H.M.S. Triton 1:48 scale cross section - FINISHED

Good Morning Matrim,

It's funny you should mention "Splinter" as I have been pondering how to go about making a hunched over figure for the lower deck area. In regards to Woody's actual height of 6' tall (1.5 inches), I did not know people were that much smaller. If my math is correct, a person who is 5'7", or to make matters simpler 5'6", my model should be 1 and 3/8 of an inch tall. I guess Splinter will be the first thing I create once I get back from vacation.

Wow. Just Wow... Came across your build and starting reading it and I love the way you have added your own ideas to make it your build. You build fast but nice (very nice). You have inspired me to get back to building my cross section. Looking forward to seeing your completed build, and I believe that will be very soon. lol   :)

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Tim,

I am truly enjoying my vacation but as any other modeler, I am also thinking of how to go about something on my build. The way I see it, if you look/think before you leap you will be able to see a SNAFU long before you get to it.

Ron,

I am glad I was able to re-inspire you to get back to your build. Your first inspiration being that of the beauty of the Triton and (I am going out on a limb here) seeing how one brings their own ideas/drive to make something totally their own. I look forward to the completion of "Your Build".

Edited by ziled68

Hello Raymond!

Just coming back from Ibiza and lookin on your progress... I enjoy "Woody", he, with those blue troussers looks like anyone of us visiting HMS Victory at Pompey... He just made me smile.

I do not like the ropeway of the cannons, too long and quite thin. It´s my opinion. I will copy your Idea of the main hold for the full size project.

Happy Easter!

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Hola Daniel,
I am glad that you liked the idea of Woody and the way I have the main hold area set up. I am also glad that you were honest about not liking the ropeway of my cannons. Only friends can be honest and blunt with each other "Mi Amigo". LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to all,

Another minor update to my Triton but update just the same. I know that it’s been a while since my last update due to the fact that I went on vacation to Puerto Rico (which I might I add I enjoyed immensely).  Upon returning, I decided to tackle the starboard side gangway with its wooden brackets. Upon completion of the gangways, I then made and added the ladders to each gangway and finished it off the gangway with simulated treenails. If you note, there is a height on the aft QD from the gangway that I find to be too high for a man’s natural step. I will add one step at the base of the QD’s beam in order for a man to step naturally from gangway to QD. I have also finished the entry steps to both sides of the Triton, added each side’s fenders, and also added the brakes to the ship’s cistern system.

The next thing on my agenda is to make and install the QD rails, add the skid beams, work on the mast, make and install the lower hold’s platform ladder, and add barrels and ballast. I know that there is still quite a few items left to work on but I figure that if I make a temporary checklist in order to be sure that I tackle the main items, I won’t get to the end and realize that I missed something.  

post-8913-0-69558200-1399136048_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-68135000-1399136065_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-97531400-1399136080_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-80419300-1399136099_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-62592000-1399136115_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-60710100-1399136131_thumb.jpg

Edited by ziled68

Greetings to all,

Many thanks for the kind words and I must admit that it's great to be back. I have another small milestone to report. After viewing Jonathan’s forum, “Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat”, I thought his description and his attention to detail was so well articulated, I’d give it a try and build one from scratch. I went ahead and made a half section of the boat and placed it temporarily on the skid beam as a means of seeing how it will look and I like the look of it. I must admit that if not for his forum I’d never even have tried it and I am quite pleased to say that I found the build quite enjoyable and easy to do. So Jonathan, “Kudos to you Sir”.

post-8913-0-82590800-1399953373_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-56713600-1399953431_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-84409900-1399953447_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-22511100-1399953464_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-02604000-1399953484_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-20350400-1399953498_thumb.jpg

Edited by ziled68

Now that is one I don't think we've seen before.   Well done, Raymond!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Now that is one I don't think we've seen before.   Well done, Raymond!!!

Good Morning Mark,

I really appreciate your comment. I mean with almost 6,000 comments that you've made on everyones forums and you stating that you've never seen anything like my build means a lot. Thanks for making my day.

Ray

Neat idea!! 1/2 of a ship's boat. What next.

Later Tim

Thanks Tim,

I believe that would more than likely be the main mast and spar, water barrels and ballast in the main hold, and a few supply crates on the main hold's platform. Once again, thanks for your kind words.

I've been waiting to see the mast start going up.

Later Tim

Edited by Tim C

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Greetings to all,

Well it’s that time to get started on the mast and spar for my Triton. I went ahead and made and installed the bibbs for the mast followed by iron loops that were simulated with painter’s tape that was blackened with a sharpie and cut into 1/16 inch strips. After the loops were completed, I made and added the hounds followed by more iron hoops. I finished the mast by adding the rubbing paunch and finished that off with simulated treenails.

post-8913-0-20215100-1400161473_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-13209200-1400161561_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-48482800-1400161583_thumb.jpg

Tim,

I really appreciate your vote of confidence. I have Woody singing back-up for me which makes everything better. LOL. I will get started on the trestletree once I get home today. By chance, would you happen to have any drawings with dimensions for a typical tressletree? Just thought I'd ask.

Edited by ziled68

Really wonderful x-section

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Slow down Ray!!! Your getting too far ahead of me.... LOL ;)  Looking good buddy!!! :cheers:  I like the mast!! I've got to stop dragging my anchor and get busy here.... LOL

AL

H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale build in progress

Hey Al,

Dragging your anchor? That might be the lightest anchor ever. Does it float? LOL. Sir, you are progressing much faster than I did. In no time flat you'll catch up and pass me by.

LOL.... some times I think I'm dragging 50 lb. cannon balls behind me .... LOL Anyway....I was in Walmart the other day and cruising thru the craft dept. area and ran across these paint pen markers for $1.97, thinking they might be useful to us in our hobby, worth a try I guess. They come in many colors, I got a black one to try out on some scrap, which I did on some red oak, no bleeding and seemed to cover pretty good. I'll try more test on some planking later on. Thought I'd share this with you. Just in case the ink in the Sharpie pen bleeds in the wood on you, there is something else to try. ;)

AL   

post-11747-0-06081700-1400183902_thumb.jpg

H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale build in progress

Greetings to all,

Since I started on the main mast, I had to go about making the trestle trees and top for the mast. The trestle tree wasn’t really rocket science but the top was a different matter due to the fact that I had to make rabbet joints where the boards met. I’ve already mentioned that I have huge mitts for certain aspects of the build that makes me feel like I’m all thumbs and I don’t have a Byrnes table saw that most people already have. So what I did was cut 1/32” basswood down to size and overlapped the corners of the top. Once dry, I came back and added more strips to fill in the gaps between the overlaps. Upon completion of the top I gave it its shape, added the battens and ring, and finally added the top’s rail. I must point out that on the mast itself; I’ve also added wooldings on every other painter’s tape simulated iron hoop. The following photos will show how my Triton is coming along.

post-8913-0-47943000-1400349762_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-97001400-1400349796_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-88009000-1400350098_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-09792500-1400350156_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-92978500-1400350180_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-16628200-1400350214_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-52199500-1400350235_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-99216700-1400350274_thumb.jpg