taught me some things but this one is teaching me more.  If someone at some point down the road picks up on one of my mistakes and then does not make that same mistake, this log will have been worth it.

She is looking grand Mark B)  B)  B)  B)  B) The rudder is just a minor setback,I have the utmost respect for you for going ahead and reworking it.It makes me think,back in the day before internet forums,you just used to see pics of completed models in books and magazines and the reader assumed wrongly that everything went smoothly with the build.I wonder how many were discouraged when their efforts didn't meet muster the first time around?

I now view a project as just that,to build a model of 'X',whatever has to find it's way in the scrap bin between start and completion is immaterial ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

I daresay you are correct.   The books never discussed the "scrap bin" or why it got full.

Well, the fun continues.  The wood has been milled to thickness and I'm cutting the 3 parts for the rudder and fitting them.  Pictures when I get something to show.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Small update in the overall scheme of things.

The new rudder is ready for the metal work and some additional holes.  For example the two tiller holes are drilled but need squaring up with some file work and a couple of small holes for the eyebolts/ringbolts need drilling   All things considered and compared to the elder brother rudder, I'm happy with this.  There is one minor defect that will be hidden by the rudder coat.  And no, i"m not going to forget this bit.....

The opening for the pintles is shaped now like the French ones and not like the English properly. I also used boxwood from three different sheets/scraps in order to have some variation between the three slabs of wood.

Edit:  Actually... I'm wrong.  Both the English and the French did that same way.  The square openings are the way many kits do them.   I have much to unlearn... as well as learn.

For the metal work, I'm going with smaller diameter pintles and cudgoens than on the first version. the irons (straps), I'll make from the same material as before.   Also, I'm considering right now eliminating the bolts holding the irons to the rudder and hull because even though the I'm using are the tiniest I can find, as this scale they are still too large.  i believe if my measurements and eyes are to be believed they work out to having the heads 3" in diameter and standing proud at out 1.5".

I'll be using epoxy for securing the metal to the wood, although I need to test first and make sure that it will hold.

post-76-0-54869100-1459627400_thumb.jpg  post-76-0-57208100-1459627407_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-60005300-1459627416_thumb.jpg  post-76-0-70114500-1459627425_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Actually... I'm wrong.  Both the English and the French did that same way.  The square openings are the way many kits do them.   I have much to unlearn... as well as learn.

I edited my previous post to reflect my error.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

No error Mark, just a 'clarification' :)

Well, after all this I think you have graduated from Jedi Master to 'redo Master' -  may the 'wood' be with you!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Again great work on the rudder Mark. I'm amazed how much details there are in a rudder!

Goodonyamate

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

The new rudder looks exceptionally good.  re the bolts, Remco demonstrated a few months ago how he simulated bolts from brass rod by using the bur as the head after roll-cutting the rod.  I used very thin brass plated sewing pins that I filed down a little.  However, they wont be missed by omitting them.  

Yup, I feel the same way on the redo's, have no qualm in doing it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

super redo on the rudder.  hope the rest goes smoothly  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the comments and the "likes"...

Here's the rudder ready to hang.   Once the cudgeons are on the hull, I'll add the rudder coat and mount it.  I'll probably pin it to the sternpost from the inside of the hull just to keep it in place as I'll be flipping the hull over a few more times before cutting it loose and mounting it to a cradle.

I made a judgement call after testing on some scrap about the bolts.  Not going to happen.  If the bolts are visible, they're oversize by an order of magnitude.  If' they're just the right size, they're invisible.  

I also did some testing to compare Jax Black to Birchwood Casey Black.  Not much difference except maybe the Birchwood Casey is a bit blacker and also seems to cover silver solder better.

Been a busy of testing this stuff.  

Ok.. pictures.....

First piccy shows the old and the new together.  I'm happier with the new and the old is hitting the scrap box.   The second pic has a dummy sternpost next to it.  I've got a big smile on that one.  

post-76-0-77239400-1460248565_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-43817800-1460248572_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

G'day Mark.

Lawrence is absolutely correct of what he said in his entry. Couldn't agree more! If I thought (and I did) that your last rudder was good, this one is outstanding and it's a lesson for us all. Never give up, there's always room to improve.

You're right Mark on your signature line when you said wood is patient, but sadly I'm not!

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

That looks great Mark, a marked improvement (sorry, no pun intended0.  Your testing seems to be paying dividends.  I use Birchwood casey almost exclusively now for th reasons you have given.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

You are right, time to :) :) :) :) :) ... You've managed another feat! And as I predicted no for legged friend's marks on it. It does look oustanding, Mark. You've got the right to be happy and proud, as you have managed to improve on yourself jet again ...  - you wouldn't want to have another go to see if you can out do yourself even more ...(?) - That rudder coat will be a piece of cake... you've got plenty of space to put it in the right spot ...

Looking forward to the next step ... wonderful ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice replacement rudder Mark.

If we learn from the mistakes we make why the hell do we keep making them.

Can you imagine our build rate without these mistakes, I cant.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mark

The new version of the rudder looks a lot better than the first one. Well done!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

It's hard to believe you could make much improvement to your great work, but you did :o!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

rudder looks super Mark.   glad to hear your going to be setting her upright soon.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

lovely rework on the rudder, lol I would love to use all the bits from your scrap box, as everything would be better than what I produce

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I was thinking the same thing Kevin!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Mark,

Yes indeed - super rudder upgrade nicely done!

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks for the likes and the comments.

Still working on the rudder.  One more cudgeon iron and then some wipe on poly since I had to fill holes from the first attempt and I want the epoxy to stick. I'll do some progress pictures at that point.

Nice replacement rudder Mark.

If we learn from the mistakes we make why the hell do we keep making them.

Can you imagine our build rate without these mistakes, I cant.

Be Good

mobbsie

Mobbsie, if any of us ever figures out how not keep making the same mistakes, we could make a fortune.   :D

rudder looks super Mark.   glad to hear your going to be setting her upright soon.   :)

"Soon" is relative, Denis.  I'd really like to get the galleries, some decorations and the head area on the exterior done and also the orlop (berth?) deck and gundeck in first.  <fingers crossed>

lovely rework on the rudder, lol I would love to use all the bits from your scrap box, as everything would be better than what I produce

Nah.. you wouldn't really.  Lots of broken bits of wood, cut-offs.  On the plus side, the scrap makes excellent kindling for the fireplace.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Update....

Rudder temporarily installed (the blue tape keeps it from falling off).  I'll hit the hull with some Wipe-on-Poly and start working on the rudder coat.  

post-76-0-59923700-1460503500_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: