How To : Add Pictures in your Posts and PMs

Waaaaay back in Feb, 2013, Crackers asked:

I had problems trying to post a video for the Forum. Do I follow the same procedure as photographs ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Montani semperliberi.  Happy modeling to all and every one of you.

Crackers      :piratetongueor4::dancetl6:

And, tonight, whilst wanting to know exactly the same thing myself, I was just wondering ...

Is anybody planning to answer poor Crackers' question ... ever ??

:cheers:  

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

We have a topic about 'How to embed YouTube or other videos .....' http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3479-question-how-to-embed-youtube-or-other-videos-in-forum-post/?hl=video#entry97293

And some information here as well: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1822-youtube/?hl=video

Hope this helps.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am having problems adding pictures to a PM. Every time I add a picture to a PM about an inch on the left side of my screen is cut off. I have manipulated the screen every way I know how but I can`t get the left side back. Also when that happens all  the posts under that subject have the left side cut off. If I start a new subject with text only it looks normal. Adding pictures to a build log also look normal. The pictures are only about 350kb. I am using Vista & Chrome. Everything else on the site works normally.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Windows Vista, Mark?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Check the Google Chrome forums.  I didn't thing Chrome was compatible with anything earlier than Win7.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pop one my way, Mark.  I'm curious.   I use Win7 with IE, Chrome, and Firefox.   Various browsers for various purposes...   ;)  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Chrome works on my ancient Windows XP :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Normally, attached images were shown in-message at a reduced size; you click on then and they show to fit the screen or full-sze in a "light-box" display; but for a few months now, they show in-message at the large size instead of reduced.  I can't find that this is account of my preferences or something of that sort - did the forum software change recently?

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

Normally, attached images were shown in-message at a reduced size; you click on then and they show to fit the screen or full-sze in a "light-box" display; but for a few months now, they show in-message at the large size instead of reduced.  I can't find that this is account of my preferences or something of that sort - did the forum software change recently?

Chuck changed the preview size on the admin side. 

Edited by GuntherMT

• 5 weeks later...

I tried to add pictures to a new build log I wanted to start.  Every time I tried to add the pictures it looked like they were downloading fine but then I got an "Error 500" message telling me the download was aborted.  I made sure the file sizes were under the max but other than that I'm not sure why this is happening.  I was hoping someone can help me fix this.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

It's not just file size but also the image size in pixels that matters.   As I recall it's set to 1200 X 1600.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It's not just file size but also the image size in pixels that matters.   As I recall it's set to 1200 X 1600.

My testing shows that it's just '1600x' on the long side.  I've posted a few almost full square 1600x1600 images (off by a few pixels).  File size maximum of 2mb.

Hi Brian:

A while back you told me about the advanced uploader and I tried it.  I was able to use it successfully for a couple of weeks, but then it stopped working and I had to go back to the basic uploader - one photo at a time. 

I'm a Mac user and prefer to use Safari.  I've tried updating Flash in Safari several times, to no avail.  Today I decided to try Firefox from Mazilla and the advanced uploader worked fine.

If anyone reading this topic is also a Mac user but is able to use the advanced uploader in Safari I'd like to hear from you so I can learn if there are any other settings needed in Safari for the advanced uploader to work.

It seems to change with versions Frank.  I used to use Firefox on Windows and then it stopped working so I switched to Chrome.  It worked fine, but for at least one update of Chrome, it stopped working.  I think it has to do with a browser update breaking Flash (or vs. versa) and until whichever one got broken by the other's update gets around to fixing it, you just have to switch browsers for a while.  Luckily Chrome has been working well for over a year now without any problems *knocks on wood*.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having trouble uploading using the advanced upload,

I have the latest version of flash and am using the latest version of Firefox

The basic works but is a pain to have to go through so many steps

Help Please

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

It doesn't work for me either.  I suspect that the problem is the latest version of Flash.  I wouldn't try to roll back to an earlier version as Flash is rated as one of the most insecure pieces of software ever.  So the more it's been patched (the later the version) the better.

Note I'm running Win7 and now use Chrome as IE11 has issues with MSW.  I also do NOT have Flash on any of the computers here at home... just too risky and it is being phased out by Firefox and Chrome around the end of the year.  I've not heard when MS will phase Flash out of IE.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark.

I just removed it I only installed it to use the bulk upload, Perhaps Admin will find a different solution than Flash 9.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

There is a great free software for resizing batches of pictures at one and the same time.

Try this one, it's been around for a long time.

FastStone Picture Resizer.

Go to the Cnet.com, then open the dropbox download and search for the program.

Now the size i.e 1600x1200 doesn't mean that you will use the whole 2Mb of picture weight.

It all depends on what kind of setting you used with your camera from start.

Just my two cents, :) 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Dr Per

I have no trouble resizing pictures, My issue is with the fact that in order to upload multiple pictures to this site one need to have Flash 9 as the flash version. The single uploads are fine, it is just a more cumbersome way of doing things. I like using IfanView for resizing it does all that I need.

Thanks for the thought though.

Michael

I have had this problem when it comes to uploading pictures to my longboat build log where, I have had some pictures been auto-rotated once the upload is done. Rotating the pictures using editor on my computer doesn't help.

Please take a look at my last input in my longboat build log.

Thank you

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 3 weeks later...

Janet B                                    I have been trying to show pictures of my build.Starting from scratch do i have to put my SD card and download it into my computer,

it sees that my download goes into picture gallery but after that things are going astray.

Edited by Janet B

• 2 months later...

Janet B

I am having problems posting pictures i am being told my pictures are too big.Anyone have ideas.

They must be under about 1600x1200 in resolution, and 2mb in file size.  If you get the resolution down to 1600x1200 the file size is pretty much guaranteed to be small enough, so just use Paint in Window and use the resize option on them.

• 2 weeks later...