How To : Add Pictures in your Posts and PMs

How To Add Pictures in your Posts and PMs

1. Open the Edit Box by clicking the "Edit" at the bottom of the Post :

pics1.jpg

2. Click on the "Full Editor" button :

pics2.jpg

3. Click on the "Choose Files" button :

pics3.jpg

This will open a Dialog Box to your Computer Files. Select the picture file you want to add and click "Save" (or "Open") to upload the picture.

4. Place the Cursor where you want the picture added. You can use the Icons (circled) to position it on the line :

pics5.jpg

5. Click on the "Add to Post" text under the Thumbnail of the picture. This adds the Attachment Code into the message at the position you selected :

pics4.jpg

6. You can add more Text after the picture if you want, or add more pictures (limit of 8 per Post).

pics7.jpg

7. Click on the "Submit" button. You can use the "Preview" button to make sure your layout is OK before clicking Submit. If you need to Edit your Post again simply restart the process by clicking on "Edit" again. You MUST use the "Full Editor" to post extra Pictures.

pics6.jpg

A view of the completed Post with Text and Picture Added :

pics8.jpg

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS TUTORIAL IS FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF MSW AND NO LONGER WORKS AS DESCRIBED. AN UPDATED VERSION WILL BE POSTED SHORTLY.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Dan. I tried this and it works. I was getting nowhere before. Of course I was able to add pictures with the Attach File but did not realize that you can than also insert this in the text section.

Note to Ray. You have to type text first, then insert the picture as Dan showed. Then you can add text underneath the picture you just inserted and continue with more text after (perhaps) hitting the enter key.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

continue with more text after (perhaps) hitting the enter key.

Hitting the Enter key while you are in the Edit Box will send the Cursor down one line - it's a good idea to leave at least one blank line between your Text and the Picture, otherwise the Text can look "crowded" with the picture.

Play around a bit with the Formatting Icons until you are happy with the way it looks.

Using the "Preview" button shows how the Post will look before it's Submitted, but some of the Text may be Justified slightly differently.

Your Post can be Edited at any time if you find you've made a mistake (spelling, layout or other) - Just use the Edit button at the bottom, as shown in the 1st pic of the main Post above.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Just to try this let me do the following:

post-246-0-89882300-1361319102.jpg

Our hero

Then there are some of us who were confused:

post-246-0-62500100-1361319172.jpg

Hero number two.

End of try.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Thanks for providing this, Danny.  I'm sure it will help a lot of folks.

In step 3, in the dialog box that pops up, it is possible to select multiple pictures for uploading in one pass, either a list of sequential files by clicking the first file in the list, them pressing the Shift key while clicking on the last file in the list, or by holding the Ctrl button and clicking on individual files in the list.  I don't know what the limit is, I have done as many as 6 in one pass.

This is one more advancement of the new MSW over the old, and I like it a lot! :dancetl6:

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Check here.....the question was asked already...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/279-size-of-photos/

Please read through all of the topic titles in this forum first before you post the question again.   :)  :)  :)  :)

Thanks

Peter,

Check out this topic.  It works very well.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/718-adding-photos-to-private-message/

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Has anyone figured out how to add .jpg photos... files to PM's? Not doing very well here with the new MSW website :unsure:

Peter

Peter,

Basically the same way as posts.  Except hit the "Use Full Editor" button.  You'll see the "Attach Files" down to the left.

Here's the discussion on PM's: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/718-adding-photos-to-private-message/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dan

Now I know how to make my log look better with explanations of the photos.

I'm using Spectrum and I don't seem to see an Edit button at all, but I do have Post and More Reply Options. I used More Reply Options and it worked just fine. The only edit button I see is after I make a post, I have an option to edit if I want to. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Folks, my issue is a little different.  When at home using Win7 and IE 9, no problems.  At work (shhh! don\'t tell the boss :)) I have XP and IE 8.x.  At work, the editor selects the font size for my posts at random.  Unless I keep a close eye on it the text will be shown from anything between 14 point or 6 point, bullted, supscript or subscript - Microsoft (or the board) simply decides what it would like to use -- hence the large number of edited posts I have when i go back to fix them :)

It seems to be a compatibility issue between our current forum editor  and XP and/or IE 8.x

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat,

It's due to XP and IE8   Actually, I think part or most of the problem is with IE8.  I saw some weird behaviors before upgrading my work computer (Win7) to IE9.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

I think I just found a bug...  My Win7 PC was "updated" (thanks Microsloth) to IE 10... now pictures don't upload.   I'm rolling back to IE9.

Edit:  Rolled back... IE9 is also freezing when uploading pictures.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Down load to your pc, I like to open things in paint then I use a program called paint.net, you can use any one of a dozen or more photo software programs, then upload to site.

Edited by Billl

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

People are going to find that there are a lot of problems with IE 10, if it updated on you and all of a sudden you can not upload the pictures, then that is the problem you roll back to IE 9 and you should be all right again. I am using Firefox 19.0.2 and I am not having any problems. IE has other problems also, so do yourself a favor and don't update IE. Just my option and 2 cents, before the penny is not more.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Peter,

Basically the same way as posts.  Except hit the "Use Full Editor" button.  You'll see the "Attach Files" down to the left.

Here's the discussion on PM's: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/718-adding-photos-to-private-message/

I had trouble as well but figured out a work around.  If you have a Google account or photo bucket or some other website you post photo's on right click and choose copy image URL.  Then in the PM click the Image link that is right below the smiley face.  It will ask for the URL, paste the image url and click ok.  The image will appear wherever your cursor is.  This works for posting images to posts as well.  It's how I post emoticons most of the time.

1sm449sailing.gif

• 2 weeks later...

When I was posting pictures to my site I received the following message.. ".Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to"   Since I have not finished posting the pics I'd like to what can I do to be allowed to continue?

Jerry

You can only post up to 10 images in each post.

That is the maximum in each post.

Chuck

Speaking of adding photos: I think the quality of a lot of the photos I see could be improved with some really easy steps that can be taken on the day a modeler takes the photos. Consider that the photos posted HERE represent the only view most of the world is ever likely to get of your model, so why not take the best possible photo? WHAT IS BEHIND THE MODEL? We shouldn’t even have a clue. Drape some neutral fabric behind the model to block the view of your living room or workbench. A white sheet should be your last choice as the white, in my opinion, is too stark and tends to make the photo look like a mug shot. Still, a piece of plywood, a blank wall or a white sheet is better than your living room, against which very little of the rigging is going to be visible. Even fabric can be a bit wrong since if it has even one wrinkle in it, it will draw your eye. The best choice, in my opinion, is some grey or tan colored paper. But if you have a larger model this will be difficult. At the very least, put the model against a blank wall in your home when you take the photo. DON’T USE THE CAMERAS FLASH. This lends a stark “mug shot” aspect to the photo as the harsh flash eliminates all shadows. Subtly curved surfaces appear flat under the cameras flash. Textured surfaces appear smooth. Better to set up one two or three table lamps off to one side of the model and out of view of the camera. Take the shade off the lamps. In this way the light strikes your model from the side and brings out all the detail and textures. Curved shapes (like the hull itself) will have their subtleties revealed by the light and shadow. Not using the flash necessitates some other precautions though, since in lower light the camera has to take a longer exposure and this means the camera has to be absolutely immobile, you can’t hold it in your hand to take the shot. I stack up some books to the right height and put the camera on the books. Even pressing the button on the camera will cause the camera to jiggle slightly and blur the photo. Use the cameras Self Timer to trigger the photo, that way the camera is as still as possible since you are not touching the camera when it triggers.  In my opinion the very worst scenario is taking a flash photo of a model in a glass case with the living room visible in the background. The flash bounces right off the glass and there is a big white spot in the center of the photo and off in the back I see a couch. At the very least you should, in my opinion, take the model out of the case.

Niagara USS Constitution 

• 2 months later...

I have just started my build log of a model in progress.  I want to add images to my blog but and totally baffled as to how it is done.

The first statement in these instructions is:

1. Open the Edit Box by clicking the "Edit" at the bottom of the Post :

Yet there is NO Edit box and the bottom of my post.

Can someone supply me with a set of instructions on how to attach a photo of my model to my blog?

Thanks.

(NOTE:  There is no Edit Box at the bottom of this post.)

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Actually there is and "Edit" Box on the post, but only after it has been posted.  Does that mean that you post the text, and then edit the post to add the images?

Thanks.

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Ken there should be a more reply options on the bottom right of the reply box next to the post button.

the window will reload with the reply box at the top of the page and a bit below you will see an attach files button

Edited by Adrieke

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Thanks.  That should work.  I do have the "More Reply Options" box.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild