Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

6 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

even when we live thousands of miles away from you.

Think of it as eighteen or twenty hours flying time, or six or seven time zones. It seems much closer!:D

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Gidday Mark.

I am saddened to read of your struggles.

As one who has faced some adversity I know the benefit of losing oneself in this amazing hobby.

Life in all its ups and downs does have a habit of "getting in the way" if it didn't life would be pretty mundane.

I am in no way belittling yours or anyone's circumstances, just making an observation.

I sincerely hope you find some peace in your life.

Although the tyranny of distance separates us all we are only a message away.

Wishing you all the best.
Mark.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:04 AM, mtaylor said:

Meantime, I'm thinking of trying to loft the next project.  I don't think it'll be that hard to learn but will require some serious focus so that should help my mental state.

I think that something new and complex like that, with a focus on learning, is a really good strategy. It does allow you to circulate the thoughts about your problems somewhere in the back of your mind until you come to terms with a new reality or suddenly discover ways out. Setting aside your model for the moment is a little like putting your past behind you for a while as you process everything. It's just sometimes hard to have the discipline to do this when everything else seems so overwhelming, but it does look as though you have that discipline.

You put a huge amount of energy into this forum, and care in looking at and commenting on the efforts of so many of us. We all appreciate this enormously. As have done the others, I do wish you well and hope that life rearranges itself the better for you whilst you rearrange your self.

Tony

As many others have said, take care of yourself and family first. The hobby, as well as all of us will be here wishing you the best and ready to either resume Licorne or follow whatever the next project is. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the comments and support.   I'm starting to feel better internally as I realize that there's too many things that that we, as either onlookers or participants, can't change things but only ride the storm out.  Time, it is said, heals all wounds.  

So, with that in mind, I'll be looking for a copy shop tomorrow that can reduce down some rather large drawings to the scale I want them.  Belle Poule looks to be the obvious choice as it does fulfill my criteria.  One is "not many models have been made of her", the other, it's significant in it's own right.  The last is a side reason.... Licorne and Belle Poule were the "excuse" for France entering into the American Revolution.

Having said that... they both pretty much look alike but with differences some major, some not so major.   They both are about the same length overall but naturally the masting and rigging are vastly different.    Once I get the plans sized and a build method I'll start a log.   Probably end up working both ships at the same time.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

i will always be here looking out for your brilliant updates, apologies for not realising the turmoils going on at the present time

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Having said that... they both pretty much look alike but with differences some major, some not so major.   They both are about the same length overall but naturally the masting and rigging are vastly different.    Once I get the plans sized and a build method I'll start a log.   Probably end up working both ships at the same time. 

Mark, if your enthusiasm for the Licorne has dwindled, why not convert your Licorne build over to the Belle Poule?  Are the hulls similar enough?  Masting and rigging is easily changed.  Stern and taffrail is easily modified as long as the hull shape is pretty close to the same.

Just thinking from a practical point of view if it is possible at this point in the build.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Gidday Mark.

I am looking forward to your future build / builds.

An empty platitude but something I have found to be true, " There is light at the end of the tunnel".

We just have to figure the way out.

That is my "Deep and Meaningful" for the day.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark. 

Hi Mark, Life does show us what we are made of. The lessons it presents teach us how to move forward, and it sounds like you are sorting it out. Happiness comes to us when we engage in what it is that gives us focus, and it sounds like a great idea to begin a fresh build at the moment. I look forward to the new build.

Michael 

Edited by michael mott
spelling

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks everyone.  My mindset is starting to work it's way out of the darkness.  Still have a way to go but at least I feel I'm moving forward.  My shrink, this group, and my ships are going a long way to speed up the healing process.  

9 hours ago, Dowmer said:

Mark, if your enthusiasm for the Licorne has dwindled, why not convert your Licorne build over to the Belle Poule?  Are the hulls similar enough?  Masting and rigging is easily changed.  Stern and taffrail is easily modified as long as the hull shape is pretty close to the same.

Just thinking from a practical point of view if it is possible at this point in the build.

Not a bad idea but this far along it is a problem.  The hulls are close, but the sterns and the hull shape at the stern are significantly different.  Same for masting which as it turns out, Licorne is basically the same size as La Venus but rigged as Belle Poule.  I have been thinking for a long time on doing Belle Poule since both ships were together off the English coast on one very certain day.  The English fleet showed up and Belle Poule got away and had greater glory off the the coast of France.   Licorne surrendered to the English squadron while surrounded by a few 74's.   France declared war the next day.  If I ever get the frigates done, maybe I'll look into the lugger.   Who knows where this will lead?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Belle Poule plans are at the printshop being reduced to the size I need.  Once I get them back and examine how I'll build her (bulkhead or frames) I'll start a log.   Nothing like having two ships in the stocks.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I've always been a fan of two builds, especially when building large or very long duration models. It gives you ways to take breaks from monotonous tasks while still enjoying the hobby. Will keep an eye out for the new log.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Now that's the way to 'get back into it' - double whammy it :)  great to hear you sounding enthusiastic about it too Mark.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hey Mark,

yeh - multi year builds are tough - that’s why I do some of ChuckP’s  “kits” in between ( they are plenty interesting on their own I will tell you ) it takes some pressure off and makes me want to work better on Pegasus - that’s the key point for me these days - follow Remchoes mantra! 

Ben

Hey Mark, sorry to hear about things.  Hope 2019 is treating you a little better.

Everyone is different, but for me, having multiple projects going on of various lengths works.  I find I get excited by a project, then eventually that enthusiasm dwindles, or I get stuck or feel overwhelmed.  Then things stop being fun and the project turns into a chore.  Having something else to turn to, even if it is a different pursuit, keeps my spirits elevated and i’m in a much better state of mind approaching whatever it is I’m working on.  

These long projects that run years do require a particular personality and mindset to get through I think.  That’s why having some short projects in the mix where the finish line is measured in days or weeks really helps.  I just started playing around with turning pens and am having a blast.  Turned a few pencils for my girls and I’m a hero to them.  I’ve also started looking at other things, including ships in bottles which take significantly less time to complete and you don’t have to worry about absolute perfection at such a small scale (especially when the glass provides some distortion).

I also think that coming to MSW and seeing the incredible artistry is mostly a blessing, but sometimes is a bit of a curse.  I get inspired for sure, but there are times when I feel like it becomes a lot of self imposed pressure to build the model at a high level.  For me it’s not that I would feel embarrassed to post my work, just that you come here and see what can be done and want to do the same.  In some ways it would be nice to just open a kit and build it from the box without really mentally torturing myself to get things perfect, historically accurate, etc.

Anyway, sorry for getting philosophical on this.  Take care of yourself my friend.  Looking forward to seeing whatever you end up doing.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

So sorry to hear about your past situation, which can never be really forgotten but it seems that you are fighting it quite well. I wish you strength.

I'll try to keep up with your builds, looks interesting.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the support.  

The idea of a second build is working.  I finally got my head wrapped around how to convert the plans to wood as basically it's just the equivalent of Navy Board drawings.   After staring the light finally turned on.   I'll be opening a build log once I get into sorting out my method...  POB, POF, POB with balsa fillers?  Decisions, decisions. 

The stress hasn't subsided but it's manageable at this point.  So I'll be continuing on Licorne while lofting what I need for Belle Poule.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

I’m sorry to hear about your inner turmoil.  It sounds like you have found effective treatment that works for you.  I’m glad that you are beginning to see a path out of the darkness.

Regarding Licorne; As the shipwright it is up to you to declare when she is finished and judging by your posts you have the makings of an impressive model even if you declare her finished now.  So why don’t you clean her up, mount her on a display board and enjoy her. If in the future you decide to work on her that’s great otherwise display her as a wooden ship under construction.

Roger

Thanks Roger.  That's one idea but I have a ways to go yet before I hit that point.  Early one, I did consider stub masts and may opt for that on both Licorne and Belle Poule.   Might be an interesting contrast to have them in the same case???   The masting sizes are different enough to that's still on the table just because they are different.  

I'm still having those "ah ha" moments as I sort through things while working on Licorne as time permits.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

Time for an update on Licorne.  "Yippee!" he says.    

The longboat has been planked and removed from the building jig.  Overall, I pretty happy with it.  It's not perfect but can be fixed.  Worst case is bin it and the next one will be better but for now, I'm going to attempt the "fixes".  I needs more sanding, perhaps a bit of filler.  I go with filler, I'll find some stain or paint to resemble the planking wood.  I need to finish cleaning it up inside and out, adding the rest of the internal ribs and the decking.  I'm not adding too much internal detail as this one is on the bottom of the stack of 3 ship's boats.  What's a bit scary is they get smaller...  :o

Here's the photo's before and after removing it from the jig.  Yes, there's a bit of damage, but after finding the bits in the trash pile, it's been fixed.  The first three on "on jig" and the second three are after the jig has been removed.

13-g.thumb.JPG.963144d694b28e481051190951adcb79.JPG

13-h.thumb.JPG.59ae307d10cd2b780e27d5608421d6bf.JPG13-i.thumb.JPG.203b66a58de33df93f0228cefbed0e8f.JPG

13-j.thumb.JPG.5179cd304ebbec9875f56d299e943e24.JPG13-k.thumb.JPG.8c6ec2a0e227aa3578367dae975ec5cb.JPG13-l.thumb.JPG.42e856cca4f74ef88ff951ecbd2b4b5c.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nicely done Mark, I guess you will be painting these 😁😁

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

3 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Nicely done Mark, I guess you will be painting these 😁😁

I hope not to need to paint.  I'm just more partial to the wood look.  

2 hours ago, src said:

Well done Mark, those tweezers give a good idea of how small that boat is.

Sam

This boat is 'big' one,  Sam and is about 6" long.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: