MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

NIgel,

Always a pleasure for the eyes looking in on your builds. This one in particular has spectacular woods, as has been noted. You so captured the nuances of the shades.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Gosh,over 5 months since I posted on here!!

Over the past couple of months no progress has been made but I have had the opportunity to do a great deal of thinking.My new position at work is taking all my time leaving me realistically Sunday to do what I want.Money wise,I certainly can't grumble but it does mean my modelling time has drastically been reduced.

I basically need to take stock and reassess many of the projects I have on the go.I am going to continue with Mordaunt but need to take a change of direction.To carry on as is would result in many years work at the rate I am going coupled with the fact there are a few small details I am unhappy with.I believe that to move the model back in the direction of the stock kit will bring back the enjoyment into the build.I had previously set my bar so high,I worry carrying on will result in frustration at not being able to make anything in the way of progress.

There will be some minor detail changes to the stock kit,mainly around the windows and a change in timber for the topside planking,but in the majority I am going to use as many kit parts as possible.It does build into a nice model out of the box and I found one on the net that won a gold medal in the Czechoslovakian championships with minimal  changes.

Currently I am reviewing the drawings and Pete's interpretive files to establish how the changes I have made already impact the fit of the kit stern etc.So far everything looks like it will fit as intended,I have to console myself that all the additional work has resulted in a superior foundation for the main deck and hull planking.At least I will only have one layer of hull planking to fit after completion of hull fairing.

Royal William may be shelved until retirement or if my circumstances change in the distant future,you never know I may even buy the kit and graft the prow I made into that build,but that is something for another day :rolleyes:

I am not too sure when the next update will be,but will no doubt be when I have turned the build around a little in the direction I want to head ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

As much as we wish it didn't at times, life and work and family come first.  It always seems like new jobs eat up all the time available, doesn't it?  The wood is patient, right?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark and Matti :) Yes I do enjoy my new position although some nights when things don't go to plan and I pull my hair out,I question why I applied for the position :D .

I feel happier in myself that I have a clear 'vision' for this model and although I will be using the kit castings,I feel the small changes and the choice of timbers should produce something unique.I am keeping it under wraps for now :D things will be revealed as I progress ;) .

I even toyed with fitting the kit 'dummy' cannons but as I have a full lower deck,reasoned this was a step too far back.Complete cannon assemblies have now been ordered.They won't be rigged as I am now fully planking the decks,but do look better when viewed through the gunports.

My game plan is to sort the transom framing out and dowelling for these cannon carriages,then bond in the deck beams.I should then be able to progress with the hull planking ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Life unfortunately gets in the way of our hobbies; but the challenge is always to get some balance back. I reckon you're doing the right thing by moving back to the more original kit type approach, particularly if it means that you can balance all your projects better.

I wish you well and I look forward to you being able to update us when you're able to.

All the best!

Patrick

Hi Nigel,

I think we all struggle with finding a good work-life balance at times...I certainly do, especially whenever I ramp up on a new project. Whatever changes you decide to make in the end, I know your Mordaunt will continue to be a spectacular build.

So, like everyone else, I will just wait patiently to enjoy your next update.  :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thank you Patrick and Nigel :) In fact,thanks to everyone again who has commented or hit the like button.Your support and understanding has made me feel comfortable with decision.I think I need to be realistic and put the quest for historical exactness and fully framed builds on hold till I retire :rolleyes: Just get back to basics and enjoy this great hobby for what it is,I no longer have the freetime to take things as seriously as I have been doing and actually complete something in a realistic timeframe.

Far too many models I wish to make,infact I just bought some plans for a vessel the other day :D They had to go in the stash as the kit manufacturer has gone down the pan due to fire,but if I do build her it will be in a decent scale to match Chris Watton's Victory.The kit was pretty bang on for authenticity,Mamoli just got the date and history wrong :D Do also wonder whether she is supposedly the vessel featured in Les Miserables as she was indeed wrecked in drydock :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have had a bit of an eye opener.Whilst 'mocking up my stern to see how the Quarter gallery castings match up to the transom,I had a bit of a shock.What appears to be one single casting is around seventeen individual pieces hand riveted together!!!!That care and attention to detail I find astounding in the kit market.To think I was going to discard the castings :o  :o  :o .

Pictures to follow tomorrow to illustrate the point.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Just a couple of pics to illustrate the multipiece casting approach I mentioned earlier.The cast rivets can be seen on the inside although not as clear as in real life as the peening marks can be made out.Yes I have a solution for the windows,like I say all will be revealed in due course ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-95453600-1435168539_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-89589400-1435168541_thumb.jpg

Nigel,

Your build logs have been missed, very nice that you will again spend some time back in your shipyards.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you Michael :) Work may still be in fits and starts over the next few months but hopefully things should settle down by Christmas ;)

A few pics.I have started to assemble the transom support work to reflect the kit's drawings.Not a great deal of changes required as I hadn't go as far as extending the hull sides to accommodate the overhanging upper deck and balcony.This is one area where I will be deviating from the kits design,mainly for ease of construction.There is supposed to be a piece of curved ply on the transom face with a large casting bonded on top featuring the windows.Careful study of the casting has made me realise there is an easier approach as I want my windows opening out instead of painted on.

Plan is to remove the vertical carved detail from the casting and bond it on afterwards.Also planking straight on to the framework makes the stern counter transition easier to accomplish as both faces will be covered by the same thickness material.The counter is carved from a solid block in the kit but I would like to have the option of having the gunports open.

I have started the transom framework paying attention that the vertical members fall centrally behind the window pillars and carvings.Epoxy and copper pinning has been used as this needs to be solid before I finish fairing the hull.Once this is complete I will move to the counter framing which will double as lining for the four stern chasers.Then,finally I came shape the round tuck and get rid of that square end to the filler blocks :D

Other conclusions have been drawn now I have the armament for my lower deck,but will cover these when I get to that stage,too much for one post :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-54481400-1435242467_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-57777400-1435242469_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-63391000-1435242471_thumb.jpg

I had a bit of a 'late one' last night.Far to late to spark the saw up so I decided I would produce a 'prototype' window to prove my plans would work.The frame was made out of 0.8mm square box strip sanded a little further to reduce it's size.I managed to produce half lap joints using a sharp scalpel and jewellers file.I was keen to do this because otherwise the glazing bars never seem to line through no matter how hard you try.

The casting has been cut out and the back heavily reduced in thickness with a burr to thin out where the window will fit.

The frame was then bonded with a bead of CA around it's perimeter to a piece of mica.Matt poly has the then been applied ensuring a meniscus was formed inside the individual panes.As ever,a picture explains a thousand words,to be continued once the varnish has hardened off ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-24764100-1435408833_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-80279300-1435408834_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-04828900-1435408836_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-46242700-1435408837_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-77805400-1435408838_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Hi Nigel,

Lovely work as always!

Did you use a jig to ensure such great alignment of the lap joints to form the panes?

Asking as one of my next jobs is to build some windows to replace some questionable cast ones so any tips you can share would really help me!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

good work Nigel,

you sure are upgrading that kit (quarter Badge) window, looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Nigel and Nils :)

No secret jig for this one Nigel,just patience,frustration and very tired eyes :D I will post some stage pics when I do the other side,I just wanted to check it was feasible before taking loads of pics.There are a couple of useful techniques I will illustrate that may help,but everything was based on cutting the half lap joints accurately to set the sizes of the panes.These two windows are more forgiving as I have flexibility on the overall dimension.The TEN!!!! windows on the transom will be less so as overall size and the fact they have to all line through should provide some entertainment!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Wonderful... just wonderful, Nigel.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)