John Alden Sloop by Andrew B - Midwest Products - first build

Hello everyone,

Been lingering on here for a while and it inspired me to get back into building again.

I'll start with a quick introduction, I am in my third year of college studying Naval Achitecture at SUNY Maritime College at fort schuyler. I have been building models my entire life off and on, started out with building plastic models with my dad, then wood boats, rc planes, and now back to boats. When I was 13-14 I had built the Midwest RC Lobster Boat, then I started a constructo HMS Bounty (story for another time), and last year i had built the Midwest Dinghy kit.

post-80-0-20929400-1361335844_thumb.jpg
post-80-0-41812700-1361335872_thumb.jpgpost-80-0-71109400-1361335883_thumb.jpgpost-80-0-89522800-1361335895_thumb.jpgpost-80-0-19777200-1361335906_thumb.jpg

My girlfriend and I usually make each other something for birthdays and valentines day (specially if either of us dont want something specific) and since she has been on a nautical kick lately I figured I would build here a small sailboat model. Having seen Ron's (rlb) excelent finished John Alden Sloop, I figured this would be a great kit for the task. After starting it I realized it is actually quite large, specially the height if the mast. So instead I will be building the Sakonnet Daysailer as a gift and keeping the John Alden Sloop for myself and also working on the peterboro canoe (will start logs for these soon). I intend to modify this kit to be more accurate to scale, using many of the techniques rlb had used. Instead of painting the bottom I am thinking of staining the planking below the waterline in place of bottom paint.
post-80-0-10600700-1361336757_thumb.jpgpost-80-0-84051400-1361336767_thumb.jpg

arranged the planks alternating light and dark for both sides of the hull

post-80-0-16919000-1361336779_thumb.jpg

Sheer Strake glued on, need to line out the hull again to double check my measurements.

post-80-0-66565700-1361336789_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-42947300-1361335853_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrew!

It's great to see another Alden sloop a-building.   Really brings back memories.

Your model building skills definitely look more than equal to the task, but if you have any questions about the sloop, I'm happy to help.  I should have access to my old photos of the build itself, soon.  (They've been trapped on a derelict hard drive).  I wasn't planning on reconstructing the build log, but I can make the photos available to you if you want them.

Good luck!

Ron

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to MSW.  I love the skiff with the lobster pot aboard.  Nice work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Andrew!

It's great to see another Alden sloop a-building.   Really brings back memories.

Your model building skills definitely look more than equal to the task, but if you have any questions about the sloop, I'm happy to help.  I should have access to my old photos of the build itself, soon.  (They've been trapped on a derelict hard drive).  I wasn't planning on reconstructing the build log, but I can make the photos available to you if you want them.

Good luck!

Ron

Hey Ron, glad to see you are following the log. I just need to remember to pace myself and test fit everything 3 times. I catch myself starting to rush every once and a while with anticipation of getting to the end result.

I am curious what size rigging line you used as well as the quage of brass used for the rudder hinges (or was it extra kit wire?)

If you ever get access to the hard drive i would love to see pictures of the step by steps of the smaller details you had in the build log. Like the rudder hinges, block and tackle, and gaff fork. But no rush as it will be quite some time before I am even thinking about those steps.

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to MSW.  I love the skiff with the lobster pot aboard.  Nice work.

Bob

Thanks :) Took way to many coats of polyurethane to get an even glossy finish.

Hello Andrew, and a warm welcome to MSW from 'Down Under'.

Looking forward to following the build of your sloop!

John

Thank you, bear with me as progress will be slow. Between work ,school, and commuting between them its hard to find time to make substantial progress on my projects.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to John Alden Sloop by Andrew B - Midwest Products - first build