Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

facepalm_48.png.732227fa8837df70e5776d04e084da79.pngDoooh....    Fixed it.   Fat fingered the keyboard again.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good to see you making sawdust (and boats :)) again Mark.  A good outcome with the laser cut spiled planks; not easy to do with such small items but everything learned on this can be applied to the others.

cheers

Pat 

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Very nice Mark!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Nicely done Mark. Must get easier from here - if they’re smaller, there’s less wood; ergo, must be easier!😉

29 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Nicely done Mark. Must get easier from here - if they’re smaller, there’s less wood; ergo, must be easier!😉

And I have more problems the smaller it gets ...

Moving along nicely Mark. One advantage of BIG tweezers ... you can squeze Sam when he is nagging you ;) 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

3 hours ago, cog said:

One advantage of BIG tweezers ... you can squeze Sam when he is nagging you ;) 

They are also useful for removing 14' splinters.

:cheers:

Nice work on the boat, Mark.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes, comments, and support.

It's slowly coming together.   Still have to repair some damage and work to convert this design to make it look "French".

13-m.thumb.JPG.187e9ebbff6c48ca35d165ba63709c49.JPG13-n.thumb.JPG.14a6dff61ba8bcbef643e344382e31a7.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark

Great to see you back at things with Licorne.  The ships boat looks marvellous.  Mistakes? what mistakes? LOL

All the best...and I’m so happy to hear that things have taken a turn for the better.  Onwards and upwards!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks Patrick.  And yes, there's still damage from getting it off the build board.   For example, the stempost has some damage on the back (inboard) side and there's 4 formers down in the bilge to hold the deck up that need to be replaced.   Need a bit of laser time for that but it's coming.  I'm pretty confident I can make this one look presentable and not have to redo it as I though when it first came off. :dancetl6:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the "likes", the comments and the support.

A bit of an update.  All is not quiet in the shipyard but has been rather slow dealing with family and doggie issues.  I repaired the stempost (replaced it actually), trimmed down the transom, and then stained and installed the gunwales.  Hopefully, over the next day or two, I'll be able to re-cut the formers I need and install them along with some other bits and pieces I need.   

13-o.thumb.JPG.bb593fb7fea3da9946a0882c11db2829.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Lookin' good, Mark !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks for the likes and comments.

More progress.   Finished up the stern.  Not real happy and I may tear it out.  The only good thing is that this is hidden on the model.

13-p.thumb.JPG.0339da778949fbf2e92e01f3b2fd03e9.JPG

Mark, head over to here where I've explained my absences and everything else rather than cluttering things hear up a bit: 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A bit of an update....  deck planking is down, the seats are in place and some visible boo-boos have been fixed.   I still have to oarlocks, cannon posts, and the sheave on the stern.  Overall, I'm happy.   A few things I'm not thrilled about but....  we'll see when I'm done with this. 

I'm not sure where that black line across the last photo came from...  

13-q.thumb.JPG.2897f43e37443b71fed76bb757dfe06d.JPG

13-r.thumb.JPG.87359143eb2a5320d6f0764a49352cc9.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sam,

They were small cannon (1 pdr's I think) for shore landings and also during battle to keep "the other side" from using there boats to board the ship.  I've not found a whole lot of info them other than the plans and some comments about how many a frigate would carry and their purpose.   The long boat was the only ship's boat that had these mounts.

The long boat was used for "heavy" work such as working the anchor (thus the sheave on the rear),  transferring casks of water, wine, food, and also moving crew members from ship to shore and vise versa.

The next size up is the "barge".  Smaller but used for personal and small caskets.

Then the smallest which is the "cutter" which was basically the Captain's Gig or Officer's Gig.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sam, 

Those posts were used for daisy cutters as the were called. (a name hard to remember: swivel guns ... gosh I'm getting old)

Check your lens Mark!

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

"Daisy cutters?"  I didn't know that.  Seems like an unlikely name for a gun on a boat though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Gidday all.

Mark I like your work. Is that black line a hair?

I thought a "Daisy Cutter"  was an aerial bomb that detonates above ground.

Maybe I misunderstand the term, it would not be the first time.

Maybe some more knowledgeable members can enlighten me.

All the best,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

No... it's a line from the drawing program I use to edit and size my photos.  <sigh> I try to do better. <hangs head>

I thought daisy cutters were that also.  They were also artillery shells (mortars I think) with an extension the fuse so they exploded at about knee height.  I'm doing a bit of Googling and not finding anything other than bombs and artillery shell.   Nothing nautical though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Fantastic work Mark,

im unable to find any ref to Daisy Cutter in relation to yr build

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Daisy cutters were a nickname for aerial bombs fitted with fuse extenders, usually 3 feet long. Aerial bombs would normally penetrate the earth and throw up assorted debris with their usual fusing. Putting extenders on them made them better for anti-personnel use, since they'd explode above the ground.  I'd imagine the small cannons on a ship's boat would load rounds of grapeshot or similar anti-personnel loads. Grape was a pretty big slug. Eventually, shrapnel and canister shells were developed with smaller individual pellets.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Mark,

in reference to the swivels, I too found it difficult to find specific reference to how they were mounted.  I have plenty of original info that they were used.  Especially for shore work, cutting out expeditions, boarding parties, native attacks etc.

I did find one blueprint in the NMM that appears to show a swivel mount.  Located centrally up forward.  I chose to model something similar on my 18th century longboat as fitted out on a merchantman in the 1790s during the PNW fur trade. I took into consideration that the weight of the swivels on the gunwale would have made the boat lean to one side or another unless they were balanced on both sides.  Another reason I mounted it centrally was to allow a clear sweep forward. Perhaps the pictures will give you some ideas how you will want to mount yours.  

407ACBC6-125B-416B-9AF1-AC0525831B17.thumb.jpeg.674bea4fe95df54c3db9046b60e490dc.jpeg

06D50A46-28CF-4CC5-9033-CA7282314131.thumb.jpeg.6793f656fa30cd986c9ad680a0ed61c6.jpeg

944B9CFD-FB4F-4E86-BA7B-1898D5B3AC0C.thumb.jpeg.9f70bddff313f75a11cb04dcbb4cf0ed.jpeg

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Mark,

After a quick check I find the nickname for the one pounder  :pirate41:in the 1800s was called by the British an insurance cannon and was a falconet, according to Wipedia believe you were looking for something more apropos  like stinging bee, little killer, or a solid shot enema for those trying to board from  longboats.

I'm sure this is not what you were looking for but threw it out there anyway.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.