Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Well, I finally hit the brick wall.  So rather than let it stop me, I'll go around it.

Attached photos show the blocks for the gun rigging.   Unfortunately, even at 5/32" they're still too big. I tried Chuck's 1/8" blocks but had to give that up after sending an even dozen flying across the room.  Too tiny to handle and to chase the holes for the .017" line.  A bit frustrating to say the least as I was enjoying doing the seizings for the lines. I'm going to look for some smaller line and hope I can use these small blocks for the 6 cannons up on the weather decks.   In the meantime, I'm telling myself that all that work would be hidden anyway under the decks and gangways.  I think the next model will have to be 1:48....

Anyway, here's the closeups of the cannon that tested with. 

Footnote1:  Somewhere around the shop are 7 or 8 of the 5/32" blocks which I'm sure I'll hear the vacuum suck up.

Footnote2:  The black hook in the first photo is one of Dafi's 2mm hooks.  Even the thin sowing thread looks huge when blown up.  

Time to go install deck furniture and build her galleys.

5-18V.thumb.JPG.a55460c6034cfaceb68d2aef76a017dc.JPG5-18W.thumb.JPG.c1ee294bc936ec09b5c9f22a565e105c.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark

Probably a pretty dumb suggestion as I have never in my life worked with tackle as small as this and therefore it is kind of like the student talking to the Sensei.

Would it be possible to pin the blocks to a flat surface like a bug collection with pins to hold them until you are able to secure the outer rope and hooks? Then you could hold them with a third hand type of tool by the secured lines and run the pulley ropes through them until they are fully rigged.

I am almost certain that there is something that probably prevents this method from working but I thought I would throw it out there anyway just in case.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mark, from experience, you will find those blocks that flew away when you are looking for something else on the floor.

Dealing with those small blocks is challenging. I used 3/32" blocks for the Connie guns and am using them now in the upper running rigging. I was loosing a lot at first (which I think I have found most of since then), but was able to get a pretty good process down to stropping them. I just takes lots of practice.

Thanks for all your patience and following along.  Many twists and turns on this journey and a few are self-inflicted.

Lou,

I experimented and used several jigs and all the results were, for lack of a better word..... meh.   

Tom,

I suspect you're right on the more practice.

After a good night's sleep... I reconsidered things.  New glasses weren't helping much and I probably focused too intently on the problem and used the wrong materials.  So, I'll revisit these little pests. Here's my thoughts:  The thread I chose was too thick which limited me on block size.  I need to use the smaller blocks due to the distance from the bulkhead hook to the gun carriage eyebolt.   I located my stash of fine linen thread that I wanted to use with the ropewalk and a test this morning shows it's doable with the smaller blocks (the 1/8" ones).  Vision goes bananas but not like it was so I'm stepping back from this for now.  Maybe in a week or two things will be a bit more stable.  So the gun rigging isn't dead yet... just on hold.

In the meantime, I'll sort out the deck furniture for the gun deck, make a rigging plan to sort out what I need to run to the gundeck before it's inaccessible, and maybe work on the exterior hull... eyebolts w/rings, channels and possibly the lower deadeyes and chains.  Almost forgot.. ship's boats need to there also.

So.. going to sit down with the plans and design and build her galley stoves.  Should be fun.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great looking gun deck Mark. Sorry to hear about the minor tackle snafu. It's amazing though what a good night's sleep can do, clear the fog.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Mark -

Yes, working with very small blocks is tedious, but I have developed some techniques that have simplified the process for me.  Here is a quick overview of the one that I use the most.  I hope that it can give you some ideas for your own work:

The central concept is that the stropping line is always under tension until the stropping is complete.  To do this, I took a Helping Hands tool and added a small alligator clip and a light spring to one of the tool's end clips, the left one in my case because I am right handed.  The selected stropping line is wrapped around three sides of the block and clipped into the stationary jaws on the right, with the tails held firmly in the spring clip (a).  The selected serving line (always smaller than the stropping line) is looped or tied around the strop tails (b), then wound tightly up towards the block, forming a nicely tapered siezing (c).  This is glued with your favorite glue and left to dry.

5acd764fefe0b_A-stropping1-3.thumb.jpg.8c537a7ede6ec92858318ff03ebcc5a1.jpg

Once the glue is dry the extra seizing line is snipped off and the block is released.  At this point it has two tails, making it suitable for tying the block to a spar or other rigging point (a).  If the block is going to be at the end of a pendant or other similar location, one of the tails is cut off very close to the seizing and a loop is seized into the end of the tail in a similar manner (b).  This technique works for me from the largest down to really small blocks.  In photo (c) the block on the left is a 7mm triple; the middle is a 4mm single which is the one in the photos, and on the right is a 2mm single.  The technique is the same, just the choice of stropping and seizing line changes.  The smallest block is seized with fly tying thread, which is about the smallest that my old hands and eyes can still work with.  On that note, an added benefit is that with the tails on it is much harder for the block to get itself lost when I am opening up the sheave holes.

5acd7e44d4ffc_Ba-stropping4-6.thumb.jpg.3f155a00e4513241d99ec2d11b722161.jpg

Of course there is more - seizing in hooks or eyebolts to the blocks, double stropping, etc.  but you get the idea, I am sure.  You can probably think of some improvements.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dan

Edited by shipmodel

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

I find when working on the fine details that I need a lot more breaks for the old Mark 1, Mod 1 eyeballs (me wearing glasses). I try to stop before I get cross-eyed. And no such thing as too much light. The bench lighting even gets augmented with a quartz halogen floor lamp aka mini-sun.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

the gun deck looks very good Mark.......so good to see you've been able to devote quite a bit of time to her :)  that means Janet is doing better....glad to hear it!  you and Janet deserve to enjoy some good days ;)    I forget which one......but one of my projects has some 2 mm blocks,,,,never done them that small {should be a hoot}!  sounds like you have other things to make.........take a break from them for the moment.  you rigged the breech ropes on all the gun deck cannons so far...consider it phase 1 ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mark, She is coming along nicely. Sorry to hear the micro-blocks are giving you fits. I used the same size block on my Enterprise carriages and remember well the learning curve, they were the first blocks I ever stropped. FWIW I used a fly tying vise, very carefully adjusted so it did not crush the block. That and the ever present lighted magnifiers.

Looking at Dan's technique I may be trying that out next though, that spring looks to be the ticket.

Best of luck,

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Mark,

You might could consider using linen thread as is.

I bought the following from Colophon Book Arts Supply :

Londonderry linen thread

dia        dia 1/48   circ 1/48    dia 1/60  circ  1/60

100/3    0.009       0.42         1.3            0.53        1.6

80/3      0.01         0.48         1.5            0.48        1.9

50/3      0.012       0.6           1.9            0.75        2.3

The price is < $3.00 and delivery was fast.

Since it is already 3 strands laid  you can use it straight up. 

As for holding the blocks 

I bought some Dritz Quilting Crystal Glass Head Pins,

that are 1 3/4" long and are # 76 wire gauge

that may not be too large a hole for the rope and

if you nip off the bead and mount it on a piece of wood - there is a lot of up/down play before a block would come off the top

The bead could be nipped after even.

I don't know how Londonderry does their 100/3 - I have trouble laying up 62/1 yarn - it breaks before I can get long lengths

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks for looking in, my friends.

I'm still having eyeball problems (new glasses the cause?).   And working on redoing the pumps. The more I looked at them, the less I liked what I saw. 

Dan, I'm using the 3rd hand (modified) also. The one's in the pic were from "fiddling"...playing a bit and thinking things through.  There's not enough "space" for serving but I'm looking over your method and will try that when I get to the "real" rigging.  Re-do that... there's enough room for maybe two or three wraps of seizing but I'll have to check spacing.

Ken, Popeye, and Sam...  Yeah.. breaks.  I think you're right that I need more of them.

