Santa Maria by DSiemens - FINISHED - 1:712 scale - BOTTLE

Some one once asked me during my building of the Bounty if it could get any smaller.  Well ....we're about to find out.  I had a friend at work that saw the bottles in my office and asked if I could do one for her.  She handed me this strange little bottle more a jar really and I thought wow that would be a fun challenge.  

First a note on the scale.  When I'm usually asked about scale I tell people it's on the itty bitty scale.  The die hard scale people don't usually appreciate this joke so then I have to tell them the actual.  Before I go into that I'll mention that I got my plans from page 55 of "Story of Sail" by Veres Laszlo and Richard Woodman.  If you follow me at all you know I mention this book a lot.  In truth almost every thing I build comes from Story of Sail.  When I have a thousand plans all at ship in bottle size how can I resist.   :P   I may post plans with the model by it later but I'm always hesitant to post full out plans since I like the book and don't want to infringe the copy right.

Back to scale.  The original plans are noted as 1:300 scale.  To fit this bottle I took a picture of the plans and reprinted them at a smaller size.  I then calculated the ship according to the book to be 89 feet from the back of the hull to the front of the hull not including the bow.  The model is 1.5 inches.  So 89 times 12 is 1068 inches.  Divided by 1.5 inches is 712.  So 1:712 scale.  If I'm wrong on this please correct me.

So far I have carved the hull.  I think it's ready to start adding the hull details.  I may try scribing the planks but I'm not sure yet.  I would like to give the hull a darker color and I'm afraid the scribed planks wouldn't show up.  I'm open to suggestions on that one.  

post-307-0-42536300-1361339451_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-15214300-1361339449_thumb.jpg    

Another quick not on the selection of the ship for this ...jar.  The lady I'm building this for asked me to put a ship in it.  As I always I asked what type of ship would you like.  The most common response after that is either pirate ship or what do you think.  IN this case it was the latter.  So I looked at the bottle and say the emblem and thought that looks a lot like the emblem on the Santa Maria.  So I through that out there.  My client is of direct Spanish decent and thought that would be a perfect.  

I am as excited for this build as much as I am dreading it.  I got really tired of the Bounty by the end which I built specifically small to get ready for this one.  I do think though, using what I learned from the Bounty, this will be a much quicker and more delightful build.   

Really like the bottle, Dan.  Your hull carving of the Santa Maria looks like a fun build from here on out.  Have fun with this one.

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Hey Daniel,

very nice that you start a new build on this "new" forum. I will follow your work happily and I am sure it will be a very nice present for the spanish Lady. My current build  is the Santa Maria too....but in 1:90 scale and it`s almost finished. Have fun with your little one. :-)

Harry

Hey Daniel,

very nice that you start a new build on this "new" forum. I will follow your work happily and I am sure it will be a very nice present for the spanish Lady. My current build  is the Santa Maria too....but in 1:90 scale and it`s almost finished. Have fun with your little one. :-)

Harry

Thanks.  Do you have pictures posted?  I wouldn't mind a bigger ship to reference to. 

Edited by DSiemens

Thanks Bob I think I will.  I don't know that I will be going into as much detail with this one.  Should be a fun quick little build.

Oh brother!  This should be fun :) .  Your first photo and the hull is done!

I'll be following as I really enjoyed your Bounty.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks.  Do you have pictures posted?  I wouldn't mind a bigger ship to reference to. 

Its my plan to post pictures soon....But i guess you will have the bottle sealed until i`ll get the time to start a log about the Santa. ;-) Don't even get to work on it lately. But if i do i`ll let you know.  :) Will you present the ship in the lying or standing bottle?

Thank you all for your comments I really appreciate the compliments.  Augie - Are you kidding me?  The hull's not nearly done yet, still got a ton of work to get the channels and bulwarks on. :P  Thanks for following I enjoyed your feedback on the Bounty.

Hyposhagman- I laid the bottle down because the back ground was a bit messy.  I do most my modeling on the kitchen table and decided to use the counter for photos this time.  Trouble is I just bought a ton of baby food for the little one and didn't want to show it all off.  

I got the hull stained and the planking scribed.  It turned out well I think.  I guess it could be better but trying to draw invisible lines with an exacto knife isn't easy.

post-307-0-53994800-1361432500_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-93480800-1361432502_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-05507100-1361432510_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming you scribed the lines first then stained.  And the stain darkened the scribes 'automatically'.  Is this correct or did you use something special to darken the scribes?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

This was a long process because I only have one stain. I stained the hull lightly so it was all one color.  I then painted the whole thing with two coats of clear fingernail polish.  After that was dry I used an exacto knife and scribed the lines cutting just deep enough to get below the nail polish.  I then stained the ship again only this time I laid it on nice and heavy then wiped off the excess.  The stain went into the cut lines and stained the wood but didn't stain any where the fingernail polish was.    

Aha!  Good thinking.  I like the cut of your jib :)

Thanks Daniel.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Making small progress.  Pun partially intended.  I got the rails on painted on a door and a window.  I chose red doors and white windows so they stand out against the dark wood.  I also added a set of stairs but I'm debating redoing them since they run right into the upper railing.  Appears I need to swab the decks as well. s0132.gif 

post-307-0-53139800-1361819466_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-51597000-1361819480_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-45083400-1361819508_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-81764400-1361819526_thumb.jpg

Here's a few shots of my latest progress.  Now I have to do the same on the other side.  I took out the stairs they just didn't work.  I will have to figure something else out. Not sure what that will be yet.  I guess I can leave them out all together I doubt that it would be noticed.  

post-307-0-77237800-1361949487_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-20854100-1361949489_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-79959700-1361949490_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-19186900-1361949492_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-84895800-1361949486_thumb.jpg

Edited by DSiemens

Daniel, my you work fast. this will be a sweet little model I am looking forward to seeing how you do the rigging.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'll be darned.......I never imagined that you work from PLANS!!!!!!  FULL SIZE plans :)  :)

Incredible!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Those external ribs are very well done.

As for details to include, that's up to you. After all there is still some argument among naval historians whether Santa Maria was a carrack or a caravel. Anything beyond that is a guess, even the painted cross on the main sail.

I'm also curious how you will rig her. Fly tie thread?

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Daniel, my you work fast. this will be a sweet little model I am looking forward to seeing how you do the rigging.

Michael

Thanks.  That's what I like about SIB's they are quiet a bit quicker.  I'm looking forward to how I do the rigging as well.  I got a lot to figure out and some new techniques techniques to try.  

Hey Daniel, for the stairs you can try cigarette or japan paper. Fold it, spray with paint and don`t touch it until its dry. Its still very thin but kinda stabile then and good to work with. Same goes for the sails. 

I'm going to give your idea a shot it sounds like it will work.  I just have to go pick some up.

I'll be darned.......I never imagined that you work from PLANS!!!!!!  FULL SIZE plans :)  :)

Incredible!

Yea cost me all of .10 cents to print can't believe the cost of printing these days.  Hard to store too takes up a whole 3 inches in my tool box.   ;)

Those external ribs are very well done.

As for details to include, that's up to you. After all there is still some argument among naval historians whether Santa Maria was a carrack or a caravel. Anything beyond that is a guess, even the painted cross on the main sail.

I'm also curious how you will rig her. Fly tie thread?

I'm using the same thread I used on my Bounty.  I will unravel a little and use some glue to get it a bit thinner.  I've been meaning to get some fly tie thread I just need to buckle down and spend the 1.50 it takes to get it.  

Thank you all for your comments.  I hope to post more soon.  

Edited by DSiemens

First let me say Hyposphagma, your a genius.  The paper stairs worked great!  I folded the paper back and forth and then pulled it open and got great little stairs.  I noticed I can bend it around enough that I think I will be able to use it for an upcoming ship that has spiral stair cases going around 90 degrees.  Thank you for your help.  

Augie you'll be happy to know I got one of these.  

post-307-0-75032200-1362636150_thumb.jpg

Still getting used to the distortion but it is easier on the eyes.  

Here's some better pics of the current progress.  

post-307-0-28250900-1362636460_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-99850800-1362636458_thumb.jpg

I admit the hatches could be a little better.  I'm still debating staining them with a lighter stain.  I want there to be some contrast so they can be seen but not to much.  This is the first time I've been able to fully rig a ship and not worry about masts folding.  With as wide as the bottle neck is the fore mast is the only one that will need to fold.  

So that's what I got for now.  I forgot I have to add some rails to the decks which will be a little more difficult with the rigging in the way but all well I'll get it.  I plan on putting in as much of the sheet's as I can as well so I will need the rails.  Oh yea and Augie does your charge for tying ratlines go down any now that I have a magnifying glass?  post-307-0-33547700-1362636920.gif

Incredible work Daniel. Even though i can´t really see the stairs on the pictures i am happy it worked well with the paper. On small ships i make the sails out of japan paper also. Once they are stained with wood glue/water or spayed with white paint they become stabile and wonderful to work with. It´s only better not to touch them until they are wet.......

Again, very nice work on the Santa. But the camera really reached its limits to show all the clean and detailed work. I really love it...Are you still sure you will give it away as a present now that it turned out so wonderful  B) ?

Price go down????? No way!!!  Prices go up when aided by the distortion of the magnifier.  If you get a headache, take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning.

Nice work there Dan.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Incredible work Daniel. Even though i can´t really see the stairs on the pictures i am happy it worked well with the paper. On small ships i make the sails out of japan paper also. Once they are stained with wood glue/water or spayed with white paint they become stabile and wonderful to work with. It´s only better not to touch them until they are wet.......

Again, very nice work on the Santa. But the camera really reached its limits to show all the clean and detailed work. I really love it...Are you still sure you will give it away as a present now that it turned out so wonderful  B) ?

Thanks.  I'll have to get out the macro lens and see if I can't get a better shot.  Problem is you look close enough and you see all my mistakes.   :blush:  As far as giving it away yea I have had second thoughts but a deal is a deal.  And I am getting a bonsai tree out of this so I guess it's not really giving away.  

Price go down????? No way!!!  Prices go up when aided by the distortion of the magnifier.  If you get a headache, take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning.

Nice work there Dan.

Thanks.  I actually came up with a plan that worked out well.  Got all my ratlines done in about an hour and they turned out pretty good for the most part.  I do have some unwanted globs of glue on one side.  Any ideas on how to get it off?  If I can't fix it I guess I'll paint them black and hope no one notices.  

" I do have some unwanted globs of glue on one side.  Any ideas on how to get it off?  If I can't fix it I guess I'll paint them black and hope no one notices."  

If the glue was CA you can try to dissolve it with Acetone (Nail color remover). Apply it to the globs with a Q-tip and when the glue turns to liquid state again u can suck it with the edge of some kitchen paper sheet. :-)

Hello Daniel,

It's extraordinary what you are doing. Really a pleasure to see these pictures. Will follow your (tiny) built with interest.

Regards

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Thanks John.   :)

Hyposphagma I gave that a try but it's super glue so no such luck.  A little sanding and a little paint and I think it will be ok.

Here are the updated photo's  I just need to get the sails done some sea done and she's ready to bottle. post-307-0-53085300-1362871064.gif 

post-307-0-83856400-1362871144_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-31060000-1362871146_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-23368500-1362871147_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-22461000-1362871148_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-35019400-1362871151_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-37562000-1362871152_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-88399600-1362871153_thumb.jpg

I was trying to get in with my macro lens but it seems this project my be to small even for that lens.  All well that's what makes it so fun.

The forward stay is a bit loose.  This is because it needs to flod back to get into the bottle.  With as wide as the bottle neck is the other sails don't need to fold so I was able to get the lines nice and tight.   

Standing by for bottling, Sir!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking good, Daniel.

I don't see any ladders yet.  Still working on them?

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Daniel,

She really is a beauty. You did a wonderful job.

Regards

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Well I was hoping to bottle it today but my nerves have had it.  You can only work with this small of a ship for so long.  I got one more sail to do and then I just got to get her in.  Should have her done tomorrow with any luck.  

Sorry Augie you'll have to stand by a little longer.        

Thank you John for your compliments.  

Molasses I tried putting in ladders but it's just to darn small.  I managed to get the stairs in but I can't seem to get a solid picture of them.  Seem's like there's always some rigging or other in the way.  

Through the process of learning thread ladders though I found a new way to glue on ratlines.  I really like the back stay method where the lines are threaded back and forth to they really are one continuous line.  With a pin drill I managed to get holes small enough to be thread through the chain plate and up another hole in the chain plate back and forth until the back stays were in.  I then created a thread ladder just over the width and height of the stays where I would be threading my ratlines.  Once the ladder was done I glued it onto the stays and cut off the outside parts so only the ratlines were left.  This helped me get good spacing between the lines as well as allowing me to do them all at once instead of one miserable piece of thread at a time.  With the Bounty it took at least a week to get the rat lines in.  With my new method it took around an hour.  

Well done Daniel on the ratlines! I am not even attempting them on the victory. Maybe next time!

Matt