How To : Add Pictures in your Posts and PMs

Does anyone remember the link to the free photo editing software that was recommended on MSW 1.0?  I really liked that software because I could set the resolution to be exactly what I needed. 

Thanks in advance,

-Max

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

hi max

paint (windows 7) lets you resize a picture either by percentage or pixels

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

hi max

paint (windows 7) lets you resize a picture either by percentage or pixels

Can you also choose the file size?  That is the other problem I have been running into.

-Max

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

file size depends on the resolution and the compression

i have set my camera to 2 mega pixels which is 1600x1200 pixels. the files are then between 300 and 700KB which i think is big enough to get a detailed enough view

the site lets you upload files up to 2MB so well wihtout the limit

Nice, I just changed my camera setting... hopefully it will be a similar size and not require editing or compression.

-Max

• 3 months later...

Ive noticed that a few members have posted their build log pictures from before the crash and I'd like to resubmitt all my pictures from before as well. So my question is how can I post the dozens of pictures when there is only a 10 picture limit?

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

hello Richard

you l need to submit a post for every 10 pictures

Hi Dan, I am new to this site and having trouble adding pictures to my posts.

I am using Windows 7 and unlike your example, on the bottom right corner all I see is the words 'post" and "More Reply Options"

Can you offer any help

Eric. C

Eric,

Click on "More Reply Options".  That will open the full editor and the "Choose Files" button will appear on the left.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Just recently having a problem getting my photos taken with the camera vertically to load onto my log the right way up.The photo's  in pictures on the computer are the right way up.The only change now is i am using windows 8.thx,ron. 

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

I have been working on my build log by adding photos to the text and everything goes well until I'm finished and I hit the ADD REPLY button and the result are frequently a page saying "This page cannot be displayed". The back arrow brings up the Reply edit screen with all of the text I added is gone. Sometimes the photos are still under the Attach Files button but my reply post is lost.

It is very frustrating to work on a post explaining the latest step in my build and losing it completely. It has made me reluctant to keep adding to the build log.

Rick,

building a King of the Mississippi with a powered paddlewheel.

hello Rick

are you using windows or Mac and can you tell us what version of browser (internet explorer/ safari) you are using ?

Rick,

Make a copy of your post (in Word or Wordpad if using Windows) before hittin REPLY.   Now here's somethings to check:  picture file size, image size, and the number of images being added.    Adrieke has some good questions also,

If you can give more info, we can try help.

Another typical old IT guy type of question...   When did you last reboot?  Is the OS up to date with patches and updates?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Rick,

I just had a look in your Build Log and I think Mark has nailed the problem - your pics are too big to fit more than a couple in each post. Once you go over the Megabyte limit the post won't load. Try down-sizing the picture size and/or resolution, or limit each post to fewer pics.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks for the quick replies from Adrieke, Mark and Chuck. With your collective help we'll get this problem solved.

I am using an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 and IE 10 just reinstalled about 3 months ago. My camera is an older Nikon Coolpix 995 set on normal quality resulting in digital images of 600 to 700 kb. I thought image size (singular) was 2 MB. Is it the sum of all bites from all the photos supposed to be below 2MB?

Rick

Is it the sum of all bites from all the photos supposed to be below 2MB?

Yes.

Don't forget, there's also a 10 pic limit per post.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

umm sorry Danny but look at this post of mine where i have 8 pics of around 450K (so over 3MB)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1555-gorch-fock-by-adrieke-occre-195/?p=121162

umm sorry Danny but look at this post of mine where i have 8 pics of around 450K (so over 3MB)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1555-gorch-fock-by-adrieke-occre-195/?p=121162

Hmmm .... strange that you got away with pics that big Adrieke. Maybe the limit has been upped (and no-one told me :) ).

Cheers, Danny

I tried just now a shorter message with 3 photos and the "page could not be displayed" message came up when I wanted to preview what I had done so far. Maybe something else is going on.

I will try to copy a new post to Word next time before I even before I preview it. A while back I tried selecting the text and by using 'Control C' it should have been put on the clipboard. But after the "pcnbd" message and getting back into MSW the clipboard was empty. :(

Rick

Rick,

Make that "copy,paste, and save".  Just so you don't lose it.   And another old IT guy question:   You're trying to upload .jpg or .jpeg photos and not .tif or something else?

Try a test post of one pic... 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hmmm .... strange that you got away with pics that big Adrieke. Maybe the limit has been upped (and no-one told me :) ).

I always read it that each file could 2MB, with 10 each that would make it 20MB per post  Maybe one of the admins can let us know what the limit is :)

I tried just now a shorter message with 3 photos and the "page could not be displayed" message came up when I wanted to preview what I had done so far. Maybe something else is going on.

I will try to copy a new post to Word next time before I even before I preview it. A while back I tried selecting the text and by using 'Control C' it should have been put on the clipboard. But after the "pcnbd" message and getting back into MSW the clipboard was empty. :(

Rick

I am on win 7/IE 10 also and on rare occasions I have issues but not like you describe. have you got any toolbars like yahoo or Google installed. In the past these could cause a fair bit of issues

Rick,

Adriaan has a good point about toolbars.  I sent you a PM with my email addy to send me some pics and I'll test also.  I'm on Win7, IE10

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks in advance for all your help

I just checked what toolbars I have on this browser. None of them have a check mark by them so they aren't visible. Under View/Toolbars I have listed: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar, Qwest Toolbar, Google Toolbar, ShopatHome.com Toolbar. I don't use them and if they are causing problems tell me how to delete them.

Here is a test photo:

Rick

This message just bombed twice. I am not reinserting the photo but we can try that later - R.

Rick...

Yes, delete them as they are still "active" even in the background.  Goto:  Start-->Control Panel-->Programs and Features.   Once there, look for the toolbars.  Highlight and click on "Uninstall".   You should reboot after removing all of them.

Here's the images you sent me.  It appears that the site automatically resized them to the default 1600 X 1200.

post-76-0-98793700-1384316565_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-82788000-1384316571_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

i hope it works Rick. i am dying to see those paddlewheels spin :)

Rich,

Any luck yet?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Having a problem uploading photo.  Never been an issue before.  The upload seems to be successful but when I hit 'Add to Post' nothing happens.

Ideas?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,

What's the OS and the browser?  What's different?  Toolbars?  Updates?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: