Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

My apologies... my "like" button seems to have gone on random vacation/holiday in this topic...  so don't feel ignored.     

I'm still planking the inside...<sigh>  Life keeps getting in the way.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well.. I'm hoping to get things moving faster this week as it'll be too darn hot to even go outside (100-115 F) for the highs and in the low to mid 70's F at night.   :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Well.. I'm hoping to get things moving faster this week as it'll be too darn hot to even go outside (100-115 F) for the highs and in the low to mid 70's F at night.   :rolleyes:

Hi Mark,

I can sure identify with that!  I'm one state to the right of you, and thought it would be fun to work on my figurehead in the shade on the porch...  It was NOT fun being out there.  I think it's right at 100 at the moment.

Alan

Beautiful work! See you're fussing over details as always ;). Just got back myself. Looks like you're recovering nicely :)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Bill, it's great to see you back.  I hope all is well.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Mark.... Came to do some catching up on your work and just learned of your health issue.... also happy to learn that you're well along in recovery.
Glad to see you back to work old mate.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 5 weeks later...

Been too long since this has been updated.  Things around the household have become rather busy and hopefully a calm is coming.

I'm doing the inner planking and fitting the planks to the gunports as I go.  Rather fiddly but it's cut, glue and then sand to shape.   I'm trying to cut the planks more to the size between the ports just cut down the amount of sanding to fit.  I have at least the bottom of the ports done which will give me clearance and a clear demarkation of the ports, Hopefully the rest of this will go a bit faster.

5-17b.thumb.JPG.2c6f65242aca8d7c9972b95e49a6523a.JPG

5-17c.thumb.JPG.6529fc7aa975553b03c2e232784fd6de.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark, 

It's tedious, slow work but the effort is well worth it. Looking real good. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

You'll get there Mark, some good progress there.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice to see you back at the work-bench, Mark.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Looks great Mark, slow and steady.  Good to see you back at the workbench my friend.  :cheers:

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I'm glad she hasn't been covered by soot. If you get the inside looking like the outside, you can pat yourself on the back (it's a bit hard from this side of the globe, else I would do the honours)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark - nice to see the shipyard open and in full swing. She is looking good.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

good to see your making some progress on her Mark.....so nice to see her again.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the likes and comments...

It's been too long since this was updated... so this is a short update about a pesky, self-induced problem.

Between doing things around the house and yard, numerous medical visits for both Janet and myself and trying to sort my brain out and what's what, I've been pounding my head over a problem.   If we go way back to cutting out the frames, I put some "tits" on the frames to allow for positive placement of the deck clamps (I think that's right... brain fart).  But.. I've forgot how I was going to deal with them when I did the inner hull planking.   My bad... and my notes are no help. :(  

Here's one frame.. those "tits" are highlighted by the red arrows.

1-12a.JPG.105cb8cd0cd3250de99af9a562f02116.JPG

After much angst, occasionally thinking of just burning her in the stocks, I started to hand sand them with a thin piece of scrap sanding stick, I punted.   The sanding stick was taking forever and I wasn't pleased with the lack of control and also damage from my fat fingers.   

Here's the area I was dealing with... you can see a couple of the offending pieces highlighted in red.

DSCF2928.thumb.JPG.66dd06f70efefae2de16a0fe37d0c622.JPG

What I finally came up with is the below tool..  a felt buffing piece with some sticky-back sandpaper attached. I'm using my mini engraving tool as it's small, lightweight, and the lowest speed is a good 3000 RPM less than a Dremel.   It seems to be doing the job.   Once I've got the sanding done, I'll finish the planking.

DSCF2931.thumb.JPG.502cc2d3e36450a93cd6773b50595ea5.JPG

Anyway, I'm still at this and hope to have another update as soon as time permits.    

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

I made myself such a tool a few years ago, from my dremel box misc box I found a round felt polishing disc to which I glued some 180 grit paper. 

Works good for fast removal but I have caught myself a few times taking to much off.

ben

Hi Mark - 

Good to see you back.  Progress is looking good.

As for the sanding wheel, that is an ingenious solution to the problem.  I did not think of it, but bought flap-wheel sanders from Dremel - Product EZ474SA gives you both a fine and a coarse wheel for under $8 at Amazon.  I have them and they are wonderful to use once you get used to using a light touch.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Great to see you back Mark and I hope all remains well for you.  Nice adaption to the tool - now that is thinking outside the box.  Like Dan, I tried the flap wheels, but just could not consistently keep that "light touch' he mentions - may have to look at something similar to what you have done :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the comments and the "likes"...  

4 hours ago, Trussben said:

Hi Mark,

I made myself such a tool a few years ago, from my dremel box misc box I found a round felt polishing disc to which I glued some 180 grit paper. 

Works good for fast removal but I have caught myself a few times taking to much off.

ben

I'm using 400 grit at the lowest speed (2000 rpm) plus, if I put too much pressure on the tool, it stops spinning.  Speed wasn't my issue, it's getting to the darn things and this seems to be working.

3 hours ago, shipmodel said:

Hi Mark - 

Good to see you back.  Progress is looking good.

As for the sanding wheel, that is an ingenious solution to the problem.  I did not think of it, but bought flap-wheel sanders from Dremel - Product EZ474SA gives you both a fine and a coarse wheel for under $8 at Amazon.  I have them and they are wonderful to use once you get used to using a light touch.

Dan

Thanks Dan.  I'll look into them although I've never used them.  Might be useful for the next project as a bit late for this one.  Hmmm just looked.. .9" wide.  A bit too wide for the space I have to work in.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hiya mark,  glad to see you are back on the build,   your work has been missed around here, hope you dont mind if I move my chair a bit closer watching your build, as we share a similar build and I hope to learn more from a genuine talented person like your self.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments and well-wishes.  Things are getting better but this time of year, they also get more hectic.

Well, I've been spending time in the shipyard.  A bit slow but made some progress.  The inside of the gundeck is planked halfway up and then I stopped to do the beakhead (? as I'm spacing some of the terminology at times).  

First thing I did was fit the two beams to support the planks and also added a couple of small blocks to helps support the planks a bit.

5-17d.thumb.JPG.9c96d0d1cd85fda65aee32d10d31d7ce.JPG

Planked it with boxwood....

5-17e.thumb.JPG.bd0353384985ceb1f94980b2f31249a2.JPG

Checked the fit with my dummy bowspit....

5-17f.thumb.JPG.cb82bc462387df989c85c1f67fb2ddf1.JPG

Sanded like crazy and then added two small pieces of ebony around the planks and sanded everything some more.  It still needs some more sanding but that's for later this week when (or if) I get boarded finishing the inner planking.  I need to do some filling so I'll collect the sanding dust and fill it then.  Once the real bowspit is in, I'll do the leather piece to seal the gap.

5-17g.thumb.JPG.f952c5f27c68e068af2e3dc5acb56da9.JPG

Back to planking....  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: