Next kit suggestions

Cannon Fodder

I am working on completing my first wood model ship, Bounty Jolly Boat from AL. I really like the look of Model Shipway's Fair American and it's large scale. But I am afraid I have not the skill to do it justice. Is there another smaller build any of you would recommend to build to help me get there? Maybe a couple more boats. I am in no hurry but have learned that i like this hobby.

Thanks in advance

Cannon Fodder

I would give serious consideration to anything designed by Chuck. ME has 4 models to choose from all of them by Chuck.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I would give serious consideration to anything designed by Chuck. ME has 4 models to choose from all of them by Chuck.

There are alot of good remarks about his designs, I am afraid of the four I should only consider the longboat. Lots of builds here of it. Very similar to what I am finishing fundamentally albeit more complex with frames versus bulkheads.

The Emma C. Berry looks interesting. Similarly rigged sails. I might actually use those instructions to help me finish the Jolly boat. The instructions on the Jolly are poor at best. All I have to go on right now is "The hard part is over, just follow the pictures."

18th Century Longboat by Chuck vs Emma C. Berry- the longboat would probably win out since there are a ton of builds in the community thing going.

The Syren by Chuck is on my list for when I feel confident enough with further acquired/practiced skills.

I have come across some "practicums" out there.  Something like the Phantom? Anyone have comments on those. 

I must confess I started with the practicums too. It is the primary reason my first ship was the Bluenose. But now I would suggest the best "practicum" out there comes with the Syren for Free. Its call the instructions. It is a wonderful book full of color pictures and great suggestions on how to approach a problem. I think there is so much there that can be applied to other builds. I would consider getting just the book if I were you. Or you could just by the Syren kit and read the book and build the model later.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 2 weeks later...

My fascination with ships of war is Has been cemented with reading Master and Comander by Patrick O'Brian. And since I don't have quite the space yet to take up something like the Syren, I am leaning towards the Armed Virginia Sloop. Smaller ship but with cannon however not too many. Anyone whose has experience withy his kit have opinions?

Of the designs by Chuck, I would consider the Pinnace over the longboat for one reason alone, Scale. Although the longboat has plenty of build logs and rigging to boot, its scale is 1/2 that of the Pinnace. Both are constructed similarly, but the longboat is 1:48 vs the Pinnace's 1:24 scale. Plus with both you have Chuck's instructions and Chuck just a PM away. I'm not familiar with the AL Jolly Boats construction method, but the Pinnace and Longboat have an interesting POF method of building. 

Often smaller is mistaken for easier and I've found this not to be the case.

The Emma C Berry is another excellent choice and a step up from the JollyBoat/Ships boat type of build. It is a POF though which is again something to consider for difficulty.

Personally I have found the AL Swift a great learning build and would recommend it to anyone. Its POB and can be build as is or modified. Its a great build to wrap your head around fore and aft rigging and provided many places to upgrade the kit for more accurate rigging. Also they can be picked up really reasonably on ebay. Hope I didn't muddy the waters too awful much. Mainly and most importantly, make sure you love the style boat you chose. Passion goes a long way in this hobby.

Edited by themadchemist

I just bid on the Emma C Berry, interesting hull to build.

You have point about the Swift though, I might have to do that one too. And the longboat.

And voila I have a list of builds to do... Dr.  I need help.

I found that downloading the instructions from online and studying them can give you at least some idea what you are getting yourself into. One thing I felt I , personally was not ready to tackle was a lot of complicated rigging, so I shied away from those models. The Emma C. Berry is $100 at Model Expo now I think. Be mindful of that when you bid  ;) Good luck

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail