Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Jason, go back up to post #2799 where I explain how I did the plans.   They're not mine but I bought 3 boat kits and reworked them for my purposes and then sent my modifications to the kit owner in case they would be interested in using them.  I'm not about to sell plans or kits for these as the plans are not mine to sell.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

just caught up Mark, lol i was about 30 pages behind, lovely work, i think i was more upset than you when you restarted this build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

that would be taking a giant step into the dark side.   I've used Billings plans for the Andrea Gail.  I'd never sell her.  recently,  I learned how to resize the parts panel diagrams in the back of the instructions,  and capture it using the snipping tool.   this will be very useful for models that I'd like to do in a larger scale than presented in the kit...I have two of them in mind.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...

I'm back with you Mark.  Just take care of yourself.  Nice work on the boat.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like it's been forever what with numerous personal issues that needed solving but it's time for an update.  And it feels great to be back in the shop and doing something again.

The build jig has the main framing pieces installed, checked for fit and still needs a bit of tweeking to level out for the planking 

13-d.JPG.41d36b0ee0de1f4563b382be385bc352.JPG

Today I grabbed the bull by the tail and stared the situation squarely in the face, in a manner of speaking.  I laid out and cut the planking for the boat.  There's still a couple pieces uncut but I'm holding off as those are the last ones installed and need to be trimmed to fit.

Overall, I'm most impressed with the Yellow Cedar.  Hopefully, over time it will fade in color a bit.   It cut nicely and cleanly and minimal smoke except for some places on the "hidden" side (last photo) where the beam exits the wood there is some splotching which appears to be sap popping and discoloring the wood. I think a bit of sanding will take care of that.  Could also be that the table the wood sits on needs a good cleaning.

13-e.JPG.40df5feffc1cb864cf07c0e4d7562f74.JPG

13-f.JPG.4d1ce5bbb78873603f7c3eb0d3282b1d.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back to the 'fray' agan Mark; have missed your updates.

I like that building jig; and, BTW, you make me extremely jealous with the flexibility/capability that 'death star' provides for you :)

happy New Year!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Welcome back Mark! I hope this is a sign that those things in life are improving. Happy New Year!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the likes and the comments.

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning because it smells like something getting done.... Not quite the famous line, but it works for me. :P  Just realized I needed to order more Yellow Cedar from Chuck.  My stash of other species is a bit light in the small thickness so it's either mill what I have from somewhat bulk pieces or order.  I think I'm just going to need the cedar for now as I have the stock to finish the hull including the two weather decks.

Pat, I do love the laser.  I really wish I had more to cut on the at this point.  But it looks like odds and ends from hear on out.   Next ship it'll get a workout.

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

It’s good to see you “back in the saddle again!  Before you get to far along with your boat you might like to look at the ANCRE website.  French ships boats had some distinctive features.

Roger

No need to look at their website, Roger.  I'm well stocked with their books.  Yes, very distinctive features.  I have the plans for the Belle Poules boats and using them as a baseline.  Since this one is the low boat on the stack at midships, I'm having to sort through what I will be leaving off besides the thwarts and what I have to include like the 4 cannon posts, the rear roller, and the stern seat.  Some of these fittings will have to wait until the next boat is built to ensure proper fit of the "rack" inside to stack the next one up. With all 3 being stacked midships, the uppermost (the cutter) will get the full interior treatment.  

So, I'm trying stay a few steps ahead on things.     

I just realized I've messed up the terminology.  The largest is the "longboat", next size down is the "barge" and then the "cutter".   All similar too but not quite the same as other countries boats.  Even the best laid plans of mice and men run afoul of Mr. Murphy.   

Damn,  I forgot how much fun and work this is.  The fun and satisfaction make up for the work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

3 hours ago, SJSoane said:

hi Mark,

I must have missed it somewhere, I apologize; what laser cutter are you using?

Mark

I have one of the "early" ModelExpo machines that's been heavily modified due to a tube breaking and water creating problems.   Instead of the original 40W (ok... 30W in reality) it's similar to the Chinese K40s,  but it now has a beefed up power supply, and the tube is now a true 50W with an extender on the laser case to allow for and protect the extra length.   It only has a 12X12 bed area but the machine is physically about as large as I can go in the current workshop.  The base cause was the water pump (an aquarium type is standard for these) died.   I replaced it with a refrigerated cooler from lightobject.com which has been goto source for all parts.

Here's a link to rebuild, this was the major upgrade before the tube broke and the power supply blew.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Glad to see you and the Death Star back at it Mark. I think your extra effort in doing your ships boats this way will pay big dividends in the long run. I too am big time jealous of your Death Star but to be honest I have no real idea what I would do with it if I did have one.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mark,

I can only admire from afar your skill in understanding and tweaking hardware. When my son was 21 he successfully built his own computer, with no previous experience or training; I still secretly believe aliens landed to help him, but what do I know?😊

Great to see what you are doing with it.

Best wishes,

Mark

Gwen and I wish you and your family a very great 2019 and in good health.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

nice work with the death star!  gonna look super when assembled....glad to see your back too.   hope you two are well and a happy new year to you both!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, src said:

Perhaps you mentor and I missed it, how does it work with hand tools?

By hand ... you've been doing a lot of handtooling lately ..? We've seen so little ... of you, so you mest have been kept very bussy!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sam,

I think the Yellow Cedar is a dream wood.  A bit soft compared to say boxwood (ok... quite a bit softer) but it does take nice edges and a very smooth surface is possible.   Order a plank or two from Chuck and try it.

Hello to all.

As for today.. I'm not sure where I'm going with this build at the moment.   I've not progressed much as there's too much new turmoil going on personally since the first of the year, and with all the confusion, unknown outcomes, etc. things are a bit static.  In the scheme of things, the mild stroke I had two years ago was minor compared to what's been going on since then and has recently escalated.  It's not a health issue with me.  Hopefully, I can re-find my focus and continue with her.  If I can't get the motivation back, I'll just leave her on the shelf and start a new project.   Please bear with me.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I hope all turns out well for you and your family soon Mark; 'life and family' must always take priority.  If you do park her on the shelf, it was a great learning experience for you (and us) and you were able to well and truly test the 'death star'.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I agree Mark

It may be best to think of something simple and relatively mindless that can progress at a pace that is enjoyable but not demanding. The Licorne and us will still be here when it is time again.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Like the previous lads said, Mark. Whatever you need to do and wherever that leads, we can wait.  I get what you're saying.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the support, my friends,

I guess I should clarify.  I'm not giving up though for a few days I did consider burning her in the stocks.  But I didn't.  I intend to finish but need a break from her, so I'll put her away until the muse hits again.  What started out as a tribute to my wife, now ex-wife with serious health issues, took the wind out the sails and explained to me a lot of the turmoil of the last two years. 

Meantime, I'm thinking of trying to loft the next project.  I don't think it'll be that hard to learn but will require some serious focus so that should help my mental state.  I will try to fiddle and get a few sub-assemblies done for Licorne but for the next week/month <not sure, maybe longe> I'm going to work on getting my mojo back.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark

Life sure has a way of throwing curveballs at us.  Whatever you need to do, Mark, just do it.  MSW and Licorn can always wait.

Just take care of yourself and before you know it, you’ll be back on deck sooner than you think.

Wishing you all the very best!

Cheers

Patrick

Mark,

You could swap to the artificial side, Plastic & PE ... reasonable quick build, but quite a challenge ... ;) Or just a simple kit could ease the inner turmoil ... MOst important: Have FUN!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark, I can certainly empathize to a certain extent as I'm going through a rough patch at the moment that's making it hard to focus. I've learned so much from following this log and appreciate all that you've put into sharing your skills and knowledge with us.