Archival Ink Pen Question

I've read of a few people that use an archival ink pen to simulate the caulking between planks and it looks really good. My question is do you still color the sides of the planks before you glue them as you would a pencil or do you just fill in the lines after the planking is finished? Thank-you!

I've read of a few people that use an archival ink pen to simulate the caulking between planks and it looks really good. My question is do you still color the sides of the planks before you glue them as you would a pencil or do you just fill in the lines after the planking is finished? Thank-you!

Do ONE side of the plank and ONE butt join BEFORE you glue them in. Make sure the EDGE of the plank is smooth by lightly sanding out any lumps and bumps before applying the ink.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Archival means PH neutral or at least no acids. Over time (years) acid will attack the surface that was treated. Artists use archival papers, mat board etc. so their paintings will last. It is the ink that you use that should be archival or there are archival markers available at art supply stores and web sites.  I think you would be fine with a good quality ink. I used magic marker on deckboards 30 years ago and there is no sign of failure of the materials or glue.

Try an art supplies store if there is one in your area or try the www.DickBlick.com art supplies web site or www.Jerrysartarama.com They both cater to artists.

www.dickblick.com/markers/archival

This is the one I use. It's a "Brush" width, and I use the side of the pen rather than the tip. The Sakura should work fine also :

Archival Ink Pen.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I have used felt tip pens without any problems. Make sure when drawing the line on the edge of the plank, it is drawn lightly, or the line will be too wide.

Montani semper liberi  Happy modeling

Crackers   :P

No way a "normal" felt pen will work Crackers. Apart from what Druxey mentioned about the color fading as soon as you put PVA anywhere near it, it will bleed and stain the timber :huh:  .

Cheers, Danny

We'll I tried my pens on a couple of planks to see the results and Danny was spot on. The brush tip was much easier to control on the side of a thin plank and by doing just one side of two boards butted up to each other a very scale appearance of caulking is produced.