Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Cripes Mark!    she looks great,  now that she upright!  :D   gonna look even better with the excess wood gone!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Really nice Mark.  Are you using ebony for the black areas?  Just out of curiosity, is yours jet black?  It looks like it might have a little brown in it which I really like.  The ebony I'm using for my Morgan build is solid jet black, and I would probably prefer wood with a little more color variation.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the "likes", the comments, and the encouragement.  

I thought briefly (and laughed out loud at the thought) of mounting a couple of Nieuports on top and calling it a carrier.  Then the image of what would Nelson have thought?....      It's coming off.

Mike, I'm using some ebony I picked up from Wood Workers Resource,  I think you're right that there is some areas that aren't as black as the rest and the lighting maybe be playing tricks with the camera and making them more apparent.

Now I know what Vader went through... post-76-0-96027600-1482529715.gif  The Deathstar is still down (except at very low power for testing).  There's an air leak somewhere that's letting air bubbles into the tube which is a very bad thing. It's not holding me up... I'm waiting for some new tubing and few other things coming in next week.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking great in her new home (cradle) Mark, that came up terrific.

Merry christmas and happy modelling in 2017

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Just catching up Mark. The hull looks beautiful. You should be very proud.

Merry Christmas and on behalf of many members, thank you for your dedication to MSW and the encouragement and advice you provide.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Better get the build board off or install catapults. I'm a fan of the old SPAD.

She's looking good, bro.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Then the image of what would Nelson have thought?....

If my assessment of him would be right: He would have changed the ways of naval warfare even further ... All new fascinating possibilities ... He would have fitted a sloup of war with a plane to drop the canon balls ;)

(right, I'll get back to my corner Mark)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Lovely; it's really neat to see it right side up. As for the flight deck, others beat me to it, but you could always install a few balloons instead and consider it a forward naval observation post!

Almost there Mark what about 40+  small sections of wood to cut through......

Merry Christmas

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I wager everyone that's built an extended frame model has had this little joke creep into their head.

post-961-0-15869400-1482604277_thumb.jpg

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Hi Mark,

CONGRATULATIONS on reaching a great milestone! It's much easier now to see what a beautiful model she'll be.

I hope you and your family have the Merriest possible Christmas.

My hope is that you and your family have the best of everything in the New Year (especially sharks with laser beams :).

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks again for looking in and liking and commenting...

I'm about three cradles behind at the moment, Mark.  Do you feel like going into production? ;)

John

Not a the moment, John.    :)

Lovely; it's really neat to see it right side up. As for the flight deck, others beat me to it, but you could always install a few balloons instead and consider it a forward naval observation post!

That and the idea of dropping cannon balls from the air... hmm....

Almost there Mark what about 40+  small sections of wood to cut through......

Merry Christmas

Michael

Not quite, Michael.  There's 58 frames.. so... 116 total.  Yikes!!!!  I need to get busy.

I wager everyone that's built an extended frame model has had this little joke creep into their head.

attachicon.gifmac20111215d.jpg

Yep.. Hahn style with extended frames.  It's fun though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work Mark.  That is the most beautiful wood grain!  Your extra effort is certainly paying off.

Hope you had a great Christmas celebration.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Nice work Mark, the Hull looks Fantastic Well done 

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

G'day Mark

Sorry that I've been absent from your log for a long time. Some personal reasons, but I'm back, very slowly though and trying to catch up on all the logs that I've missed.

You're are going great guns mate and i havtasay that you are a master of this craft.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU! And with your death star you are getting like the DARTH all the time. LOL.

Happymodelling mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Mark,

The progress you have made on your Licorne is simply amazing since I last checked in..she looks fabulous!  

Looking forward to the very special day when you are able to finally remove the jig!

Hope you don't mind me rejoining your build log.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Just an update, nothing to report.  Very slow going removing the forest from the hull as I don't want to break anything or pop off any planks.  Still fiddling with the Deathstar but I think that problem is nearing the end.  And life just keeps getting in the way, lately.    ;)

Thanks for the likes, the comments, and the interest in this build.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello Mark, Happy New Year and may Mr. Murphy have a long walk from a short plank.

Finally caught up with your build, nice progress.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello Mark,

Good call on the cradle. Your planking is drop dead beautiful - really accentuates the graceful hull lines. Very nice.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Hi Mark!

I'm late to your log, but I'm happy I took the time to read the whole build log from the start. This has been a masterclass for me, since I had no idea of the complexity of a plank on frame model. I wish I could do something like this... I really enjoy your detail-oriented spirit. She's just beautiful, no other words suffice. Congrats!!! I'll keep following in the back of the room, just taking notes to myself...

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

... let's see if it survives my poor hands... 

Hi Mark!

I'm late to your log, but I'm happy I took the time to read the whole build log from the start. This has been a masterclass for me, since I had no idea of the complexity of a plank on frame model. I wish I could do something like this... I really enjoy your detail-oriented spirit. She's just beautiful, no other words suffice. Congrats!!! I'll keep following in the back of the room, just taking notes to myself...

...figuring out how to do the same thing in styrene and carbon fiber ;)

I have to agree on your assessment of the planking job, it appears to be flawless, except for that one spot only Mark can see that still irritates him. But it has to be extremely close to the ideal curves in both axes with a finish that's just as good.

Mark, one question since unfortunately I don't have the time Martin needed to read >119< pages of build log, but what are you doing the black finish with? I'm new of course, and knowledgeable in woodworking and wood finishes but not ship modeling. Are you doing the black with a thinned paint, a pigment-based stain, or dye? 

This might be too big a question, but when it comes to the semi-natural wood finish category like this, how do you decide what is painted, what isn't, and what you want to do with different species of wood, and how do you choose which species and what bits are dark and what are light? In short, are there some basic rules about designing this kind of finish you could quickly explain? If there aren't some simple rules that would be a really lengthy answer and I'll do some reading. I am still much more likely to do full painted finishes, but I'd like to know how to approach the problem if I decide to do a finish like this.

I think these finishes are gorgeous when well done and also makes the result cross over much more as a pure objet d/art,  but I will have a hard time spending all that time on making the physical object as realistic as humanly possible only to not continue with the finish in the same mode. Which is more or less saying "my disorder is more severe than yours, pray for me" but hey ;-)

Thanks for the likes and the comments.    I'm getting close to an update.

Vossiewulf,

The blackwood is ebony. I'm not using any paint.  I'm am probably at some point toss the ebony (not far but out of the shipyard) and start using Minwax Ebony Stain.  The dust from ebony is a real pain and it wears out sawblades real fast.  I'll do the sheer rails as I have them ready (strip wood) and after that, I see what I want to do.  

As for color selection.. I look to the masters of the art and see what they've done, what looks good to my eye and meets my needs.  Here's the post where I made my choices...   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5339-licorne-by-mtaylor-pof-316-french-frigate-hahn-version-20/?p=269711 In Licorne's case.. my only real mental battle was whether to plank her in cherry or swiss pear.  The pear won out as the cherry just gets too dark with age.

BTW, I thought model shipbuilding in general was a "disorder"...  ???

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the likes and the comments.    I'm getting close to an update.

Vossiewulf,

As for color selection.. I look to the masters of the art and see what they've done, what looks good to my eye and meets my needs.  Here's the post where I made my choices...   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5339-licorne-by-mtaylor-pof-316-french-frigate-hahn-version-20/?p=269711 In Licorne's case.. my only real mental battle was whether to plank her in cherry or swiss pear.  The pear won out as the cherry just gets too dark with age.

BTW, I thought model shipbuilding in general was a "disorder"...  ???

Actually I might have to ask some advice sooner rather than later. After thinking about it, I went and purchased the boxwood replacement package from Crown Timber for the Lady Nelson kit that I have, and I certainly won't want to paint over that. I have quite a lot of wood of all sorts of species floating around my workshop already for other reasons, probably won't have to buy anything else. And I'm pretty good with aniline dye stains.

I intend to start it after I wrap up what I'm working on now, which hopefully won't be too long. When I do I'll try some color combinations in Photoshop and bounce them off you.

Start a log when you do and bounce them off the followers would be the best approach.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, the "likes" and just looking in...  

At last, a real update as life (the Admiral's health) got in the way.  The frame extensions have been removed and she's starting to look more like a frigate.   I still need to sand them down to the sheer strake but I'll be doing that when I need a break from the gundeck work.

Here's the pictures...  as always, a click on them will open them to full size (or what constitutes full size on MSW).  The last two are more of a reference shot for examining things on my part but I thought I'd toss them in anyway.  Sorry about the sawdust and mess.....

post-76-0-28201800-1485029129_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-82025700-1485029141_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-84661000-1485029148_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-62874400-1485029158_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-44819700-1485029168_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: