Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Mark, you have rebuilt so much of this model that you could have two ships :)  That said, I very much like your attitude that near enough is not good enough; and it will pay dividends in the long run as you say.  That deck planking is coming on very nicely.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Mark 

Havta agree with Pat, the redos are worth it, 100%. Maybe you might be the only person who can see the difference, but YOU are the one that counts after all. 

The planking looks great mate. 

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Greg wrote: 

My motto - when in doubt, rip it out! Of course that could explain why my models take so long to complete.

So long, yes - but they look so nice, Greg! And you'll say the same, Mark. The re-laid deck looks very good, and you'll now have a nice warm glow inside every time you look at it.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

My motto is an abridged version of yours...*When in doubt, rip it out.....but.... if it took weeks to install or no one or their brother will ever see or notice it....Let it slide...Paint it if you have to.:piratetongueor4:

Rob(Master of camouflage )

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

what a huge difference..........that deck looks pretty sweet!    super job Mark! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very nicely done.  Those of us who have been around for a bit are used to your re-works - and the always improved result they produce. :)

Mark,

Getting caught up here. As you and others have taught me re-works are a way of life here, you will be somuch more satisfied in the end. Now, if only I could figure out a re-work button for life, id be a milionair and retired instead of just tired!!! LOL!!

(im)patiently waiting for more.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

• 2 weeks later...

Just think I need to make a brief update.... there isn't any.  I am grateful for the comments, the encouragement, the corrections, and the "push" to do better.

After being down with a particular nasty bit of flu, i'm staring at the beast and realize I really really need new glasses.  So.... on hold for a bit.   I was going to cut a test cannon carriage but when I realized how tiny it is, I'd best wait.

So, in the meantime, I'm fiddling with the drawings, sorting out the next steps, and waiting on a lumber delivery.  It seems my maple went into full warp mode over the last year... <sigh>  Plus I discovered no wood of the right size for the gun carriages. 

I don't think I'll change my ways at this point.  Still learning so do-overs are part of life. :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Mark 

That's a true sign of AGE mate when you realize that you need new glasses. 😎

Been there, done that! 

You're in good company anyway. 

Havagooday you old man! 😆Lol

Greg 

Ps. Hope that you will get over the flu soon.

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Beautiful work on the deck Mark. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the likes and support.

My eyes are bit off as it turns out that I need new glasses... so still in a holding pattern but doing odds and ends.

I've worked with the laser and set up for the cannon carriages to be cut.  Even managed to get one cut but not assembled yet..  these things are tiny....    Anyway photo of what I've done and hopefully I can get them cleaned up and start figuring  out a jig for building them.  I'm not going to put guns in the foreword most port on each side as apparently they weren't normally filled and there's next to no room to serve them.  Once the first is cleaned up, assembled, and checked at all ports, I'll either revine it if needed or go for production.   

Tomorrow's another day and hopefully for my mental well-being the new glasses will show up this week.

58eb08c473bb3_Cannon-1.thumb.JPG.09d97041d980b45b45039b83118fd7f9.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Mark 

Looks good for a ex Lazer cut version without cleaning. One question though, are you going to have the carriages raw timber or painted?  If raw, the knots may be a problem!

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

Your visual well being, or is it being visually impaired, didn't pose a problem cutting that gun carriage, although, you have got some major burns on them ... not possible to get less smouldered wood on the sides?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Glad to see you progressing Mark.  That's quite a bit of char to clean off, or are you painting them?

WRT the front ports, I am not sure of this, but weren't they there so the forward two guns could be manoeuvred and used in that position as sort of bow chasers?  That would then allow enough room - Even if not true - agood enough story to explain their absence ;):)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the likes and comments....

12 hours ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Mark 

Looks good for a ex Lazer cut version without cleaning. One question though, are you going to have the carriages raw timber or painted?  If raw, the knots may be a problem!

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

I'll leave them as wood with a light finish of Wipe on Poly.   BTW, those aren't knots.  What looks like knots are marks for drilling holes.

11 hours ago, CDW said:

Mark

Out of curiosity, how many watts is your laser, and what do you feel is the minimum watts required for typical ship model part fabrication? 

I have a "true" 50W or at darn close to it.   As for minimum watts... what thickness of wood?  The first tube that came with it was labeled as 40W... but reality says it was closer to 30W.   Most ads for cutters use "max power" as their rating.  Run them at that power long and the tube will die.

As for the char.. I'm cleaning it off and then may recut and tweak power a pit.

9 hours ago, cog said:

Your visual well being, or is it being visually impaired, didn't pose a problem cutting that gun carriage, although, you have got some major burns on them ... not possible to get less smouldered wood on the sides?

I'm working on clearing off the char today.  ;)   This is just a test and I'm sure there will be more as I refine the process and cuts.

8 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Glad to see you progressing Mark.  That's quite a bit of char to clean off, or are you painting them?

WRT the front ports, I am not sure of this, but weren't they there so the forward two guns could be manoeuvred and used in that position as sort of bow chasers?  That would then allow enough room - Even if not true - agood enough story to explain their absence ;):)

cheers

Pat

This is true, Pat.  But there's really not much room to maneuver a cannon to forward ports.  Most of the frigates of that size had the forward ports unarmed and on many ships of the class, those ports also had permanent lids unlike the rest of the ports.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

3 hours ago, cog said:

Mark,

What do you mean by "permanent lids unlike the rest of the ports"

Sorry, bad eyes on my part are making clear thinking problematical at the moment.  On English ships, they use permanent hinged lids on all ports.  Okay... they can be removed but generally were left in place full time.  The French 8-pdr frigates didn't have permanent lits.  More like a buckler that was installed only in heavy seas and then removed.  The guns were usually left run out to give some extra space on the deck.  The first port was the only one with a permanent lid.  

8 minutes ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Mark

Nice job on the carriage, even for a prototype.  I didn't realise how tiny they were until I saw them against the ruler. Yep, tiny, alright!

Cheers

Patrick

Yes, they are tiny.   Luckily I have new glasses coming in later this week.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well... I just irritated the h*** out of myself.   I'm really needing beer at this moment... <sigh>  Just realized the French didn't use whitewash on inner bulwarks like the English/Americans did....<deeper sign>   So I'll sleep on this (I hope) and either claim artistic license and continue with the holly or rip out what I've installed and use cherry for red ocher.  :(

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

G'day Mark 

I only pressed the like button for there's no 'oh Damm it' button. 

Artistic licience might be the go for a lot of people, but I doubt you are one of these!

Redoing is good for the soul, some people may say...... but it's really a pain in the backside!

I really feel for you mate. 

Havagooday if you can 

Greg 

18 minutes ago, Omega1234 said:

Don't make any decisions until you've got a clear head.

Clear head ... maybe better to refrain from the beer ...

Just a few questions to get things clear to me:

• Why should the holly be removed?
  • Is it imperative to paint ... (to paint or not to paint)
  • Does the colour of the wood define the colour it would have been washed/painted

Enjoy your beer ;)

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

How visible is the finished area? Main decks (very visible), I'll bet you redo with appropriate woods. Lower down, probably leave it. But, like Patrick said, wait for that clear head before you do anything. Hope that beer was good and you let your problem cogitate in the ol brain juices.  However you decide will be the correct one.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

My first reaction is to say leave it, especially if you are a long way into it. My next thought though is I have seen you redo just as much for even less noticeable reasons and so I think this will bother you the rest of the build and after and therefore tear it out. That sucks but I think you will feel better and with the effort you are putting into this build I think it is the right thing to do. :)

As for what to use instead, I think the cherry wood may come out too dark for a red ocher. I used pear on my Couronne build and while it is more pinkish than red, I think it works and I can just say it is sun bleached! :P

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild