MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

As work is moving well on the construction of my Caroline build,preliminary work is now starting on my next'bill paying' project.This is based on the Euromodel kit,but it is my intention to push the boundaries of what can be achieved with a kit.I shall be using construction techniques for the hull that have been developed by myself,specifically for this build.The completed model shall include the following details;

1/hull planking in boxwood and ebony

2/hull planking omitted between the upper wales with false boxwood frames,this is a feature on quite a few Navy board models which I am quite fond of and an alternative from a fully framed build.

3/Full hull interior,lower gun deck upwards,with planking sections omitted on the upper decks for viewing the interior.

4/Remodelling of the stern to replicate the drawing by Van de Velde the Elder.

This project will be a 'slow burn' until Caroline is finished,but I am starting this log now to avoid missing anything as work progresses.I am trying to avoid starting another log with a planked hull :D  :D

Some photos to wet your appetite

post-1641-0-13004700-1391086804_thumb.jpg

The box,rather heavy,given it's size

post-1641-0-47025500-1391086863_thumb.jpg

Mordaunt by Van de Velde the elder

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Matti

Yes she will be natural wood.I am hoping the only paint used will be to make her look old.The task is made easier by the fact the only colour is black as I don't think I will be going for the Red on the internal planking.However if I did,this would only be on the upper deck,as according to my research,Deptford where she was built had a habit of using unseasoned timber to speed up production.They didn't paint the inside walls of the hull in an attempt to let the timber breath.This didn't work and they soon had lot's of ships with rotten hulls!!!.

Yes I have plenty on and starting another log next week as well  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D That is for me though :) .That will bring my log count up to four,probably some sort of record :D  :D Caroline has moved on a lot this week but I will update probably at the weekend.I am working on five different things at once to combat drying times :huh: So I will take some pics when it comes together.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

As I am organised for a change,I can provide pics of the box contents including one of the rather substantial exemplary drawings.The only thing not pictured is the false keel,one sheet of laser cut ply,a few assorted laser cut items and some blocks of wood.There is not massive amounts of laser cut plywood parts like other manufacturers,it is down to the builder to fashion parts from solid wood

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-10050700-1391091746_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-05335000-1391091715_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-44124300-1391091666_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-54937700-1391091682_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-50027900-1391091765_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

I am going to try and get technical now and provide text with each picture :D  :D

The first step is to copy the drawings regarding the bulkheads.This is due to the between deck areas not be cut out from the factory.These were pasted to the relevant bulkheads to allow cutting out with the scrollsaw.Some areas were not shown,mainly the first and last bulkhead which will require some drafting to get the cutouts.

post-1641-0-90285900-1391093989_thumb.jpg

The design of the kit intends for a 3mm by 7mm stringer to be fitted each side of the hull.This stringer does not coincide with anything and to a certain extent will be in my way,so the bulkhead notches were filled with scrap timber.

post-1641-0-31977200-1391094026_thumb.jpg

These are pictures of the skeleton so far.You will notice I have cut my own notches out on the lower deck.These are for 5mm square stringers supplied by me.These provide support for the lower gundeck,which is the only deck that will have a plywood subdeck.The plywood additions to the structure are to incorporate dimensional stability and resistance to twisting.The triangle design makes the skeleton rigid,it is impossible to twist it for and aft.The lower hull will be infilled with lime wood.This triangular structure reduces the wood required and also prevents any distortion that can occur due to the moisture from the glue when fitting the infill.                                                                                                                                                              post-1641-0-28399800-1391094107_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-32108500-1391093969_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-48081000-1391094072_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-40700500-1391094054_thumb.jpg                                                    

That brings things up to date for the time being.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Hi Nigel, I am looking forward to watching this build, sounds like you have given yourself a lot of extra work, in a good way though!

The exposed frames between the wales sounds like a nice detail and it will be good to see how you go about creating the new stern.

Good Luck!

M.

