Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Al,

That's one of my references.  I located the original plans (some but not all) but not the re-build plans.  As built, Le Renommee would be close. Very ornate.   So far, the only ones that exist are the NMM that I can find. I'll give my searching another few days and then go with what I think the carvings were.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

pok'in in Mark to see how your progressing........looks like you and the death star are getting along super ;)    the emblem looks great!   I hope things get better for you....hope Janet is doing better.   look'in forward in seeing more  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Catching up Mark, progress is coming along great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2018 at 11:57 PM, mtaylor said:

Al,

That's one of my references.  I located the original plans (some but not all) but not the re-build plans.  As built, Le Renommee would be close. Very ornate.   So far, the only ones that exist are the NMM that I can find. I'll give my searching another few days and then go with what I think the carvings were.

Hi Mark,

If this can help ...

Patrick

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Thanks for looking in and the likes.   Been awhile since I've not been in the shipyard but moving the shipyard.  Anyway, move is done, only thing left is the laser cutter to re-calibrate and find all my spacers for setting the focal length of the lens.   Going to be a busy rest of the week and then hopefully shop time this weekend or maybe early next week.

Thanks for that reference Patrick.  I have that book also.  However, at the time of Licorne's capture, she had been rebuilt and no longer looked like she did originally, which was much like La Renommee.   At the time of capture she was very similar to Belle Poule in style of the sterm. quarter galleries and bow but with differences.  One of the differences is that Licorne, as captured, had the Arms of France.   In many ways, her carvings were more like Le Venus (even her masting sizes were comparable).  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's great that your shipyard move is about done. I'm looking forward to seeing some progress and especially your carvings.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Larger move, Sam, across town.  

The DeathStar is just about operational just needs some tweaking of settings and final leveling.  I'm going to let is sit overnight so everything settles in because the floor is carpet.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

At least things won't bounce much when they hit the floor.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

My previous work area had carpet.  I find a vac with bit of filter paper works well for finding lost bits as does walking barefooted. :o

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

walking barefooted

The foolproof method! Especially if the lost item is sharp!:stunned:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

When I was a kid I was walking across the carpeted living room. I felt a sharp pain on the bottom of my foot and started dancing on one leg. As i was hopping in pain my mom with a perfectly straight face said "oh, you found my earing". The entire stud was stuck straight in. We all had a good laugh about it later but I didn't think it was very funny at the time. 

Al

Current Builds:

2 hours ago, alde said:

When I was a kid I was walking across the carpeted living room. I felt a sharp pain on the bottom of my foot and started dancing on one leg. As i was hopping in pain my mom with a perfectly straight face said "oh, you found my earing". The entire stud was stuck straight in. We all had a good laugh about it later but I didn't think it was very funny at the time. 

Well, at least you were the one to find it, no extra's for dessert ...?

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for following along this voyage everyone.    Things have settled down a bit and I'm getting some shop time.   So on with the build as time permits.. now where was I?   Oh...  the carvings have been set aside (again).  I probably have a mental block for them.  :)    So it's back to the ship's boats.

I've basically dumped all the old formers and bits that had worked on as I just wasn't happy with the way they were turning out.   Felt like something was really amiss so I went off on a different tack.  I hope this time will be the magic one.  I've done a test boat (didn't complete it) that showed me the "true" path to enlightenment.  Or something like enlightenment.

I reworked a set of plans I bought and turned them into what I needed for the boats.   I also decided to attack the 6" boat first and work down to the 4". Disclaimer:  I sent the plans maker a copy of all the plans for these boats to see if they can use them.  I'm also buying enough kits (3) so the build will essentially be on a one-for-one basis.

After reworking the plans, I've cut the first pieces which are the keel, building jig and all the associated pieces out of boxwood.  I found that plywood un-glued itself or the glue went up on smoke and I ended up with charcoal.   There were two pieces of the build jig that I cut from 1/4" basswood and it's been cleaned up as necessary.   I'm currently removing the pieces, cleaning off the char as needed and putting together the keel and building jig.  I hope to cut out the ribs and planking from Swiss pear later this week.   There won't be twarts, rudder, oars, etc. inside this boat as it's the "bottom of the stack" as such and the next boat will fird inside this one.

The sharp eyed will detect a few errors in the photo such as a duplicate cutting due to my mispositioning the wood into the laser.   It's a "just in case" spare now.  There's at least one other obvious "I blew it" moment but those two parts have been corrected and recut.

There will be more pictures to come.

13.A.thumb.JPG.196e1f27ad705981b2e027b0e505ed42.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark

It's nice to see you are finally able to get back to working on your build and also interesting to see how far you have gotten on the ship's boat issue. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Great to see you back at it Mark.  You seem to have that 'death star' sorted now, that sheet looks very nicely cut.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mark

I’m just catching up on your lovely Licorne. I’m glad to see that you’re back at the shipyard and working on the ships boats.  They look like they’ll be a fun project in their own right.  

Have a great week.  

Thanks

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the patience on this build, the advice, and the likes.

It's been slow going what with personal issues, re-cutting some pieces, etc.   Here's where I am on the this first ship's boat.  The build jig has been built and the keel and the two risers on each side are installed.  The risers still need a bit of tweaking as to some bits and pieces where the planking will run and then glue them into position.  I'm pretty pleased with how it's going just need more time and focus.   After the tweaks, the next step is to cut out the ribs and install them.  I see from the photos, I need to do some more clean up of the char on the keel and the risers.

13.B.thumb.JPG.d8f1642d804b3de3509bfbc416d0694d.JPG13.C.thumb.JPG.ec0deeadb17528f0e2682921009195ef.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice to see you back at it Mark. Nice work so far, hope it continues, I would hate to see you tear it all apart again and start all over if does not meet standards like you tend to do when not happy with the results.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looks great from here Mark. I know what you mean about having to set the fun stuff aside now and then. It's not always a smooth road.

Al

Current Builds:

Looks like great progress Mark; hang in there mate.  i like your build jig concept.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

checking in on your progress Mark.........very neat idea  ;) ........makes me wish I could afford one of those laser cutters ;)   Holy Cow!

hope you two are OK.......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you for the likes and comments.

Working on the model is going slow, but productive.  I have a few nitpicking details to resolve before going to the planking stage.   I hope to have an update soon.  

23 hours ago, jnugid said:

Looks very good Mark and welcome back. I am glad you are continuing your build log. 

Question: what kind of wood you are planning to use for both frames and planking? Are those clinker or carvel type planking?

Best regards,   

Jim

I'm planning on Swiss pear, Jim.  It should give an nice contrast to blend with the other woods.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Fine work mark,  reminds me of my Agostini Vic build on here before the site problem  - this was my ships barge I had built.

OC.

100 scale long boat-2.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking very nice Mark, I can't help but feel this would make a nice kit.  Have you considered going there?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)