Airbrush vs Hand Brush

I am still waiting for my first wooden ship model to show up in the mail so I have been reading a lot of build threads on this web site to gain some insight. I see that most people when painting the hull and whales use 20-30 thin passes with a paint brush so that the brush marks are not visible. Is there any reason that this preferable over using an airbrush with just a couple passes? I build military models so I already have the gear but I am guessing that the lack of owning an airbrush is not the only reason to not use one.

There are several individuals who either do not like using them to probably not having the room to.

David B

Edited by dgbot

I have an airbrush as like you I also build aircraft and armour. It was one of the best investments I made. However depending on what i am painting a hairy stick can be best. For my Granado I airbrushed the hull below the waterline. Just too big an area to get wrong. I also airbrushed the wales. For the interior I used a brush and I find 2 or 3 coats of thinned acrylic paint is just fine.

If I just built ships I am less convinced that an airbrush would be a sound investment but with over 60 aircraft built and a dozen or so tanks well.....

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 3 weeks later...