Thank you,yes this is one of my larger projects :D I like the exposed frame detail on the builder's models between the wales and I feel will complement the areas of open decks.In defense,Euromodels just simplified the stern arrangement by making it flat,the original incorporated a lower balcony,so I am hoping this will not necessitate loads of major surgery to the hull,with the majority of work confined to the upper transom.The side galleries are also incorrect,but again this is a case of discarding the kit one piece castings and scratchbuilding the details.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks Mij,I thought this might be up your street.I was originally planning on scratch building Lennox next,but due to the extensive development work required,that has been put on hold for now.Richard Endsor's 'restoration warship' book is an excellent read though and provides a very big insight into construction of the period.It will prove invaluable in filling in a few gaps in Euromodels' drawings.For whatever reason they provide a longitudinal section through and sections at a couple of stations but no deck top elevations at the various internal levels

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Thanks Brian.Yes I have a rather large stash of boxwood and ebony in hand now for this build.Yes I will replicate the scarphs on keel and prow and the rudder will be a multipiece affair.I would say though,if ever a kits material would come close to me using it,it would be this one.The quality of the walnut is beyond reproach and anyone considering this kit,but wanting to use the walnut would be more than happy.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel

I'll be keeping up with this log. I like this ship and your enhancements sound like they'll be a treat to watch. I'm sure there was a log for Mordaunt on the old MSW site by a Swedish builder - a very nice build - but it doesn't seem to have been reloaded.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Alistair,yes I understand there was a log on the old site.There are some pics of a fully framed build on shipmodeling.net.I have found one or two builds on the net,but as a whole it seems to be a very unrepresented ship.That is a plus for me,I would rather do something a little different and agree she is a very fine vessel from my favourite period. :)

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel

I just found his pictures on the Euromodel website in the customers build section. He used the member name "murphys77" on MSW V1. Indeed a fine model and a fine ship.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Oops :huh: that makes me a dummy!

Murphys77 - we like your ship please reload your log of it.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Nigel,

Is it ok that i grab a seat and watch how you brings this to an end ?

Anja loves this ship and I have to say....I agree with her.

I watch Murphy when he was doing his and he makes a great job of it.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

This looks like an interesting build to follow Nigel - think I'll pull up a seat too! Move over Sjors, and pass the popcorn please. :)

Hi Nigel.

Looks a fine ship and with your quality of bashing it well turn out to be an exptional build.

Got my chair..IPad fully charged.. GO.

You got my interest and attention.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

This looks like an interesting build to follow Nigel - think I'll pull up a seat too! Move over Sjors, and pass the popcorn please. :)

Thanks Grant,your are welcome to follow along,there will be one or two tricks nobody has seen before ;) I am afraid I won't be participating with the Popcorn,I am determined to loose a few more pounds before the cycling season starts :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel.

Looks a fine ship and with your quality of bashing it well turn out to be an exptional build.

Got my chair..IPad fully charged.. GO.

You got my interest and attention.

Regards Antony.

Thank you very much indeed Antony for your kind words :) I agree,I think she is a lovely vessel,I really am surprised that their are so few models made of her.Prince of 1670 seems to be the popular choice for the period,but I am prepared to wait and see what Chris Watton comes up with,before I tackle her.

Kind Regards Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Ok then,I thought I would take the opportunity of waiting for glue to dry and upload some more pics.

I was not happy with my original strategy for the topsides as I thought in the long run it would be more work.The tops of the bulkheads have been replaced with solid Pear to a more authentic profile.These can be integrated in the topside framing detail,whereas the ply would have needed replacing later.The ply deck beams were inconsequential,I only left them in place as temporary braces.An authentic deck construction will be used gun deck upwards when I get to that stage.These pear extensions have been fitted with brass dowels epoxied in.The extensions have also been tweeked to allow for single planking.The remaining section of the bulkheads have been 'banded' with 1.5mm lime strip to compensate for single planking.I have incorporated a small section of orlop deck in front of the mizzen step as a ladder runs down here.There is also one right at the bow which will result in a significant amount of work in this area.I am leaving this until the 'donkey' work is complete on the rest of the hull as it will involve removing considerable amounts of material from the false keel.As you may have noticed the lower hull is filled with limewood.This is to provide substantial support to the single planking and is a good aid as this is one of the most complex shaped hulls I have worked on.The area where the pear frames meet the deck is a crucial point.The sheer on the outer edge has to be perfect as everything will be measured from here.This is the reason for setting 6mm lime sections in around the perimeter.It ensures the ply subdeck will conform to exactly the right profile.One section is clamped in place while the glue dries.I have clamps ranging from 20p up to £95 but sometimes the easiest solutions are the best :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-20631900-1392043839_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-50117500-1392043863_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-55362700-1392043886_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-66413200-1392043908_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-96499600-1392043930_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-68126100-1392043947_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-42742600-1392043975_thumb.jpg