Jaager, the line I'll be using is some 100% cotton (Coats & Clark).  No fuzz nd a visible "twist".  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey Mark coming along nice. I feel your pain about the glasses, sucks to get old my friend! A tip a guy told us at a workshop about eye strain is not to focus more than 15minutes whether at the computer screen or what have you. He said you need to look away and focus on something 5-10 feet away to give the eyes a break.

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

Small update.  The pumps are done.  The pic shows the "old" one on the left and the new one on the right.   I've spent the last day or so blackening various brass bits... still more to go along with working on the rigging list.  The pumps are just about 5 foot tall as this seems to be the size.  I'm giving thought to having one rigged to show how they were operated.  For those not into French ships, here's a video of the ones on the  L'Hermione replica: 

5-18X.thumb.JPG.afba4df5cedaa4bbc7f8ee6ff97b462b.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Yep. They look fantastic, Mark !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

A much better result Mark, the new ones look very good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Super nice looking pumps Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Of course everything is looking good!  One thing that jumped out at me was the ladders in your earlier post, looks like there are two ladders coming up from lower deck, one port and one starboard, looks to be a very challenging setup to avoid accidents if both sides are being used simulataneously and doesn't seem to leave much headroom space when coming up - do you know if that is a unique French design?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Jason, I wondered the same thing also but that's the layout both using Hahn's plans and the one's I ordered from the British archives. Plus those ladders are coming up under the pinrail.  This ship seems pretty compressed and packed as far as space on deck.  The access below decks gets even more restrictive once the ship's boats are in as the large open hatchway will have a boat over it.

Thanks for the comments on the pumps and for the likes.  I'm working on Rev 4 of the stove/kitchens/fireplaces (depending on the translation) and I think these will be the ones.  I did try two more times on the gun rigging but there's just no way.  I'll give it another shot when I've completed the gundeck furniture.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Since I'm working on the fireplaces, here's a picture now that the iron bars the pots sit on have been installed.  I still have the exterior to plank and the pots to make.  The flash made them redder than then actually are as they're more of a red-brown or rust color.  I wanted them to look like they had been used.

5-19.thumb.JPG.bec684350c0fe41d21f269f68adaff03.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Patrick

You didn't miss it as I never mentioned it.  It's model railroad brick wall.  Appears to be a vacuum formed sheet of plastic.  I tried making bricks but they were just too darned tiny.  Each one is 1 inch (25mm) wide, .75 inches (20mm) deep and  .625 inches (15mm) high.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great work with the kiln ovens mark, sutch an easy item to miss out but great putting the extra effort in to detail them, she is looking like a fine ship.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Hi Patrick

You didn't miss it as I never mentioned it.  It's model railroad brick wall.  Appears to be a vacuum formed sheet of plastic.  I tried making bricks but they were just too darned tiny.  Each one is 1 inch (25mm) wide, .75 inches (20mm) deep and  .625 inches (15mm) high.

Thanks Mark!

Very nice Mark.  I was looking for something similar for the try works for my Morgan and saw that plastic sheet stuff.  Looks great!

If you're a masochist, these look interesting.  I've considered trying them out to see how the finish:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Extremely-Tiny-Real-miniature-bricks-HO-OO-N-scale-railway-wargame-diorama/161304880942?hash=item258e85272e:g:AG4AAOxyBvZTQ9PQ

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 4/22/2018 at 10:42 PM, cog said:

What's for grub, Mark? ... you keep on tinkering ... :) I just wondered, copper or cast iron pans ...

Copper, of course. :)

18 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Very nice Mark.  I was looking for something similar for the try works for my Morgan and saw that plastic sheet stuff.  Looks great!

If you're a masochist, these look interesting.  I've considered trying them out to see how the finish:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Extremely-Tiny-Real-miniature-bricks-HO-OO-N-scale-railway-wargame-diorama/161304880942?hash=item258e85272e:g:AG4AAOxyBvZTQ9PQ

I might be a masochist, but I'm not that bad yet... then again, model ships.. hmm.. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: