I think I posted on another thread, but I echo the very positive response from others on here.  A lot of the techniques are relatively simple and intuitive, but you're left coming away with saying "how didn't I think of that?" :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I have some time between assignments so I finally just ordered a copy. I just had to see what all the talk was about and at $40 it is less expensive than some of the books I bought.

Seriously, I am at the very early stages of considering a scratch build and hoped this would help visualize some areas in which I am experiencing difficulty.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone had any trouble with this site? I ordered the DVD and after playing it, the DVD stopped about half way through. I have tried to contact them through the support email address but have gotten no response. Unfortunately the Paypal part of the payment section did not work so I used a credit card, and it looks like that may have been  poor decision.

Dave

Just tried to order with Paypal too. No go. After reading NHDave's comment I don't think I'll go down the credit card track. Pity, it looked good.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I tried every way I could to get the rest of the video to play and it was a no go. Like I said, the content is very informative and I certainly don't mind the non-professional editing, etc. What gives me reason to write this is the fact that I received no response whatsoever from the individuals concerning my problem. When you advertise a product and it doesn't meet the customers expectations, i.e. 1.5 hrs. of play rather than the 3 hrs. advertised, I believe you at least owe an email explanation. Anyway, enough of my complaints.

NHDave , did you try ripping the DVD to a computer hard drive? If you can do this successfully you may be able to view each of the VOB files from the disk individually using a media player such as VLC. There should be 4 - 5 VOB files on a DVD.

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Good News! Actually, I should have used the term COPY rather than RIP in my previous post. Ripping changes the format and combines the VOB files into one file on your hard drive. Copying does just that, it copies the files `as is' onto your H/D. If you have ripped it and it works, great! If it still faults, try COPYING it to a folder on your hard drive. Then you will see files like this:

VTS_01_0

VTS_01_1

VTS_01_2

..... and so on. Right click on each one individually with your mouse and chose whatever media player you use to play them. They should work (touch wood)

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Hornet,

Actually I'm not very computer savy so I hadn't a clue what rip means...thought it might be slang for copy, so that's what I did, copied to a file on my HD.

"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile". Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Ok NHDave but just for your info and anyone else out there who may have bought this disk and is having difficulty playing it, when you look at the files you have copied from the disk onto your hard drive, you should see the following files:

Video_TS.IFO

Video_TS.VOB

Video_TS.BUP

These files define the structure of the disk and tell your disk player which file to play first and in what order. The BUP file is a backup for the IFO file

VTS_01_0.Vob - If the disk has a menu, it will be in this file.

VTS_01_1.Vob

VTS_01_2.Vob

.....and so on. These are the files on which the audio and video of the disk are stored. These are the ones you want to view.

The disk may also contain other files such as:

VTS_02_1.Vob

VTS_03_1.Vob

These files usually contain extra features such as behind the scene footage. I don't think your DVD would have any of these though.

I suspect that either or both of the Video_TS.IFO & the Video_TS.VOB files are faulty on yours and other disks from this seller.

Hopefully you should be able to view the whole content of the disk by viewing each of the VOB files in turn. There is a way of putting these files back onto a DVD but you would need video editing software to do this.

I might add that if this is the case then it is very poor form that the producers continue to sell the disk. Little wonder that ordering through Paypal does not work. Paypal has probably disowned them.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Well guys, I have no idea how many chapters are on the disk or even if the disk is single or dual layered as I don't have it. However, NHDave copied it to the hard drive of his computer and says he way able to access more of the video than from the disk. Give it a go and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Geoff, I think you may be correct about Credit Cards having customer protection. I favour Paypal and use it whenever possible. To me it adds an extra layer of protection. It is a shame that DHDave has been unable to contact the publisher though. It would be better for him if he got his problem sorted out by them.

Brian, thanks for the thought, but best leave the pirating to those who reside in the Caribbean.

Steve

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

OK, I'll chime in one more time; Here are the "chapters" on the disk: The Plans, Internal Construction, Hull Construction, Keel Joint, Deck Beams, Gun Ports, Deck Nails, Deck Caulking, Top Deck Construction, Top Deck Planking, Top Deck Varnishing, and Beveling. Granted, some of these chapters or subjects are fairly brief, but total play time is about 3hr 18 min. My disk played thru Gun Ports (about half way through) and acted as if there was no material recorded in the remaining chapters, even though they were listed in the intro.

After following Hornet's suggestion, I have been able to view the remainder of the disc. When copied to a folder on my HD, the files were exactly as described by Hornet, and my video player has had no trouble playing the disk.

Thanks again Hornet.

Dave

Just one final word from me too NHDave, If you want to combine the VOB files that you have copied into one large file on your computer so they will play seamlessly, there are programs available (for free) on the internet that will do it for you. Or, you can do as I do, and combine them from the command prompt(assuming you are running windows) - This is a little more complicated - but not much!

The resulting file will not work on a DVD Disk, but will play happily on your computer's media player or any other media player and means you do not have to click on separate files if you want to watch the whole video.

Just type the following into google - or whatever search engine you use:

- combining vob files into one file

or

- combining vob files from command prompt (this one is for windows computers only)

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

• 2 weeks later...

How long did it take for you guys to get the disk after ordering?

Been waiting two weeks and no word yet...

-Hans Christian

Current build

-La Belle 1684 (Scracth build)

-Oseberg (Billing Boats) (On hold)

-Falmouth (Euromodel) (On hold)

Just thought I'd give a final update on my correspondence with Model Shipbuilding Secrets. I finally received a reply today in answer to my Oct 18 email to their customer support address. I was offered a refund due to the viewing issues, but declined as I have been able to access the contents thanks to Hornet.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Nigel,

Great thread, Nice links to the Russian site. Dr Mike is well, amazing.

So many amazing builders, one of whom (along with other champions) has a build log here at MSW-- Scratch build section -Alexandru HMS Victory, beyond astonishing. I'm sure that most of your reading this thread are familiar with his work/art.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks!

Happy christmas and a hope that you have a happy ending of 2014 :)

Over on Youtube on the chanel "Modelsworldru";

https://www.youtube.com/user/modelsworldru/videos

you can see about 80 (!) videos from what I believe is this Dr Mike. Most of them about 30 mins long!

This might actually BE in part the DVD and MORE.

Prepare for loooong nights ;) I think it is almost an entire build log in video format. And other stuff too.

Really made me wanna order some stuff from Proxxon. Seems to be very nice machines.

Cheers!

Edited by VonHoldinghausen

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

Thanks for the link Vanholdinghausen :)  :) I had only come across the armour ones previously.Ninety percent of this stuff isn't on the DVD!!!This must have been footage that was cut out/never used.

Watched two already,it is addictive,that is my building time reduced for the next month or so :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I've collated all the 77 videos available on YouTube of the Australians' visit to Dr. Mike. The complete list (with the  titles in Russian) is at

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5wX2_PJGI8sxN_zzXNTWaZ9qi-U_9Zp7

I've used Google translate to compile the list in English with links but I find I can't paste the sheet without losing the formatting, and I don't seem to be permitted to attach Word or Excel files. So if anyone wants this list, you can download either the Excel or Word files from DropBox at

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rx2ygepydpn2kja/AAD5j9X6QiKpQp_MhWU4Fcxla?dl=0

Tony