MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

I carefully reduced the thickness of the complete grating to just over 1mm using a mini sanding disc in my Proxxon IB/e.The grating was then wetted and clamped to a plywood former with slightly more than the required radius.The Ebony frame was then assembled around the grating using 30min epoxy.

After leaving overnight to dry,everything was sanded back to the required shape and size.The final two pics show the grating slotted in place on the deck.Final gluing will not happened until all 'treenailing' and sanding has been carried out.

A change of direction now as work is going to concentrate on Royal Caroline's guns.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-85539600-1419342901_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-11708800-1419342904_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-74772600-1419342905_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-51321200-1419342907_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-51331100-1419342909_thumb.jpg

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thank you very much indeed John :blush: It did test my patience to the max and cost three broken drills :rolleyes: However,now the learning curve is complete,hopefully things will be a little more straightforward as I have another seven or eight to make for the whole model :o

Kind Regards

Nigel

As Sjors said...WOW.  I think your in the running for the words best model grating.  Just amazing detail!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Gorgeous looking grating Nigel - that is particularly well done. Very impressive!

Beautiful grate and coamings.   I like the ebony look for the coamings as it makes the grates jump out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you very much Mark :) The contemporary model of her has black combings and waterways on the maindeck,I have chosen to follow this,but extend it to the gundeck combings.I am also considering making the bitts and capstans from ebony.

Merry Christmas(actually xmas day here now :D )

Nigel

I felt the need to post some pics to celebrate the completion of the gundeck 'treenailing'.The aft section still needs sanding smooth and I will then apply a coat of thinned poly to protect the deck during future work.A rough count up shows well in excess of 3000 fixings :o Some sanity has been retained thanks to the music of Vangelis and Hans Zimmer ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-26330500-1419896761_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-08082900-1419896763_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-62338100-1419896764_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-09089600-1419896766_thumb.jpg

Sanity and our craft do not go together. Amazing work by you and we are all mad as maggots :D!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

The amount of work you have put into this is awe inspiring! What material did you use for treenailing the deck? Was it a contrasting wood, or did you use brass? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Nigel, great work! I have to say though, don't we all have to be sane to start with if our sanity would be retained? LOL If you ask my admiral, she would tell you that we're all insane for this hobby.  :P

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Nigel.. I'd give my Right Arm to be Ambidextrous ...  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  ^_^

Eamonn

PS I'm one of those 'Ambi's' too..  :rolleyes:

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Gosh,many thanks everyone :blush:  :blush: I will post some pics when sanded and a coat of varnish has been applied.It will give a better indication of the finished process.

The 'treenails' are from soft copper wire Keith.The product I use is designed for electronics and armature winding.I have used brass in the past,but it is a VERY hard slog sanding it flush.I know Alex Banarov uses brass,but he snips the brass off proud and then dresses it flush using a hammer.His models are typically twice the size of mine,I don't fancy hammer wielding on a model of this size.Not only that,but I feel the copper provides a very subtle contrast to the pear,it only really stands out when the light catches it at a certain angle.It will provide a stark contrast against the Ebony sections,but that is the appearance I am after.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have fully sanded the deck smooth.After this,the deck was wiped with an extremely diluted mix of Liver of sulpur gel,http://www.metalclay.co.uk/patinas/,thiswas to take the shine off the copper,rather than turn it black,which a stronger mix would have done.It has removed the shine and darkened the copper ever so slightly.So far two coats of poly have been applied and the deck has been rubbed down ready for the third.

Happy New Year everyone :)

Nigel

post-1641-0-73006200-1420123986_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-67444700-1420123988_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-17943400-1420123990_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-73941200-1420123991_thumb.jpg

Nigel !!

Yet again ... stunning !!

I would never have contemplated washing the planking with LoS ... I would've thought that stuff would eat the wood.

Most definitely one for the memory bank. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy